The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

The same could be said of the Ro80 - long travel suspension, yet still able to corner as if on rails.

And the humble 2CV. It'll scrape the outer door handles on the tarmac before it'll unstick.

On the Beetle, it looks like Mac strut front suspension too, which corroborates the 1303 identification. Not a real Beetle in my somewhat opinionated opinion ;}.

And the humble 2CV. It'll scrape the outer door handles on the tarmac before it'll unstick.

Demonstrated in one of the James Bond films, I think?

On the Beetle, it looks like Mac strut front suspension too, which corroborates the 1303 identification. Not a real Beetle in my somewhat opinionated opinion ;}.

The 1303 was designated "Super Beetle", made for a few years from about 1973. I always thought it looked slightly less primitive because of the now-curved windscreen.

Edited by Horsetan

I saw the Saab 96 mentioned a few pages back, ....comical amounts of body roll. Have no idea how they managed to make something stick to the road so well yet lean so much, especially when you consider how narrow the tyres are. 

I think it was that Saab that was responsible for my first born car mad son's first words (after all the usual "ma ma ma Ma" stuff)

"Roo Poop".

...which was the sound the distinctive shaped car's 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine made. We even called the family dog "Roo Poop"

When he was six he was still fascinated by Saabs - we lived in Tanzania at that time and Saabs invariably won the East African Safari.

dh

• RMweb Gold

Seen at the Beamish Great North Steam Fair on 9th April 2015.

post-5613-0-67554400-1428680847_thumb.jpg

Ford DSC_5812

post-5613-0-66138200-1428680852_thumb.jpg

MG DSC_5702

post-5613-0-69496900-1428680858_thumb.jpg

Rolls Royce DSC_5816

post-5613-0-61946600-1428680863_thumb.jpg

Stanley Steam car DSC_5701

David

• Like 8

S'funny how it was always Allegros and Marinas that were in that diarrhoea brown colour. I guess they were trying to tell you something . . .

After my first XR3 was written off, I replaced it with a Y reg Sierra 2.0GL. Not only was it brown, but the shape had certain characteristics that led it to be rather unaffectionately know as "The Turd". You'll be delighted to know that there are no known photos of it!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes remember seeing that car in the Science Museum, JET 1 if memory serves. All that power and still using drum brades.

IIRC even the XK120 had drum brakes. The first vehicle with disc brakes on all four wheels was the Coventry Armoured car.

Think there used to be a red one on the opening credits of the Antiques Roadshow. Best part of the programme....!!

Indeed, with a large painting stowed behind the seats and sticking up above windscreen level. Having once experienced the results of having a pigeon hit the top edge of the screen of my Spitfire, I'm really not sure if I'd transport a genuinely antique artwork that way :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, just Googled it. Something I'd never seen before.

And if you ever think of buying one take a very careful look at the floorpan before making your decision - they developed quite a reputation for 'floor rot' hence got down to quite low prices in the aftermarket at one time notwithstanding their looks.

Mike, I'm very much a blue collar everyday Ford bloke, so little chance I'll ever be in the market. As far as looks go, it doesn't quite sit right with me... can't quite put my finger on it, but the lines seem a little "awkward" somehow. The dead straight lines of the fins seem to be at odds with the curves elsewhere. I'd genuinely never seen one before stumbling across the picture.

Regarding floor rot, sadly that's common across a lot of marques. Just one of the many pitfalls, I guess. I certainly wouldn't take a gamble on an old car without having a decent garage to keep it in, a good selection of tools, and more skill and knowledge than I currently possess! One day...

Mike, I'm very much a blue collar everyday Ford bloke, so little chance I'll ever be in the market. As far as looks go, it doesn't quite sit right with me... can't quite put my finger on it, but the lines seem a little "awkward" somehow. The dead straight lines of the fins seem to be at odds with the curves elsewhere. I'd genuinely never seen one before stumbling across the picture.

Regarding floor rot, sadly that's common across a lot of marques. Just one of the many pitfalls, I guess. I certainly wouldn't take a gamble on an old car without having a decent garage to keep it in, a good selection of tools, and more skill and knowledge than I currently possess! One day...

The Daimler, along with things like the Jensens of the era, and a few others more mainstream like the Chevrolet Corvette, were good examples of what happens when stylists discover what they can do with a new material (fibreglass in this instance) and go a bit overboard on the Dan Dare stuff because, suddenly, they can. Whether they should is another matter.

• Like 1

DAimler Dart/SP250 indeed it is!

They used Triumph running gear [from the TR range]...and the truly excellent Daimler 2 1/2 litre V8 [Turner-designed] engine.

Whilst the shape is an acquired taste,there can be no denying the excellent performance on the road.

I recall the 'family' GP driving one when I lived in Sutton Coldfield, back in the early 1960's.

This wasn't the first of Daimler's sporty cars.....[Conquest Century Roadster springs to mind too].....so they didn't just produce limo's or buses!

And if one thinks its shape isweird, note the styling queuues are still seen in todays cars.....just check out the fronts, for example, on every Fordhyundaikiadaciarenaultfiatvwskodaseatchryslerandsoonandsoon tha one comes across in every traffic jam one sits in [sorry, cannot equate todays transportation to actual 'driving'...more like, get on the conveyeor, get off the conveyor?].....and like Pete above, I sadly cannot tell the difference between any of today.s new offerings.....they all look alike, and since the demise of the tax disc, I can no longer accurately identify the maker anymore......!

Plus, i suspect, very few of today's modern 'drivers' actually have any idea of what it is they are driving! [it's a 'car'..that's all we need to know!]

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 1

After my first XR3 was written off, I replaced it with a Y reg Sierra 2.0GL. Not only was it brown, but the shape had certain characteristics that led it to be rather unaffectionately know as "The Turd". You'll be delighted to know that there are no known photos of it!!!

but did you ever polish it just to prove the analogy wrong ?

Good spot on a car with no glass :)

The giveaway is the much larger opening in front.

The more obvious giveaway is the restyled dash, which was unique to 1303 variants and the McPherson strut front suspension, which these shared with the flat screen 1302

I used to go to Santa Pod in the early years of British Drag Racing ('64-'69) and remember a Dart competing. It was rather quick.

Pete

Quite apart from that, the Daimler V8s seem to have been quite popular as drag engines in the UK. There was, IIRC, a model B roadster called All Shook Up which used a basically stock 4.5 litre version removed from a Majestic Major hearse. There was also, c1981-2 a series in the magazine Hot Rod and Custom on how to turn the 2.5 litre into a 700 hp, 7 second engine for 700 quid. I can't remember the exact details but I suspect that a Roots blower off a Commer 2-stroke truck (still fairly common in scrapyards at the time) may have been involved. I think it may have been written by the bloke who built the Austin Ruby drag car Rubellion which was Daimler powered.

• Like 2

You want to go old Pete there's no problem with floor rust repairs, Half hour with a jig saw and some 15mm ply and the Rover was done. Actually it took a bit longer as once cut using the old board as a pattern it had 5 coats of yacht varnish and felt strip seals gluing round the edge but it didn't take no more than an afternoon to remove the old and once varnished refit the new boards.

Going back to the Daimler I've had two of the Daimler V8 2.5 the Jag Mk 2 shape ones. A lovely engine I would say almost if not as good as the 3.4 Mk 2 anyway far better than the 2.4 one with a sound that's to die for but compared to the Rover they take a lot of looking after to keep then on top notch like any old Jag nice cars but be prepared to have deep pockets where as the Rover other than a once a year oil change and service all you have to do is trim the wick and sharpen the flint from time to time. Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 2