The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Worse than an Allegro?

The Rancho was an example of a concept before its time. The so called "crossover", looks like a 4X4 but isn't. When the Chelsea yummy mummies started to drive Range Rovers, etc. to establish their weekend in the country credentials, the car marketers saw an opportunity to produce something for the masses. Qashgi anyone?

I've never driven an Allegro. But from my experience of other BL fwd cars, I would be surprised if it was all that bad.

Nissan have done very well with the Qashqai (apart from the name).

I found Allegro gearchanges to be a trifle rubbery. 5 gears were a novelty.  Although, [iIRC]5th gear was  rather more of an 'overdrive'.

Once had prolongued use of a 1500 estate.....far more practical than the saloon. [used to deliver, among other things, school dinners to outlying primary schools..from a central school kitchen? ]

Also had use of Vauxhall Victor estate....which I preferred.   [FC]

All this between 1979-1981

• Like 1

Although the Rolls Royce collection is impressive, to my mind the best car there was the ADO16 VDP Princess . . . . . . . . . .

Dunno about the best, but I'd say it was in with a fighting chance of being the rarest :D.

• RMweb Premium

Dunno about the best, but I'd say it was in with a fighting chance of being the rarest :D.

And there's one less on the road after this accident

https://www.facebook.com/dorsetpolicenoexcuse/photos/a.574502142682209.1073741828.549152465217177/843508139114940/?type=3&theatre

What a sad end to a lovely car . . . . . . . .

• RMweb Premium

The Princess was bought for his parents when they were getting too old to drive one of the Rollers.  It's been in quite a few magazines, it is truly original and mint.  All those cars are driven regularly by the way.

I think you are spot-on there Brian. I found a few photos of the 1949 model Plymouth club coupe, like this one

gallery_31752_15_1431474672_4840.jpg

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Whatever happened to whitewall tyres?

Brian.

• Like 2

I found Allegro gearchanges to be a trifle rubbery. 5 gears were a novelty. 

I'm not sure how I'd describe the gearchange on my old 1750 Allegro. But 'rubbery' wouldn't be it.

It got a lot more interesting when the rubber bobbins holding the mechanism to the bottom of the floor failed and the whole lot dragged along the road unless you held the gear lever up.

I'm not sure how I'd describe the gearchange on my old 1750 Allegro. But 'rubbery' wouldn't be it.

As well as the double de-clutching, I developed a technique for avoiding jerky gear changes that made some passengers ask if it was an automatic. I think I got quite adept at coping with its quirks, as after all it said "1750 Sport" on the boot lid, so I had to try to make it perform like a sports car. In a straight line anyway!

I think you are spot-on there Brian. I found a few photos of the 1949 model Plymouth club coupe, like this one

gallery_31752_15_1431474672_4840.jpg

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Whatever happened to whitewall tyres?

Brian.

They all got shipped to Australia and used on completely inappropriate cars in the great Australian tradition of unnecessarily bu$%@&ing up classics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few photos I took at the Steam and Vintage Rally at Corbridge in Northumberland today.

post-5613-0-25058200-1465662958_thumb.jpg

Corbridge car transporters

post-5613-0-48621800-1465662964_thumb.jpg

Corbridge cars on a car transporter

post-5613-0-91429500-1465662971_thumb.jpg

Morris 10

post-5613-0-44273800-1465662979_thumb.jpg

Morris and Austin

post-5613-0-21467200-1465662986_thumb.jpg

Morris Minors

David

• Like 10

What's the two-tone blue car on the bottom deck, underneath the sign saying "RILEY AUSTIN MORRIS"

A Vauxhall Magnum I believe, 1800cc or 2300cc version of the HC Viva. Better trim, four headlights instead of two, and Rostyle wheels.

A Vauxhall Magnum I believe, 1800cc or 2300cc version of the HC Viva. Better trim, four headlights instead of two, and Rostyle wheels.

Looks more like a Viva with Rostyles, Magnums had extra chromework around the windows and bodysides.

• Like 1

I agree, it's likely a Viva HC.....having blown up the second photo, there is a teeny bit of the headlight surround showing....with a chrome-looking surround, making it {I seem to think]  a rectangular headlight...the Magnum had quad headlights, round, with a black surround.

Bring back the Brabham Viva?   :)

• 2 weeks later...

A few pictures of older gas-powered vehicles taken in the West Kootenays of BC in the last week:

A 1929 Harley-Davidson in the Castlegar town museum,

post-1771-0-75879500-1466984397.jpg

A Studebaker Avanti in the carpark of the hotel we were staying in. Quite unusual looking. I believe the word 'Avanti' is associated with moving forward in Italian. Perhaps someone can tell us the Italian for 'bass ackwards' - the front of the car, with the fins, looks like the back.

post-1771-0-91466400-1466984394.jpg

Forgot to note the name of this one - also in the hotel carpark.

post-1771-0-96897000-1466984391.jpg

And another 'unidentified', though from blowing up the picture, the word on the front fender appears to be 'Mercury', which would fit with the 'M' on the hood.

post-1771-0-60101100-1466984402.jpg

• Like 8