Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I also ground my teeth when some soppy civil servant accepted that Britain would quote new car mpg at 56 mph,

Most [un] civil servants are far from soppy!  A hefty number of civil servants don't even have a desk!  

Not just this phantom 56 mph fuel consumption boswellox, but LGV speed limiters were set at 56 mph as well.

A product of the UK becoming europeanised.

Like the driving licences?

I do wonder at the professional elitism in the  GB haulage industry, where drivers are advertised as requiring ''class 1'' licences?

There is no such thing, and hasn't been since the UK eventually tried to join in with europe.

Quite why someone who can lawfully drive an articulated lorry should consider themselves to be 'superior' to any other licence holder is beyond me.

Or that the relevant industry should think so, either!

When anyone who can really manage to manoeuver any sort of large goods vehicle will know, maneuvering a  vehicle and drawbar trailer is far more difficult.

Especially a drawbar trailer with a turntable front axle!

At the time, Germany's haulage industry had more drawbar trailer outfits than artics.....Yet these were totally unaccounted for by the UK's existing licence categories.

Class 1?

Boswellox!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Sherry's car is unlikely to go to France again before mid-December at the earliest. On Halloween she is booked in for open heart surgery, repairing a leaky valve. As this involves breaking the breast-bone to get on-site, recovery is not quick. At least I am now insured to drive it - not all insurers like a French licence. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I also ground my teeth when some soppy civil servant accepted that Britain would quote new car mpg at 56 mph, a speed that no-one ever drives at. But it is 90 kph in mph, so that was that. How much would it have cost manufacturers to do an additional  50 or 60 mph quote? Britain stuck out for miles not km on roads, why not be just as bullish w mpg figures?

It would have cost manufacturers a lot of money to do completely separate consumption/emission test for another (it would have been two speeds, the urban would remain the same) speed/s. After all the test were designed purely as a comparison between vehicles in very particular circumstances so the public could understand the consumption difference between vehicles, it wasn’t designed to provide a figure of exactly what a vehicle would deliver in normal driving.  It was just a baseline.

It was far wiser to stick to a standard test for the whole of Europe, unless of course your saying now we are out of the EU the U.K. should change its test procedure?

Just the same as we test at the standard international speeds and variations of impact crash tests for each and every vehicle.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

For old cars (the thread subject!) the new stickers are more appropriate than the "blue" ones, just the lettering that's different... Looking back at that photo that caused the discussion, had those vehicles travelled abroad when new they'd have had a white sticker very similar to those on them, that's the first thing that struck me when i looked at the photo... Took me back to '82 when we had one on the back of a Talbot Horizon that we drove across Europe.

If they were (GB)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sherry's car is unlikely to go to France again before mid-December at the earliest. On Halloween she is booked in for open heart surgery, repairing a leaky valve. As this involves breaking the breast-bone to get on-site, recovery is not quick. At least I am now insured to drive it - not all insurers like a French licence. 

I am sure we all feel we know Sherry as you mention her often, please pass on my (and I am sure) everyone here the very best wishes for a complete success and fast recovery in her upcoming operation, it can be a very scary time.

But like my surgeon said, it’s just like driving a bus on the same route every day, a piece of cake. 😁

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Most [un] civil servants are far from soppy!  A hefty number of civil servants don't even have a desk!  

Not just this phantom 56 mph fuel consumption boswellox, but LGV speed limiters were set at 56 mph as well.

A product of the UK becoming europeanised.

Like the driving licences?

I do wonder at the professional elitism in the  GB haulage industry, where drivers are advertised as requiring ''class 1'' licences?

There is no such thing, and hasn't been since the UK eventually tried to join in with europe.

Quite why someone who can lawfully drive an articulated lorry should consider themselves to be 'superior' to any other licence holder is beyond me.

Or that the relevant industry should think so, either!

When anyone who can really manage to manoeuver any sort of large goods vehicle will know, maneuvering a  vehicle and drawbar trailer is far more difficult.

Especially a drawbar trailer with a turntable front axle!

At the time, Germany's haulage industry had more drawbar trailer outfits than artics.....Yet these were totally unaccounted for by the UK's existing licence categories.

Class 1?

Boswellox!

I'd think the Speed Limiters would have been the primary reason. Many UK trucks operate in mainland Europe and vice versa so it makes sense to use a common speed.

Commonality would have been necessary whether we were in or out of the EU and even had the EU not existed!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'd think the Speed Limiters would have been the primary reason. Many UK trucks operate in mainland Europe and vice versa so it makes sense to use a common speed.

Commonality would have been necessary whether we were in or out of the EU and even had the EU not existed!

I seem to remember Government Ministers claiming them as a solution after the Sowerby Bridge accident.  As this resulted from a cement lorry running away with almost no brake linings, were they hoping the accident would have been less serious if it had only ploughed into a busy shop at less than 56mph (which actually, it did)?  As is so often the way, new legislation was introduced when the problem was that legislation already existed, it just wasn't being applied or enforced.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I seem to remember Government Ministers claiming them as a solution after the Sowerby Bridge accident.  As this resulted from a cement lorry running away with almost no brake linings, were they hoping the accident would have been less serious if it had only ploughed into a busy shop at less than 56mph (which actually, it did)?  As is so often the way, new legislation was introduced when the problem was that legislation already existed, it just wasn't being applied or enforced.

I think...the main item taken away from the Sowerby Bridge incident was the tightening up of written proof of servicing.

Whereby a VOSA [now DVSA} examiner could enter  a licenced [by Area Traffic Commissioners] transport premises and demand to see sight of the past servicing record of such & such a vehicle.

Including, defect cards [reports by drivers, even if, nothing to report]....which, if a report was evident, then a follow-up by the maintainer/ fitter should also be evident [on the card]...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Speed limiters pre-dated the Sowerby Bridge tragedy by a number of years, the first steps towards introduction came in 1989, the mandatory introduction came from 1992, a year before Sowerby Bridge.

Sowerby Bridge did highlight the need for greater attention to in-service brake testing and recording of defect reporting and rectification, which went without adequate enforcement and resulted in a further loss of life in very similar circumstances in Bath in 2015.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Would have been nice to have a vote/online petition asking us…..I bet most would have voted GB.

Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying:

Give I toss couldn’t a

steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying:

Give I toss couldn’t a

steve

You should have, as a country it would have saved (how many tens of thousands or more!) money to just leave as it was.  Complete waste of tax payers money, like most things politicians do 😁

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

44 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

You should have, as a country it would have saved (how many tens of thousands or more!) money to just leave as it was.  Complete waste of tax payers money, like most things politicians do 😁

My point is, that whether a sticker says GB or UK is trivial in the overall scheme of things, ie the fiasco of Brexit and its outcome.

steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

17 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Speed limiters pre-dated the Sowerby Bridge tragedy by a number of years, the first steps towards introduction came in 1989, the mandatory introduction came from 1992, a year before Sowerby Bridge.

Sowerby Bridge did highlight the need for greater attention to in-service brake testing and recording of defect reporting and rectification, which went without adequate enforcement and resulted in a further loss of life in very similar circumstances in Bath in 2015.

And what came out of it was the need for a propper signed inspection agreement for any vehicle on your operating licence and the ability to fund this for 12 months .anything over 3.5t has to be inspected every 6 weeks at an independant garage contracted for this purpose .inspection period can be shorter or longer dependant on amount of milage vehicle is expected to do higher more intence use shorter periods. Iirc wasnt the owner operator at sowerby doing his own maintainance and scrimping on that .

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, steve1 said:

My point is, that whether a sticker says GB or UK is trivial in the overall scheme of things, ie the fiasco of Brexit and its outcome.

steve

Aha the “B” word again…..I’m outa here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 30/09/2022 at 18:51, Dunsignalling said:

56 mph/90 kph was chosen because it's the speed at which the vast majority of cars achieve their highest mpg, so it may well have been pushed for by the manufacturers, 

Suspect it is 90kmh matching a common continental speed limit, and then cars being tweaked to give their best consumption at that speed

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Use what's available, 2 doors are rare and 1750s collectors items... Dad used to have a 1.3HL in that colour, that and the dark blue suited the Mk3s.

Edited by Hobby
spelling
  • Like 2