The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Nice colour that suits it, hopefully with that mileage pretty good underneath?

It's pretty good, just needs doors really.  Everyone loves the colour but I'm not that keen would have preferred red, also would have preferred a mk1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 30801 said:

Future old car owners will have super fun with wet belts. Especially Ford ones...

If the one on my 206 had let go, I'd have had no one to blame but myself for pushing the envelope, but it does show there's not a huge margin beyond the recommended intervals.

It seems unlikely that very many of the "Ecoboom" engines will last long enough for the cars containing them to get old..... 

A pal of mine recently shifted on his 15-plate Fiesta with 45k on the clock via an auction after paying for the other common big expense, a new gearbox (for which he had to wait several months), after the original jammed for the second time.

He now has an ex-demo Nissan Micra, which  feels and behaves like a real car. How do Ford keep getting away with it? 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Peugeots used to be really good, 405 was good, I did like the 504.

Mercs are not premium now, but overpriced tat.

By my favourite large saloons were GM when GM was still going, the V Cars, Senators, Carltons, Omegas, they were better than the so called premium brands.

I have had 5 of them.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

If the one on my 206 had let go, I'd have had no one to blame but myself for pushing the envelope, but it does show there's not a huge margin beyond the recommended intervals.

It seems unlikely that very many of the "Ecoboom" engines will last long enough for the cars containing them to get old..... 

A pal of mine recently shifted on his 15-plate Fiesta with 45k on the clock via an auction after paying for the other common big expense, a new gearbox (for which he had to wait several months), after the original jammed for the second time.

He now has an ex-demo Nissan Micra, which  feels and behaves like a real car. How do Ford keep getting away with it? 

There is a warning badge on it which says Ford. I do not trust Ford engines at all.

Enough that I would not buy any Land Rover product newer than 2007* due to engine problems.

* That is Defender, but a cheap blown engine newer Defender with a rusted out Discovery 2 as parts donor would be OK.

V6 Diesel - cranks

2.2 2.4 Diesel - not that long lasting and not very reliable

Ecoboom - engine a service item, an expensive service item

Essex V6 - generally unreliable

Cologne V6 - poor compared to competitors (see Vauxhall Opel 6s of V and straight)

Pinto - just not a good engine

year 2000 about 2.5 and 3.0 V6 petrols, wear out (boss had a X type).

The 2.2D was fine though

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MJI said:

Peugeots used to be really good, 405 was good, I did like the 504.

Mercs are not premium now, but overpriced tat.

By my favourite large saloons were GM when GM was still going, the V Cars, Senators, Carltons, Omegas, they were better than the so called premium brands.

I have had 5 of them.

Peugeots are still OK in my opinion, I didn't keep my 207sw (estate) long simply because the design of the rear seat so compromised the load area that I could get as much into my previous 206 hatchback. It also rode bloody hard unless there was a load in the back!

A serial Merc owner of my acquaintance doesn't rate any model introduced after 1995 and now has a Japanese or Korean "SUV" - can't remember what, I can only tell them apart by the badges!

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, MJI said:

There is a warning badge on it which says Ford. I do not trust Ford engines at all.

Enough that I would not buy any Land Rover product newer than 2007* due to engine problems.

* That is Defender, but a cheap blown engine newer Defender with a rusted out Discovery 2 as parts donor would be OK.

V6 Diesel - cranks

2.2 2.4 Diesel - not that long lasting and not very reliable

Ecoboom - engine a service item, an expensive service item

Essex V6 - generally unreliable

Cologne V6 - poor compared to competitors (see Vauxhall Opel 6s of V and straight)

Pinto - just not a good engine

year 2000 about 2.5 and 3.0 V6 petrols, wear out (boss had a X type).

The 2.2D was fine though

Another mate has a 2014 turbo diesel Focus, that's just fine. It has a Peugeot engine, the same 1560cc lump that was in my 207 but in a higher state of tune.

Joint project with BMW AIUI, 'cos you get them in Minis and 1-Series Beemers, too. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

Another mate has a 2014 turbo diesel Focus, that's just fine. It has a Peugeot engine... 

They do seem to be, unlike teh 1.0 and the V6s

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 30801 said:

Future old car owners will have super fun with wet belts. Especially Ford ones...

Not sure I would touch a Ford with a wet belt engine (and a wet belt would really put me off touching any other car).

Our current Focus is a 1.6 (from just before they switched to the Ecoboom engines - we test drove an Ecoboom at the time). It has now done about 160k. If it were an Ecoboom it would probably have required at least 1 engine replacement, and a good chance of 2.

As I understand it the latest versions of that engine have moved from a wet timing belt but still use a wet belt to drive the oil pump.

All the best

Katy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

As I understand it the latest versions of that engine have moved from a wet timing belt but still use a wet belt to drive the oil pump.

One of the YouTube broken EcoBoost videos I watched had one with all the teeth missing from the oil pump belt.

The remains of the teeth were stuck in the oil strainer...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Not sure I would touch a Ford with a wet belt engine (and a wet belt would really put me off touching any other car).

Our current Focus is a 1.6 (from just before they switched to the Ecoboom engines - we test drove an Ecoboom at the time). It has now done about 160k. If it were an Ecoboom it would probably have required at least 1 engine replacement, and a good chance of 2.

All the best

Katy

I gather they've gone over to a timing chain, but they are still prone to having debris from the remaining belt block or restrict the oil pick up.

That's what generally delivered the coup-de-grace when the belt didn't actually let go.

It presumably takes longer with only one belt losing bits, though.....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

I gather they've gone over to a timing chain, but they are still prone to having debris from the remaining belt block or restrict the oil pick up.

That's what generally delivered the coup-de-grace when the belt didn't actually let go.

It presumably takes longer with only one belt losing bits, though.....

Isnt there something going on at present about Ford UK wriggling out of replacing these engines whilst in the USA its all been approved.

• Agree 1

Just now, Captain Cuttle said:

Isnt there something going on at present about Ford UK wriggling out of replacing these engines whilst in the USA its all been approved.

Mind you, the Mini's seem to be a bundle of trouble for all sorts of reasons.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Mind you, the Mini's seem to be a bundle of trouble for all sorts of reasons.

AFAIK they have timing chains but there are plastic guides that break up and let them jump teeth. Engine-out job to change them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

From the York Press, some nostalgia.

Anyone remember Colt cars and is that a Talbot Solara? Wolseley Farina being fuelled.

steve

1106999A-5180-4E41-B9C3-572BA6BC0A84.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, steve1 said:

From the York Press, some nostalgia.

Anyone remember Colt cars and is that a Talbot Solara? Wolseley Farina being fuelled.

steve

1106999A-5180-4E41-B9C3-572BA6BC0A84.jpeg

Colt was the branding used in the UK for Mitsubishi until about 1984.

Further details;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Car_Company

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, 30801 said:

One of the YouTube broken EcoBoost videos I watched had one with all the teeth missing from the oil pump belt.

The remains of the teeth were stuck in the oil strainer...

Seems pretty much the usual failure mode. Although nothing like having the engine make doubly sure that the oil supply is disrupted by having 2 simultanious points of failure!

All the best

Katy

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Colt was the branding used in the UK for Mitsubishi until about 1984.

Further details;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Car_Company

Yes thats a Solara, we hired one in the eighties and quite comfortable from what i remember. Also at one time hired a yellow Horizon and noisy tappets comes to mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Seems pretty much the usual failure mode. Although nothing like having the engine make doubly sure that the oil supply is disrupted by having 2 simultanious points of failure!

I was considering Fords when car shopping but got somewhat put off after a bit of Googling of Ecoboosts...

My car now has a 1.4 Mutli-Air turbo which seems a decent balance of technological cleverness and robustness. It's just an old Fiat FIRE underneath.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

When I bought my current car last month (second hand) it came with a dealer warranty that specifically excluded Ford Ecoboost engines. Fortunately my car is a Nissan.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Yes thats a Solara, we hired one in the eighties and quite comfortable from what i remember. Also at one time hired a yellow Horizon and noisy tappets comes to mind.

I joined Peugeot UK in late 1984 when the Alpine/Solara and Horizon were in their final years of production. The engines did suffer from tappet noise. As a District sales  manager, one of my tasks was to wholesale Peugeot and Talbot product to the dealers each month. As I was responsible for London and the Thames valley, shifting Talbots and Peugeot diesels was a bit hard but I couldn't get enough 205 Gti's or 405 Family estates to satisfy demand.

The 309 used the same engines as the Horizon IIRC but Peugeot had modified them to make them quieter. Later the Peugeot TU engines were added to the lineup.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I joined Peugeot UK in late 1984 when the Alpine/Solara and Horizon were in their final years of production. The engines did suffer from tappet noise. As a District sales  manager, one of my tasks was to wholesale Peugeot and Talbot product to the dealers each month. As I was responsible for London and the Thames valley, shifting Talbots and Peugeot diesels was a bit hard but I couldn't get enough 205 Gti's or 405 Family estates to satisfy demand.

The 309 used the same engines as the Horizon IIRC but Peugeot had modified them to make them quieter. Later the Peugeot TU engines were added to the lineup.

I liked the Avengers and Sunbeams.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Talbot I recall from that era was the Tagora, a big rangy saloon with lovely styling. I think the few sold in UK disappeared without trace. 

Only two licenced in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

The sound rattles in my skull to this day...

Legal reason to assassinate people, calling a Sunbeam, a Horizon.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4