MGA Coupe 1960

post-13586-0-64043000-1501257418_thumb.jpg

Riley 1.5 1953

post-13586-0-94059200-1501257644_thumb.jpg

Westfield (Lotus 11 replica) 2008

post-13586-0-21319500-1501257689_thumb.jpg

Hoping to see a few different cars next month weather permitting

• Like 15

Some cars here that maybe could have been saved.

The only car in that video that looks as if it was worth saving was the big American one (a 1936 Buick Century perhaps?).

• Like 1

The only car in that video that looks as if it was worth saving was the big American one (a 1936 Buick Century perhaps?).

An interesting film but the problems discussed are depressingly familiar even now. Especially fly tipping.

steve

Some cars here that maybe could have been saved.  Oh if only we knew then what we know now!

https://www.facebook.com/sittingthererottingonadriveway/videos/1419776051438902/

Interesting that what appears to be a "travellers" camp where car dismantling is taking place seems to be regarded as a good thing; helping the metal salvaging effort. Somewhat different to the way those same people are regarded today.

• RMweb Premium

At the beginning in the scrapyard I espied an Austin A40 *Dorset, now very rare, only 7 left. *2 door version of the Devon.

No photos alas as I was driving, but on the M40 yesterday I copped an eyeful of not one but two Ferrari Dino 246s, a yellow 246GT going north in the morning, and a red 246GTS going south in the afternoon. Unbelievable!

• Like 1

Thirty or so 'proper' Minis arrayed on Yarmouth seafront earlier, only one imposter, courtesy of Colchester Mini club according to the rally style plates they were displaying. The club banner being propped up under the wheel of a Focus ST?? Perhaps they thought a mini would get blown over?

Sorry about the people in the shots but they just stood there for ages

post-110-0-72489000-1501433571_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-00529700-1501433611_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thirty or so 'proper' Minis arrayed on Yarmouth seafront earlier, only one imposter, courtesy of Colchester Mini club according to the rally style plates they were displaying. The club banner being propped up under the wheel of a Focus ST?? Perhaps they thought a mini would get blown over?

Sorry about the people in the shots but they just stood there for ages

attachicon.gifIMG_20170730_135408112.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170730_135342475.jpg

That's an interesting grp (I assume) beastie on the left. I thought I was familiar with most of the Mokealikes offered by the kit car industry but I appear to have missed that one.

Saw an unusual beast yesterday at a garage, a Morris Minor camper van. Can't be many of them about.

steve

Although i haven't seen one, it makes a certain amount of sense. The chassised construction of the Minor commercials would lend itself to the addition of a one-off camper body quite nicely. It's asking a bit of an A-Series to pull it, but if you fit a 1275 and aren't in too much of a hurry...

• RMweb Premium

Saw an unusual beast yesterday at a garage, a Morris Minor camper van. Can't be many of them about.

steve

Although i haven't seen one, it makes a certain amount of sense. The chassised construction of the Minor commercials would lend itself to the addition of a one-off camper body quite nicely. It's asking a bit of an A-Series to pull it, but if you fit a 1275 and aren't in too much of a hurry...

There are at least two in existance. IIRC both have had the wheelbase extended by a foot or so and one at least has a B series 1800cc engine.

• Like 1

steve

I have learned from my go-to fount of all Minor knowlege, Rippers (Neil Ripley), that there were 20 ex-GPO vans converted by a London company into campers. There was also one legit BMC conversion that is currently resident in Ireland. The one I saw Neil reckons is probably one owned by a MMOC member in Barnsley.

steve

Love the Westfield!

I prefer MGAs to Bs yoo.

steve

Bizarrely having not seen one in a long time, I saw two within the space of half an hour on Friday - a red one at a set of traffic lights in Bury St Edmonds, and a white one in the overflow car park at Ickworth House :-)

• Like 2

If you've a spare 90 minutes or so....

Stanley Baker plays a moderately credible nasty and Anthony Steele and James Robertson Justice the other main stars. But ignore the plot, and the love interest, to watch the last 20-30 minutes of road racing across northern Italy in the '50s, Plenty of early Astons and Italian exotica [including, at one stage, an ancient and fabulous Lancia taxi], at least one 300 Gullwing, early TRs and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbpNV_R-R8c

Tony

• Like 3

Plenty of Revo's (Lamposts) in this photographic collection taken throughout the 1960's.

http://www.brumpic.com/the-az-of-phyllis-nicklin-harborne/

The Motors are ancillary but a great modelling reference for anybody modelling the period.

Check out the National Benzole pumps at  Mews Garage with the shops opposite selling everthing from Esso Blue to Coke Cola then look at the now view  on Google Streets,

https://goo.gl/maps/wQ5HB53bURB2

I'm not sure if things have changed for the better?

A few pics of Longbridge works here:

http://www.brumpic.com/the-az-of-phyllis-nicklin-longbridge-maypole-nechells-and-newtown/

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There was a globe of a national pump for sale on eBay for £1800!

I'm restoring a pair of later national pumps which originally had globes but I won't be fitting them unless I can get some plastic replica's

Don't see many BMW E12 5-series on the road these days. This one, seen just now in the Springbridge Road multi-storey, is 40 years old and should be tax-exempt already, if not by next year....

attachicon.gifIMG_20170629_152002.jpg

I never noticed the change from 1972 for tax exemption - what happened? IIRC, it was originally going to be a rolling 25 year thing, but then Mr Blair came to power in 1997 and froze the date at 1972, where it remained. Is it a 40-year rolling exemption now, or something more confusing?

Meanwhile my attempt to make an appointment to see a blue Citroën CX GTi (currently on eBay failing to make its reserve) in Stoke-on-Trent seems to have been rebuffed. Owner has sent a non-commital "thank you for your interest" reply. His Buy-It-Now price is £3250, which I suspect is also his reserve price.

I never noticed the change from 1972 for tax exemption - what happened? IIRC, it was originally going to be a rolling 25 year thing, but then Mr Blair came to power in 1997 and froze the date at 1972, where it remained. Is it a 40-year rolling exemption now, or something more confusing?

It was reintroduced by George Osborne, but the rolling exemption now starts at 40 years, so anything built or registered in 1977 or earlier will qualify. You still have to apply for it, though.

See also pages 10 and 11 of this leaflet

Edited by Horsetan

I have learned from my go-to fount of all Minor knowlege, Rippers (Neil Ripley), that there were 20 ex-GPO vans converted by a London company into campers. There was also one legit BMC conversion that is currently resident in Ireland. The one I saw Neil reckons is probably one owned by a MMOC member in Barnsley.

steve

Something like this?

post-276-0-07653900-1501941930.jpg

• Like 5