Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Its a criminal offence to alter the mileage on a speedometer and many cannot be altered for that very reason. 

I recall that it's not an offence to alter the mileage displayed, but it is an offence to mis-represent the mileage when you are selling the car.  As people have noted, cars sometimes need to have the instrument cluster replaced.  I've got a motorcycle that was a grey import with a KM/H speedo, the last owner replaced the clocks with some calibrated for miles, so I know the mileage displayed isn't the true figure and if I sold the bike I'd make the situation clear.  I suspect there are some receipts that would allow the true mileage to be estimated if it really mattered.

• Like 3

Tbh I'd always take the mileage on a classic with a pinch of salt, by their nature they're very likely to have been fiddled about with,....

I've got a Morris Minor that the speedo has died, I've got at least 2 spares so when i can be arsed I'll doubtless cobble one together that works, I'll probably re set the milage to a reasonable one viz its last known figure.

I've also got an old Land Rover that only shows about 10 thou! I'm sure it's done a bit more than that since the 60s..!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

GTD40 reminds me of the real one.......I always struggled fitting in! :lol:

gt40 HEAD.jpg

You lucky, lucky... @@@*&&$££****!!! Did you get to drive it David or just grace the bucket seat with your presence..? A rare old beast that, one of the seven MkIIIs! :wub:

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Non classic (but old) car news: I should be getting my BMW cooper s back on Friday from MOT, full service and lowering.

assuming it passes its MOT and they don’t find anything major up with it i’ve got a huge box of bits to go on it if the weather is good at the weekend, black cooper S badges and mini logos, 4 spotlights, black Union Jack decal for the panoramic sunroof, side door stripes and probably other stuff I’ve forgotten about too! 

I’ll get it taxed on 1st April and sorted 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

You lucky, lucky... @@@*&&$££****!!! Did you get to drive it David or just grace the bucket seat with your presence..? A rare old beast that, one of the seven MkIIIs! :wub:

I could not possibly say as insurance cover was limited to only two people on our test track, then again.........it was OUR test track :mocking_mini:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2019 at 22:43, peanuts said:

i have been trying to catch this beauty for a few months but always been driving finaly got lucky outside the local chippy owner also has a v8 saloon 

20190325_223858.jpg

What is it about going to the chippy that makes people park so badly? The equivalent in France is bakeries and tobacconists.

If I had that beauty, I would definitely be more careful with it.

• Agree 5

Going through some old negs' again and found these two, one from Portmerion N. Wales taken in 1988. The Moke i was told was an original from the T.V. series. The shop was then run by a guy called Max Hora who kept the 'Prisoner interest going for many years in the Village. The other pic' i think? was from a car museum that was in a back Street in Porthmadog, but sadly closed many years ago....if not there then it maybe Haynes? If anyone is interested in the Prisoner telly show the annual convention is being held in the Village end of next week, 6-7th April.  Last year another original Moke was on show.:)

11-30-2018_075.jpgalg.jpg

12-21-2018_016pp.jpg

• Like 10

For anyone who wasn't at the NEC last weekend for the Classic Car & Restoration Show, Pete C of Cortina City has done a nice round up of what was on show. Lots of old cars in a variety of conditions:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Today I'm gutted.

About ten years ago I bought a '91 Range Rover Vogue (3.9 V8) for £1400.  It had plenty of faults, drank fuel but it was wonderful, I drove it for a year before it blew up spectacularly, so it went via eBay for £400.  

Today I found an identical model in Auto Trader, admittedly half the mileage and no doubt with fewer faults, but for £24,995. 

Now I really wish I'd just parked mine up somewhere secure.... not because I could have made a load of money out of it (that's not the point of cars for me), but I now know I will never be able to afford another Charles Spen King Rangie.

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 25/03/2019 at 09:29, Porkscratching said:

Tbh I'd always take the mileage on a classic with a pinch of salt, by their nature they're very likely to have been fiddled about with,....

I've got a Morris Minor that the speedo has died, I've got at least 2 spares so when i can be arsed I'll doubtless cobble one together that works, I'll probably re set the milage to a reasonable one viz its last known figure.

I've also got an old Land Rover that only shows about 10 thou! I'm sure it's done a bit more than that since the 60s..!

Oh, I don’t know. 10 thousand miles in fifty years sounds good going for a Land Rover ;) I can think of one around here that can scarcely get to the MoT station once a year ... one of my brothers-in-law once had a real shocker, I remember him stopping in Peterborough on the way from Northampton to Cambridge, it took a full bucket of water and at least 3 pints of oil to complete the trip. 

He used to say “Land Rovers will start and run in mechanical condition that no other car will manage”. That may well be true - but why would you want to DO that? Why not get a car that will keep going reliably until the body isn’t worth repairing? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

This was one of my former boss' classic cars, a 1947 Chrysler (Imperial, if I remember correctly).  It had a push button automatic transmission, so no selector to move.  I'm not into N. American cars, but it had a fantastic ride and was very quiet even at 50mph.

IMG_20140814_133120.jpg

• Like 12

In response to Rockershovel..

Well I've had, rebuilt, and worked extensively on, lots of old series Land Rovers, I love 'em....the one I have now is my only car..( the Morris I've also got is a non running project at the mo)

In my experience LRs are excellent vehicles simple to run and fix, and will go well even when very worn, hence their popularity in places like Africa, India etc.

Proper chassis and old school over engineered all round, parts easily available.....provided you've got the mindset and like a bit of 'mechanic-ing' you can keep one going indefinately, very few 'tin can' cars you can say that about!..;)

Edited by Porkscratching
  • Like 7

Regarding old Landrovers?

I have a good chum who runs a series 1[and a bit?].....seems eminently mendable,  and has improved out of all recognition now he has done a top end overhaul..[new lease of life, never has he known it run so well before]

Another chum has a series 3 LWB 24 volter as a work vehicle...4/5ths of his spare time spent repairing and mending...sometimes upgrading using modern technology [a Chinese wee camera mounted on rear roof, to aid coupling up to trailer?].......

The one thing I have noticed about LandRovers  and repairs is, the difference in quality/ability to break, between genuine Land Rover parts, and the cheaper pattern items so freely available. For example, he purchased sometime ago [eBay]an unused, professionally-rebuilt  series 3 gearbox, reputedly containing all the stronger series 2 parts.

He also paid someone to fit a diesel 200tdi engine...in place of the troublesome petrol.

The layshaft of the gearbox snapped a couple of months ago....I had to tow him home with my Daihatsu Fourtrak!  [Oh! The ignominy!]  On my [wider, more ample] driveway the beast stood...and I assisted [one way or the other, as did his old ginger cat!].....and drove him back & forth to Blanchards of Mkt.Weighton, down the road [in local terms]....

New layshaft sought.......pattern jobbie, nice 'n shiny, circa 60 quid...Land Rover genuine item,dull & greasy, near enough 200 notes!  His business was paying, so the Land Rover item was obtained.

Several Blanchard trips later, it was discovered that gear sizes were altered now and again...took a week or two to actually get reverse gear at all!

The point I'm making is, in this example...most of the issues [and there were many over the years] were created by somebody's use of cheaper pattern parts...fine for a vehicle that pops out now & again...no good for one that is used as the makers intended. 

Yup, Land Rovers can be fixed....but things tend to go wrong all too often.....so in my view, owning a land Rover is a bit like having an arthritic Labrador in the family.

Now I spent the last 20 years using the things here & there.....found them awkward to get in & out of....thought of buying myself an ex-milly, untarted swb Defender for a runabout [as a pensioner]....Fine, but the prospect of devoting so much time just keeping it going [when I ought to be fettling my other old vehicles?] put me off.....I do like them.......I admit, I have an affinity with them [not civvy versions though...not enough room for my large frame]......

The Daihatsu Fourtrak [equally scruffy....rusty bits replaced by Forth Bridge-style metal]....is a better bet , cheaper to run, than any Land Rover....Pity that too is poorly at the moment!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Its the old adage........if you want to drive into the “bush” use a Land Rover, if you want to drive back again use a Toyota.......:D

I wonder why?

664846919_IMG_61171.jpg.61b7e3ed1329546e1e86913e141ab02b.jpg

• Like 2