The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

What interests me on  Dave's photo one is the rear tyre compared to the front ones ,

it looks like one that would be called Town and Country in my apprenticeship years in the mid 60's ,

completely different to the ones on the machine in the fact page .

Something else that I've just spotted in the photo's of the linked page is the fact that the rear wheel

has a sprocket on either side and off different sizes , Make me wonder if  the rear wheel could be turned

and so give a different final drive ratio .

I should have read the article properly , explains the reason why the two .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
Addendum comment .
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Something else that I've just spotted in the photo's of the linked page is the fact that the rear wheel

has a sprocket on either side and off different sizes , Make me wonder if  the rear wheel could be turned

and so give a different final drive ratio .

I should have read the article properly , explains the reason why the two .

The early Morgans didn't have a gearbox. Just two chains and two dog clutches with different sized sprockets giving a high and low gear.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Further to the replies above I will go with this , a 1920 Morgan Grand Prix ,

https://www.hagerty.com/media/member-stories/this-1920-grand-prix-three-wheeler-is-as-morgan-as-it-gets/

What interests me on  Dave's photo one is the rear tyre compared to the front ones ,

it looks like one that would be called Town and Country in my apprenticeship years in the mid 60's ,

completely different to the ones on the machine in the fact page .

The tyre, I'd guess, has been fitted, to ensure good traction for rural motoring on 1920s roads, the season of the year, or both.

The fronts, by contrast, more closely resemble the "running tread" pattern generally found on the front of sporty motorcycles.  

That restored one is just gorgeous, isn't it....

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

The ''what we started with'' photo reminds me of an old chum, who built an F-type Morgan three wheeler....[I helped provide the rebuilt Ford sidevalve engine..in this case, an upgrade to a Ford 100E]..

All he started with was one chassis side member, and the gearbox....

The gearbox number being the 'identifier' for what we now know as the VIN?

The rest...other side member, cross frame [front], suspension, wheels...and eventually, some  body parts , came from trawling spares lists.

The front spindles he had turned by another chum with a shed at the bottom of his garden.....from old Austin half shafts, marked EN8, sourced from me...

There never was very much to any old Morgan....

{Even my '39 4/4 wasn't much more than some woodwork, channel steel chassis, etc....Worst bit being the engine...But it ran, drove, could do 70 mph, and currently looks immaculate...but not now owned by me.]

The Morgan propshaft, twixt engine and gearbox, was soldered together...

Those Vee-twin engines could be tuned to produce phenomenal power....

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The tyre, I'd guess, has been fitted, to ensure good traction for rural motoring on 1920s roads, the season of the year, or both.

I thought similar but couldn't be bothered to type it all out .     😎

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, alastairq said:

The ''what we started with'' photo reminds me of an old chum, who built an F-type Morgan three wheeler....[I helped provide the rebuilt Ford sidevalve engine..in this case, an upgrade to a Ford 100E]..

All he started with was one chassis side member, and the gearbox....

The gearbox number being the 'identifier' for what we now know as the VIN?

The rest...other side member, cross frame [front], suspension, wheels...and eventually, some  body parts , came from trawling spares lists.

The front spindles he had turned by another chum with a shed at the bottom of his garden.....from old Austin half shafts, marked EN8, sourced from me...

There never was very much to any old Morgan....

{Even my '39 4/4 wasn't much more than some woodwork, channel steel chassis, etc....Worst bit being the engine...But it ran, drove, could do 70 mph, and currently looks immaculate...but not now owned by me.]

The Morgan propshaft, twixt engine and gearbox, was soldered together...

Those Vee-twin engines could be tuned to produce phenomenal power....

In the early Morgans the chassis side rails were circular in profile. This is because they doubled up as the exhaust pipes. My late fathers cousins were living in Wood Lane Dagenham about 100 years ago when the cottage they rented was compulsory purchased by the LCC. They were carrying out motor trading from the cottage without the relevant authorities being notified. They were offered another dwelling but that had no room for their stock. So they disposed of most of their stock and had only one car left, a Morgan dating from about 1914. That they buried in the back garden. It was disinterred in 1939/40 when the then current resident chose the same part of the garden for his Anderson shelter.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

This is interesting and could be important.

The government is asking motoring enthusiasts for help shaping future classic car policy and future-proofing the industry

DVLA call for evidence asks for ideas on how to preserve historic cars and skills

Current policy doesn't take into account modern upgrades and electric 'retrofits'

Call for evidence is open for eight weeks until 4 July 2024 - have your say 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-13403553/Government-classic-carevidence-call-asks-proposals-protecting-classic-cars-heritage-motoring-jobs.html

Government websites

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/call-for-evidence-launched-on-how-to-future-proof-classic-cars-and-back-drivers

https://www.gov.uk/government/calls-for-evidence/registering-historic-classic-rebuilt-vehicles-and-vehicles-converted-to-electric-call-for-evidence

Call for evidence response form, 29 pages !!

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/663b605b1c82a7597d4f32a1/call_for_evidence_-_registering_historic_classic_rebuilt_vehicles_-_response_form.pdf

Any comments ?

Brit15

• Informative/Useful 3

On 11/05/2024 at 16:00, APOLLO said:

This is interesting and could be important.

The government is asking motoring enthusiasts for help shaping future classic car policy and future-proofing the industry

DVLA call for evidence asks for ideas on how to preserve historic cars and skills

Current policy doesn't take into account modern upgrades and electric 'retrofits'

Call for evidence is open for eight weeks until 4 July 2024 - have your say 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-13403553/Government-classic-carevidence-call-asks-proposals-protecting-classic-cars-heritage-motoring-jobs.html

Government websites

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/call-for-evidence-launched-on-how-to-future-proof-classic-cars-and-back-drivers

https://www.gov.uk/government/calls-for-evidence/registering-historic-classic-rebuilt-vehicles-and-vehicles-converted-to-electric-call-for-evidence

Call for evidence response form, 29 pages !!

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/663b605b1c82a7597d4f32a1/call_for_evidence_-_registering_historic_classic_rebuilt_vehicles_-_response_form.pdf

Any comments ?

Brit15

Comment?  Well yes, not many years back, the Gov't asked if people would be willing to fund an additional 1 penny increase on National Insurance, if it was ring fenced for the NHS.  It was  a huge survey and a substantial majority said they would.  That was just before the additional damage, caused by a Covid epidemic.  Now they are asking about help to form ideas about the preservation of classic cars, how nice of them.....

Current situation?.....    A PM stating that the country will respond positively, to Tax cuts, {whilst ignoring the real concerns that people have, about the underfunding** of the NHS, Police, other Emergency services, Education, Transport infrascture, the list goes on.  All of which produce the structure / fitness for the country to operate at it's best.}

**Underfunding, still remaining despite, recent, inadequate, token gestures towards the NHS and roads.

It's not a party political comment, far from it, as for decades, successive Gov'ts have picked away at all the basic structures to pay for what they think will make them popular, elsewhere.  Given the continued changes from one party / coalition to another over the years, they all "appear" to be rather out of touch about what concerns those  who might be persuaded to vote for them.

**  Hours wait for an ambulance to arrive for life threatening conditions, even more hours in A&E with additional shortage of beds, appointments delayed for months, road conditions causing serious damage to tyres and suspension, shortage and early retirement of teaching staff from constant unreasonable demands (Been there, done that), insufficient numbers of police, to patrol the streets properly or respond to calls for help, rail transport?? - None of which indicates successive `gov'ts which have had the slightest care for the electorate.  I wonder what chances might be afforded those interested in classic cars.....

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

It's worth pointing out that there is a Classic Car "Club" within the Houses of Parliament (cross bench and cross Commons/Lords) which are probably driving this initiative. It's easy to criticise but it's worth noting that there are also lots of other similar "lesser" initiatives also going on, would you cancel all them as well and just stick to the "important" ones, but who defines that I wonder! That's not belittling any, simply pointing out that they will all be important to someone. Government isn't just about the big stuff.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

When you are lieing in a van with some one looking after you, waiting outside for someone to see what is wrong,  you are happy for a lot more taxes to go to them.

Anyone getting excited by NI cuts has it wrong.

After a couple of rides, and the later on pushed from place to place, and not knowing what to do.

Our health comes first.

Recent posts reminded me.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I never said otherwise... Perhaps you need to re-read my post...

But the NHS issues go well beyond simply money... Perhaps best discussed somewhere else?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I never said otherwise... Perhaps you need to re-read my post...

But the NHS issues go well beyond simply money... Perhaps best discussed somewhere else?

Not getting political,  but had bad memories.

• Like 1

The problem with the NHS is politics, take them out of it and it could be sorted. Anyhow I was simply pointing out that Government isn't just the big issues like tax or the NHS, it also covers lesser things such as this.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Hobby said:

The problem with the NHS is politics, take them out of it and it could be sorted. Anyhow I was simply pointing out that Government isn't just the big issues like tax or the NHS, it also covers lesser things such as this.

I know and i hope it goes down ok, unlike the green lane closure,  don't trust a lot of them to not make things worse.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Spotted in the car park outside ExpoEM in Bracknell yesterday, so may well be RMWebbers' cars.  Both in superb condition so sad to see the sideswipe scratches the Saab has acquired:

IMG_2547.JPG.4092c0cd5d130df32073f5362dbdc766.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG.5148f4e37c8fcafb387efa80cfe2b50f.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Spotted in the car park outside ExpoEM in Bracknell yesterday, so may well be RMWebbers' cars.  Both in superb condition so sad to see the sideswipe scratches the Saab has acquired:

IMG_2547.JPG.4092c0cd5d130df32073f5362dbdc766.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG.5148f4e37c8fcafb387efa80cfe2b50f.JPG

I think thats the reflection of the white lines. 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I think thats the reflection of the white lines. 

No, there's a nasty scratch behind the driver's door.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if some of it is a little earlier than 1963. Lots of buses - but no Routemasters, of which I think there were at least 1000 by then. The rows of Fords didn't include the Mk 3 Zephyr/Zodiac, on sale from 1962.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I wonder if some of it is a little earlier than 1963. Lots of buses - but no Routemasters, of which I think there were at least 1000 by then. The rows of Fords didn't include the Mk 3 Zephyr/Zodiac, on sale from 1962.  

It's at least 1960 as I spotted a Mini Van plus a Herald Coupe and Leyland FG truck, both of which were launched in 1959.  Lots of FX4s around which come out in 1958.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

It's at least 1960 as I spotted a Mini Van plus a Herald Coupe and Leyland FG truck, both of which were launched in 1959.  Lots of FX4s around which come out in 1958.

There's also a Renault Dauphine minicab, they only lasted from 1961 until 1962.

https://www.lancasterinsurance.co.uk/news/2019/april/24/do-you-remember-the-renault-dauphine-minicabs/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Renault Dauphine minicabs only lasted from late 1961 to mid 1962 so seeing as it is summertime when the film was made that puts it in 1962. 

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

'London' to signify that they started at Brooklands, as many of the vehicles would not have been ULEZ-compliant.

1924 Morris Bullnose Travellers Van HCVS Brighton 12 5 2024 x.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5