The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, jcredfer said:

The BOAC 1000[??] at Brands Hatch was a wonder to watch, Lola 7 Ltr, v Bread Van.  The Lola lagging through the whole circuit until the Stand straight, at which point, credit goes to the Lola driver for keeping it in a sufficiently straight line to pass the Bread Van...   only to be overtaken on the first corner afterwards.

Was this the 1967 BOAC 500? The year the Chaparral won? The three Lolas in the race actually had 5.3 (1) or 5.4 (the other two) litre engines, while the Lotus 47 had a 1594 twincam. I only attended in 1970 and 1971. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Was this the 1967 BOAC 500? The year the Chaparral won? The three Lolas in the race actually had 5.3 (1) or 5.4 (the other two) litre engines, while the Lotus 47 had a 1594 twincam. I only attended in 1970 and 1971. 

We did a 24 hours race at Silverstone back in the 70’s....that was an experience as it had everything running in it from Lolas to our little Riley Elf special saloon (Longman inclined valve split Weber head Cooper S engine...) when one of those tears past you on the straight (probably doing twice your speed) it makes you wake up......just as well actually.....we were knackered. :lol:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm not certain of the year, but it was around that time.  I seem to remember that the winner was the Gulf GT40, so that would put it 68 and 5Ltr Lolas.  Horrid hump-back critters, but quite something in a straight line.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

That’s a 914-6 GT.........get it right boy, get it right...;)

And it’s even got the shite US crash bumpers fitted so those local farm boys don’t chip the paint don’ya’no.....not that’d it’d help....they were fibreglass specials for racing :lol:

Like I said, the below waistline styling...

The early 911 got it right, but eventually the regulators and designers got together to spoil it! ;)

Po2952-1.jpg.bcbb06474929c34dca712d1b79b6c2b8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The early 911 got it right, but eventually the regulators and designers got together to spoil it! ;)

Is that Saga’s one from The Bridge? Right colour.

steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Personally I think that Porsche got it right on the 356, it was downhill after that.

Mike.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Personally I think that Porsche got it right on the 356, it was downhill after that.

Mike.

Likewise, but I didn't want to go too far back in history, besides, the valances on the 356 are well hidden by bumpers, the 911 uses them as a part of a flowing body design, which is what I have been trying to get across about the 914, no flow, even the "pure original" seems to have bits of polished metal stuck on below the bumper line. The rectangular tail lights jar with the otherwise nice lines. On the plus side, the sidelight / wing treatment on the 914 is really neat, the wheel arches are very Porsche and I think a number of manufacturers had a sneaky look at that roofline, that really stands out.

I like your 356 idea and raise you the 550....:D

Porsche, to their credit, don't do straight lines, unless the vehicle has tracks.... Maus???

Speaking of their history of designing ridiculous tanks, I can't look at a Cayenne....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Likewise, but I didn't want to go too far back in history, besides, the valances on the 356 are well hidden by bumpers, the 911 uses them as a part of a flowing body design, which is what I have been trying to get across about the 914, no flow, even the "pure original" seems to have bits of polished metal stuck on below the bumper line. The rectangular tail lights jar with the otherwise nice lines. On the plus side, the sidelight / wing treatment on the 914 is really neat, the wheel arches are very Porsche and I think a number of manufacturers had a sneaky look at that roofline, that really stands out.

Porsche, to their credit, don't do straight lines, unless the vehicle has tracks.... Maus???

Speaking of their history of designing ridiculous tanks, I can't look at a Cayenne....

I think the Cayenne is hideous.

• Agree 6

Quite a few people reckon the Cayenne to be hideous. I can't see it myself. It doesn't do anything for me, but that's because it's just bland, like the majority of contemporary cars/SUVs. I find it hard to think of any modern car as pretty or ugly, in much the same way as I don't find white goods pretty or ugly. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, PatB said:

Quite a few people reckon the Cayenne to be hideous. I can't see it myself. It doesn't do anything for me, but that's because it's just bland, like the majority of contemporary cars/SUVs. I find it hard to think of any modern car as pretty or ugly, in much the same way as I don't find white goods pretty or ugly. 

The best looking "SUV" was released to market in 1970 and finished sales in early to mid 90s

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

At least with that one the Utility Vehicle part of the name is right. 

Optional cream leather isn't much good on the farm. ;)

Errrr what’s wrong with cream leather (well OK tan leather) on the farm?

AAF4E526-9A57-4DB1-AB36-530D5086D9F9.jpeg.813b93d0829ce798d79beba952be3940.jpeg

:lol:

Mind you it doesn’t take to being power washed out like the L200’s do.......

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'll see your Maus and raise you an Elefant.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Best looking SUV is hardly something to be proud of. Can’t say any appeal to me, and while I can see uses those don’t apply to me.

All the best

Katy

Four kids, two dogs and living on a Farm they might have more appeal? :lol:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Hardly a “Sports” utility vehicle though..........:D

Don't know about that, they've been quite handy for hunting over the years, in the days before we realised it was a bad Idea, we used them for hunting big game, now they're more useful for hunting poachers.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

33 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Four kids, two dogs and living on a Farm they might have more appeal? :lol:

That sounds like the current situation of all those people that I knew at university who were going to save the rainforests, ban the bomb an overthrow our capitalist system....:D

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Don't know about that, they've been quite handy for hunting over the years, in the days before we realised it was a bad Idea, we used them for hunting big game, now they're more useful for hunting poachers.

I think the SUV acronym is more to do with what “they” can do rather than what the people in them do....;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3