RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Here's the final video of the XW Falcon. It sounds and looks a little different now. Oddly enough the Barra six in my own Falcon produces more HP than the Cleveland in this XW. But mine sounds no where near as nice. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Tail lights "they'e Lotus Elan" - Well, kind of. They're the same as a Lotus Elan, but they started out on the 1961-4 Vauxhall Victor FB.

Funnily enough someone pointed this out on one of the forums too! Lots of parts sharing in those days, particularly with lights and door fittings.

I've just secured some period brown tinted glass to go in the Cooper S from a mate who's had it stashed away for decades, I might be buying the 'Motolux' dash from his barn find Mk1 Cooper S project too, it needs a lot of work but it's do-able and I've found someone who can refurbish it properly for me, it's made by a firm called Northampton Coachbuilders who were based at Westonia Garage on the Wellingborough Road. The car it came out of looks like the proverbial basket case but the restoration is coming along nicely, it's not been on the road since 1973 and said mate has been trying to prise it away from the owner for about twenty years, it's a genuine 1275 S that was built in March '65 but wasn't registered until November '66, probably because it wasn't that highly specced having just a single fuel tank and no oil cooler etc...

AS #5 DASH IMG_4898.jpg

AS #3 dash.jpg

AS #1.jpg

AS #2 rear%20seat.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

At the NEC today...

DSCF4014.JPG

Not surprised by the condition......it has under 8000 miles on the clock!

The colour is probably why it is not taken out much :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I could never understand why they didn't make the tiger a two door. It also had the long rectangular speedo with the rev counter in a separate pod rather than the six dial round dash 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

8,000 miles...? It's done about 55,000 actually! Spent some of its life in a private collection though which accounts for the condition, my mate has owned it for twelve years now ;)

That’s not what the UK Gov MoT record says......aha speedo change at 50K odd......why on earth do people not just adjust the new speedo to the correct mileage? Easy done :lol:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

I could never understand why they didn't make the tiger a two door. It also had the long rectangular speedo with the rev counter in a separate pod rather than the six dial round dash 

The last version was a 3 door hatch with slightly shorter wheelbase.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

With a very nice front spoiler and Ti badges!

Thats another strange thing, now I know they added a few pounds to the car but the lotus would have looked better with the TI's front and rear spoilers. I did consider adding a tear one to my lotus but they had Ti moulded into them

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

......why on earth do people not just adjust the new speedo to the correct mileage? Easy done :lol:

Cos' it'd wipe thousands off the value.....buyer beware....   ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

That’s not what the UK Gov MoT record says......aha speedo change at 50K odd......why on earth do people not just adjust the new speedo to the correct mileage? Easy done :lol:

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Cos' it'd wipe thousands off the value.....buyer beware....   ;)

Its a criminal offence to alter the mileage on a speedometer and many cannot be altered for that very reason. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Its a criminal offence to alter the mileage on a speedometer and many cannot be altered for that very reason. 

True, but if the speedo is replaced because the previous one went u/s and then the seller declares that the mileage cannot be verified etc. then no offence has been commited.....

• Agree 1

Much nicer show than the full-blown classics one. No hoards of people, plenty of room and plenty of people to chat to. We'll be going there next year and not the classics show. Parked up at Marston Green station and took the train £2 return...

• Like 4