The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

46 minutes ago, alastairq said:

That's a pointy beak sparra round here.....[they're all sparras round here..big black sparras, pointy beak sparras, white sparras, multicoloured sparras with red fronts, speckly sparras....and bloody gert sparras with huge claws....]

Also a type of sparra with webbed feet?

The last one  sounds like the caspian sea monster to me!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

That's a pointy beak sparra round here.....[they're all sparras round here..big black sparras, pointy beak sparras, white sparras, multicoloured sparras with red fronts, speckly sparras....and bloody gert sparras with huge claws....]

Also a type of sparra with webbed feet?

You should see the size of the white Sparras around here that Nick the holiday makers chips :lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Now where else to post this really, but thought you lot might appreciate it......just been searching for some battery powered LED strip lighting and came across this on Amazon, interesting colour range in the specs :o

“Specifications:

Power: 1W

LED Qty: 20 LED (It consists of 10LED warm white lights and 10LED pure white)

Size 7.48*1.26*0.59 inch

Material: Aluminum + ABS

LED life: >50,000 hours

Remote distance: around 15 ft

Luminous Flux: 80lm

Color: Pure shite, Warm white Double color temperature

Battery Type : AAA Batteries (Not Included)”

I knew you’d all like that one....

• Funny 8

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

But isn't that a Singer?

Yes it is, an early version of the SM1500 with the small grille and headlamps mounted inboard. Looks like a contemporary Opel or Borgward from some angles. The Hunter that replaced it looked less modern with its upright grille. 

They were fitted with a horse's head mascot which was highly prized / regularly stolen...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, steve1 said:

An uncle of mine had a Singer 1500 in the 1950s. His replacement car was a Jaguar Mk 9, reg no FCK 90.

steve

I have to admit that I have never seen one in the flesh. I've ended up with odd spare parts for them over the years, but I suspect that Australia and New Zealand would be the place to find one now.

I also wish I could buy this again for £350.

Im20110901DSF-cc056(0).jpg.e583e245dba836f2b914dc319164fcaa.jpg

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, steve1 said:

An uncle of mine had a Singer 1500 in the 1950s. His replacement car was a Jaguar Mk 9, reg no FCK 90.

steve

That would only register with me if I happened to be playing number plate scrabble.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have to admit that I have never seen one in the flesh. I've ended up with odd spare parts for them over the years, but I suspect that Australia and New Zealand would be the place to find one now.

I have seen Jag Mk9s but not on the road. There used to be a couple that were raced in a Classic Car series. With their soft suspension and huge bodywork, they made quite an impression on the bends at Brands Hatch.

Big saloons don't do much for me.

£350 is what my Alfetta GTV went for. Shockingly rusty up top but actually very solid underneath where it matters. There is a beautiful LHD one for sale at the moment for £13k! I am tempted. (London LHD Centre).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it would where I am going to be living. My Vauxhall is on the other hand not.

McDo not a big priority for me. When lockdown ends, I will be going for proper meals out or using the enormous bbq in my back garden which only came to light when a local landscape came in with his heavyweight kit a few days ago.

I certainly would not go for a takeaway in the Alfetta anyway. That velvety upholstery would hold onto the smell!

IMG_20210413_161917.jpg

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My dream car after a Wolseley 16/60!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

McDo not a big priority for me. When lockdown ends,

Maccydees drive thru is an excellent source of really good coffee, covid-free [pretty much]...

Far superior to the gucci smartarris Starbucks or costa , where all the 'nice' people like to be seen?

At less than a quid a go, 2 to 3 times  better in  value too.

As for those that pass off Nescafé as posh coffee???

This has been a staple for myself & son [bubble-son!] for  the duration of lockdown....nice coffee or hot choccy, drive to a nearby field gatehole, and enjoy the view/sunset/ rolling sheets of rain.

I have to admit, lockdown has been a blessing to me, I've positively enjoyed it! No huge masses of unwashed everywhere, etc etc... Plenty of opportunity to conduct essential journeys in one of the old motors too...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Yes it is, an early version of the SM1500 with the small grille and headlamps mounted inboard. Looks like a contemporary Opel or Borgward from some angles. The Hunter that replaced it looked less modern with its upright grille. 

They were fitted with a horse's head mascot which was highly prized / regularly stolen...

The later ones had chrome flashes on front wings and doors with 'Singer' above, didnt make that many, about 9000 i think. When you consider the Jowett Javelin from 1948 to 53 they made 25,000 of which several hundred still survive.

In 1955 Singer bought out the Hunter S, an economy version with painted grille, no mascot, fog lamps, chrome strip or arm rest, never seen that variant. I think the bonnet was grp.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I drove one of those in my yoof. You had to be careful of the handbrake getting in and out, it was positioned just in the right place to catch the shins of the unwary.

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have seen Jag Mk9s but not on the road. There used to be a couple that were raced in a Classic Car series. With their soft suspension and huge bodywork, they made quite an impression on the bends at Brands Hatch.

Big saloons don't do much for me.

£350 is what my Alfetta GTV went for. Shockingly rusty up top but actually very solid underneath where it matters. There is a beautiful LHD one for sale at the moment for £13k! I am tempted. (London LHD Centre).

I've worked on MKIXs, more rust than Brighton pier, the shimmed steering swivels are fun too.

It was the Singer I was talking about. I did once find a Singer Nine with a Swallow saloon body, a four wheeled BSA Scout an oval window VW Beetle and a Triumph Renown all at the same location, covered up with tarpaulin. Even in 1985 they were falling apart. The owner was adamant that he was "going to do them up one day". 

As always happens in such cases, I went past one day and there was an estate agents sign outside, the house was empty, the scrub had been burnt and the scrap man had taken the lot.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The owner was adamant that he was "going to do them up one day". 

As always happens in such cases, I went past one day and there was an estate agents sign outside, the house was empty, the scrub had been burnt and the scrap man had taken the lot.

This should be a salutory lesson to us all, but of course those most in need of the lesson will be the ones who don't act.  Executors are usually in a hurry (not out of greed, just that selling a house takes time so you want to get on with it); anything you can do to give them a headstart is helpful.

People sometimes keep old cars thinking their children want to inherit them, except that when the day comes, the children, who now live 200 miles away, don't have space on the driveway for another car, especially one that will hardly get used and they aren't attached to in the same way as their parents.  Or they keep cars thinking they'll "get them sorted next year", except that after 20 Next Years, there is little of the car worth saving (I have some experience of this).  This is when the rare car gets crushed, complete with all the rare spares it contained; rare cars can have a limited market and it can take six months to find someone seriously interested.

The same debate has happened elsewhere on RMWeb, obviously in relation to model railways.  It helps so much if the next generation actually discuss with their parents what they will/won't want or be able to take on.  Not too many people know when they are going to pop their clogs, but a set of instructions (not just a will) for collections, agreed with members of the family, helps a lot.  If it says, "Offer the car to this dealer first, or if they're not in business any more, advertise it here" etc.  That way the family are much less likely to get scammed by some shifty bloke who offers them £1000 for that cosmetically tatty but running Mk2 Jag. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I drove one of those in my yoof. You had to be careful of the handbrake getting in and out, it was positioned just in the right place to catch the shins of the unwary.

In the days of my yoof, I had variously Hillman Minxes, Singer Gazelle and Sunbeam Rapiers all with surreptitiously placed handbrakes, which, when combined with Loon pants or voluminous flares with turn ups, more than once, made my attempted elegant exit to impress a bird or two a bit of a disaster, plummeting horizontally onto the pavement didn't seem to go down too coolly!

Mike.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Swap Minx for E series Velox, swap flares for laces on old para boots. Same result, a bit of face surfing.

Luckily no girls watching but I'm sure that my dog did the Muttley snigger.

When I had the GTE, I had a different problem, the seat belts. I was designated driver one night whilst my other half and her friends got ratarsed. Drunk friend attempted to climb out of the back seat, got feet tangled up in seat belt and fell out of the car. She just managed to grab hold of the door top before kissing tarmac. It's not an easy position to maintain sober even.

I was left with the task of lifting her out of the car whilst maintaining dignity etc. I think we got away with it. :blink:

• Funny 6