RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On my way home today from the Remembrance Day ceremony in Vancouver I saw my dream car, a Rover 2000... my dad had one when I was a kid, of which I have fond memories. Excuse the quality, I had only an instant to snap the pic, but I was happy to see they're still running around here.

20221111_115018.jpg.2a4fe67b7b75196be2dd3943c60fbe2c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

A quickie from the NEC show today - a '73 Piper GT with just 17 miles on the clock since new, the owner Mark only bought it two months ago and hasn't even driven it yet...

IMG_5387.JPG.f68d8fbd62fb1b18d86df0a5b13758cf.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG.a5c94d24798d59e46d8e205b5141b78c.JPG

I managed to get into it, get comfortable and get out again without losing any dignity!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Dorsetmike said:

A few really old cars at shows  between i'95-'06, the pale green Classic was mine, I'd have loved to try that V8 though

aus7club3.jpg

beemer.jpg

pow99a.jpg

35fv8.jpg

What is the low-slung black-over-cream roadster?

The wheels, A35 sidelights and flat glass suggest a kit-build albeit a rather up-market one.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

A quickie from the NEC show today - a '73 Piper GT with just 17 miles on the clock since new, the owner Mark only bought it two months ago and hasn't even driven it yet...

IMG_5387.JPG.f68d8fbd62fb1b18d86df0a5b13758cf.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG.a5c94d24798d59e46d8e205b5141b78c.JPG

I managed to get into it, get comfortable and get out again without losing any dignity!

Must be an interesting story.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Must be an interesting story.

It is - it sat unloved and unused somewhere for several years, during which time the engine was removed, roll on a few decades and another (better) engine was found and installed, the chassis was given the once over and it's now almost ready to be driven. Pipers are definitely overlooked compared to a lot of other cars of the period.

• Informative/Useful 4

Love the blue Riley.  Our Biology teacher had one way back and would offer, very fortunate, boys a lift back from the playing fields, a mile away.  He was a great teacher, but was most frequently imitated for his saying "You don't have to slam the doors on a Riley.", with a very well spoken accent, should one of his passengers dare to do so.   😀

Julian

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, peanuts said:

this popped up in my facebook feed today 

Before the line closed between sudbury and Bury St Edmunds a group of BR workers drove the route in a modified car.

315359520_190825270099220_1525986033299659822_n.jpg

Why?

Is the obvious question, it’s just a short branch, I just wonder what the reason unless it was just for fun 😄

• Agree 2

I collected my new pride and joy this weekend, a 1983 Mercedes 230CE coupé

car1.JPG.b8ddfafed549ffbc000e8d9f5b04f001.JPG

The previous owner of over 10 years had been doing a rolling rebuild and had spent an absolute fortune on welding, new panels, engine, suspension and an all glass out respray, but unfortunately was very ill with cancer and passed away last year. The interior was the last thing on his to-do list and is a bit tatty and tired in places. His brother was very keen that the car went to someone who would finish the job and take it to the next level, I have hankered after one of these for years and she was definitely priced to sell, so now got a little project for the winter. :^)

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, peanuts said:

this popped up in my facebook feed today 

Before the line closed between sudbury and Bury St Edmunds a group of BR workers drove the route in a modified car.

315359520_190825270099220_1525986033299659822_n.jpg

Did they have any fillings left at the end of their journey?

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

I collected my new pride and joy this weekend, a 1983 Mercedes 230CE coupé

If it's built anything like my dad's 1983 300TD estate was, it'll last you forever. He bought it used in 1990, abused the hell out of it, was still going when he got rid of it 20+ years later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

As far as I remember it was something to do with gaining the most MPG (possibly connected with Shell petrol).

Now that is interesting, never heard of that although plenty before my involvement, I worked on our teams Shell Mileage Marathon vehicle but that was a unique built vehicle and engine, I’d have preferred whizzing around on rails 😁

That explains in the first picture it looks like there is a special “fuel tank” in the rear seat place to accurately measure fuel, but not that while doing it the driver is smoking his pipe 🤣

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2022 at 12:41, jcredfer said:

Love the blue Riley.  Our Biology teacher had one way back and would offer, very fortunate, boys a lift back from the playing fields, a mile away.  He was a great teacher, but was most frequently imitated for his saying "You don't have to slam the doors on a Riley.", with a very well spoken accent, should one of his passengers dare to do so.   😀

I passed one on the M4 on Sunday, being driven by a guy who looked under 30.  I was impressed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 13/11/2022 at 13:57, BernardTPM said:

As far as I remember it was something to do with gaining the most MPG (possibly connected with Shell petrol).

Added -  Another picture here, which confirms it was related to Shell.

Wasn't the longest-running and best-known exercise of that kind, albeit on tarmac, not rails, the Mobil Economy Run?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Wasn't the longest-running and best-known exercise of that kind, albeit on tarmac, not rails, the Mobil Economy Run?

John

Not sure, our involvement was in the Shell Mileage Marathon which was a track based competition which started within motor manufacturers and universities and progressed latterly with major input from schools and colleges.

I know it was Shell I still have the sticker on my rusty old toolbox 😔

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Not sure, our involvement was in the Shell Mileage Marathon which was a track based competition which started within motor manufacturers and universities and progressed latterly with major input from schools and colleges.

I know it was Shell I still have the sticker on my rusty old toolbox 😔

The Mobil event was held on public roads and was a large-scale version of what used to be referred to in my local motor club as a "regularity trial" but with the emphasis on economy. I think it may have ended before, or shortly after, I became old enough to drive.

Anybody else remember it or maybe took part?

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wore seat belts from the first day after passing my test (with derision from some mates), the reason being we had a Mini racing special saloon and I saw too many accidents on the track which looked horrific but where the driver got out and walked away, nothing proves a point more, then again back then fireproof overalls were nothing more than a thick woollen  jumper and jeans! 😁

Actually 40 years it seems longer ago than that now.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Driving vehicles with a certain amount of - err - brio, quickly made seat belts an attractive option, not to avoid injury, but to help maintain the driver's comfort and posture when making the most of the vehicle's performance, especially on twisty bits. So right from passing my test 50 years ago, I expected to wear a belt in either front seat. 

The last time I recall being in a car without being belted in was about 20 years ago, when I had paid for a passenger lap of the full Le Mans circuit on race-day, and the car that picked me up in the queue turned out to be a modern LHD Morgan, driven by a Dutchie who wasn't the owner, which lacked belts altogether. As we passed six other cars between the pits and the Dunlop chicane, I was not convinced we'd survive.... Late wife Deb was somewhat luckier, scoring an AC Aceca, which she adored, and which had full belts. 

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Amazing to think this was nearly forty years ago...

Love the plate on that first car... also, cars that look like cars.

Belts were already mandatory here when I was little, but I rarely wore them when riding around with my dad because after the Rover died he started driving his 1964 Benz around every day, that had no belts in it at all, got to where wearing belts felt weird... then got used to them, such that recently went in an old car without belts again, it felt a bit strange.

• Like 4