The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

20 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

What's the white car? Thought it was a MKII Cortina at first, but it doesn't quite look right to me.

7 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Corsair???

Where's the pointy front?

7 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Vauxhall Viva HB ?

Where are the rectangular headlights?

The grille and headlights and bonnet shape and size are correct for a Mk.2 Cortina BUT I think it has had a lash-up repair to the indicators which look like small round units (bog standard Lucas items at a guess). However, there's one other thing bothering me: the bottom corners of the windscreen appear to be 'square' instead of rounded. There's definitely something off about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Opel Kadette?

Another with round corners to the lower windows and the orange indicators are positioned below the headlights, but above the bumper. The headlight surrounds are completely different, square sockets rather than the thin round chrome ring. 4-door version shown here.

1 minute ago, steve1 said:

The car in front of the disputed white one is a Hillmam Minx, not a Cortina, to my eyes.

steve

The grille is wrong, on the Minx (& Mk.1 Hunter) headlights go below the lowest part of the grille (copied perhaps by the Mk.1 VW Golf?). Indicators are below the bumper and again, round corners to the windscreen top and bottom.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Hujie said:

Mk2 Cortina with a Mk1 in front of it. Looks like a Zodiac poking out behind the VW van.

The dark green car is a Singer Gazelle, either s.V or VI (the spotting difference is the front grille which is invisible here). Agree on the Zodiac (Mk.III).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is what's so nice about this thread - you post an 'innocent' pic of times gone by and the knowledge amongst fellow posters comes gushing forth - it's all rather jolly and splendid isn't it...? ;)

Have another - ''somewhere just outside London, 9th April 1969''....

LONDON 090469 CONCORDE.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coppercap said:

What's the white car? Thought it was a MKII Cortina at first, but it doesn't quite look right to me.

Not quite a Renault (12?) but one of those Romainian clones thereof, (I can't remember the name at the moment).

Edited by PhilJ W

9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not quite a Renault (12?) but one of those Romainian clones thereof, (I can't remember the name at the moment).

What, in 1968? I doubt it. Were cars even made in Romania in 1968, let alone brought into the UK?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The pic of the John Woolfe Racing transporter is a bit sad. He came to a tragic end on the first lap of the 1969 Le Mans, when he lost his Porsche 917 and it broke in half on impact.  The car was known to be a complete pig to drive at that early stage of its development. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

This is what's so nice about this thread - you post an 'innocent' pic of times gone by and the knowledge amongst fellow posters comes gushing forth - it's all rather jolly and splendid isn't it...? ;)

Bit of a way from London.  It's the first flight of the British Concorde from Filton to Fairford (notice the Canberra chase plane) landing at Fairford.

http://www.concordesst.com/002.html

Edited by Metr0Land
Add link
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The Renault 12 was unveiled at the Paris Motor Show in 1969 and had rectangular headlights (the Dacia version later had twin round headlights).

1 hour ago, russ p said:

It's not a Ford Taunus is it?

Correct, its not a Ford Taunus (P6, P7 or P12).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Of course nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. I lived in Bath when Concorde (often under Brian Trubshaw) flew into Fairford or Filton, going over our place. When we moved to Burghfield Common, Berks, we regularly saw it as it gently climbed out of LHR on scheduled flights to JFK.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Coppercap said:

It looks like a Ford, the square number plate on the front would suggest it is not one build for the UK market. So maybe either a British or German built Ford that required minor changes for a particular export market.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Are you sure?  That looks like it would have been Filton in the first flight, shadowed by the jet fighter for observation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Of course nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. I lived in Bath when Concorde (often under Brian Trubshaw) flew into Fairford or Filton, going over our place. When we moved to Burghfield Common, Berks, we regularly saw it as it gently climbed out of LHR on scheduled flights to JFK.

Gently climbed but sounded like a double cut bastard file drawn over a cats tongue! :lol:

• Funny 4