Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Bit of an update from today on the Marina. Now has 4 wheels with tyres that hold air so able to move it around after disabling the steering lock, by removing the lock barrel with a hammer and punch!

Once freed it rolls quite easily.

Now got a look at the nearside, oh dear:chok_mini:

Most of the front suspension area has disappeared, it's very flexible but still holding up and the sill has had it as well. 

But putting a large socket on the bottom pulley and a little bit of persuasion from a very long bar the engine turns so isn't seized solid and at least the forward gears can be found.

It's been vacuumed out inside and most of the floor is solid. 

Also found a newspaper dated 1996 so gives some idea when I last did anything with it.

First picture is looking up from under the front wing, there shouldn't be daylight:O

Second is a general view along the side, dent in the sill is from a Vauxhall cavalier who didn't see me. The other patch of filler is from avoiding a badly driven gas van, either head on or side into a fence!

The door does close properly by the way and the pile of wood is to take some of the weight off the very flexible suspension area.

IMG_20190411_144932118.jpg.5206cc056ea5dddf58e6a3574ad1cb82.jpg

IMG_20190411_144908371.jpg.306cf602460eb10a2285f3ea5e2387f0.jpg

Edited by great central
Added sentence
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

38 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

A bit of welding then !

Still a nice project especially as you've got personal history with it!

Rather a lot of personal history! Owned it since it was 18 months old:blink:.

And following on a theme from a little upthread, if you tip the front seat forwards and kneel on the floor facing the back seat...................:wub:

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

On 11/04/2019 at 09:00, boxbrownie said:

Rubbish!  

Too true. At 6ft an having owned a succession of Mini saloons since before my seventeenth birthday with all of them having visited more back lanes than your average council bin wagon, once you'd learnt "the technique" the sky was the limit for both involved. I think many a Mini owner could have enhanced the Kama Sutra immeasurably.  I did find it easier to step outside to re-attach ones undercrackers though.

Did I ever tell you about...

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

4 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

A big clue as to what Brooke Bond used after they stopped making Trojan vans too.

Brooke Bond made Trojans as well as blending tea???   :smile_mini2:

I just wish it had been a PJ tips delivery van. Then I could have used the strap line, "stop monkeying around".

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Nice collection there at Beamish - though the 1st pic is rather spoilt by the plastic bottle in his hand!

Stewart

I agree,  but beggars cannot be choosers.  It was a quick click with the camera as I had my six year old grandson with me and he wanted to see the trams and steam engines. :clapping:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I know I have posted here before about the amount of Renault 12's alive and kicking here in North Cyprus but thought this one deserved a picture in this hall of fame.  Check out the front tyres!   Knobbly or what?

Still in daily use and I have seen worse that are as well.

20190417_124244.jpg

20190417_124244c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, alastairq said:

Re- the Pontiacs?

I have to admit that, as a teenager, I had a liking for the Pontiac Firebird, '67-'68 vintage [first generation]....went off them [style-wise] after that era.

Ah the early Firebirds... this lovely example is for sale, although it's a '69 without the full width chrome treatment at the front or the opening quarterlights in the doors that the '67 / '68 cars had...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-Pontiac-Firebird-350-V8/173852662388?hash=item287a6d1a74:g:c9sAAOSworNcOHtG

Just found this photo of an early one, to me it oozes the essence the muscle car era and makes me think of the Mattel 'hot-wheels' racing track set I and some of my mate's had as a nipper, we'd often get all our sets together and fill my back garden with the orange track sections in loop the loop fashion...

2f9c82b59f1846a3f7603988ab36546d.jpg

MATTEL HW2.jpg

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Ah the early Firebirds... this lovely example is for sale, although it's a '69 without the full width chrome treatment at the front or the opening quarterlights in the doors that the '67 / '68 cars had...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-Pontiac-Firebird-350-V8/173852662388?hash=item287a6d1a74:g:c9sAAOSworNcOHtG

Just found this photo of an early one, to me it oozes the essence the muscle car era and makes me think of the Mattel 'hot-wheels' racing track set I and some of my mate's had as a nipper, we'd often get all our sets together and fill my back garden with the orange track sections in loop the loop fashion...

2f9c82b59f1846a3f7603988ab36546d.jpg

MATTEL HW2.jpg

was lucky enough to have a shared drive way between ours and my bestmates house where we would set up our respective hotwheels loop the loop tracks down its 1 in 4 slope cars would be positively flying towards the bottom  before thudding into the garage doors  ah happy days 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

We preferred scalextic, a few of us brought all the straight track we could muster between us to school, and made a huge long dragstrip, which we set up one lunchtime, I think we nicked a few cushions from somewhere to crash into at the finish line...

Many years ago I went to Rockwell Automation at Milton Keynes and found they had a MASSIVE Scalextric set-up wherein one lane was controlled by location sensors and a remote throttle. You needed to be a damned fine driver to beat the automation simply because it removed the human variability!

Two weeks ago, No1 grandson was in a team tasked with building a small rocket car as a design technology project. It worked and I saw the film of it smashing into straw in front of a brick wall.

• Like 5

On 11/04/2019 at 22:59, Porkscratching said:

A bit of welding then !

Still a nice project especially as you've got personal history with it!

My good wife once owned a Hillman Hunter of early-80s vintage which simply rotted away from within. The paint didn’t look too bad, but the structure of the body was utterly lost..

• Friendly/supportive 1

Rust can be insidious for sure, a mate bought a Humber that looked ok, until you really looked and started poking it a bit!

Some eras of car tend to rust worse than others tho..one theory was about dodgy quality steel in the 70s, some of which was I believe imported due to industrial action over here so the story goes...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

My good wife once owned a Hillman Hunter of early-80s vintage which simply rotted away from within. The paint didn’t look too bad, but the structure of the body was utterly lost..

Not so much 'crumple-zone' as 'crumble-zone'..

I remember my aunt hiring another Rootes Group product from what was, at the time (1986), the only car hirer in Llanelli- she clipped the front gate, and the whole front end fell apart.

• Friendly/supportive 1