Mallard 75 - The Great Gathering

Andy Y

I attended yesterday, after the failed attempt to visit on Monday. I went in the simulator this time, it was actually quite fun. Much the same story as the two summer visits. Big crowds, but after about 4:30/5pm people started to go, leaving ample opportunity. I take a differing view on the crowds. Families with kids have just as much right to the locomotives as the rest of us. Just because you have a big camera does not mean you are above anyone else. Finally, to those who think it is acceptable to whistle at people to get them to move. They are not ****ing dogs, you either wait patiently like the rest of us or pay for the photography sessions, end of.

I think the NRM have really knocked it out of the park with this display, it will be a shame to see 4489 and 60008 depart for the (rightful) homes next year.

I had similar on Saturday some **%££75%%%% hole started moaning because I dared to check a picture on my camera before moving away from Mallard he got a suitable response. Sad there is always one who thinks he is above everyone else.

The shot that wasn't quite. 6pm Tuesday 29th, with Museum security about to pounce on me... photographing 'blind'  with time delay (camera high up on the Q1 smokebox footplate  - no way was I draging a tripod to York!). Of course the final 'perfect' shot had missed 1/3 of 60007's nose. So this picture uses part of a shot taken a few minutes earlier. Stitching the photos in a way that negated baral distortion, complete with complex Great Hall Roof trussing, was not fun!). Must dig out old version of photoshop... this was all done using photo tools on MS Word!!!

There are three people in shot, one unfortunatly standing in front of 60008's buffer, but with a long exposure, that merely adds atmosphere.

post-4226-0-50517200-1383154487_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the additional info.

Presumably if/when the GCR gets its mainline connection, roading the 4305 custody locos will also be restricted?

Regarding the 2010 tow prep, were the wheels dropped to check the axle bearings or were they in-situ? Any pictures of this 'mini-service' would be fascinating. It is nice to hear that Mallard has been given some mechanical attention since it stoped steaming.

Another question; During the 'Tales from the Footplate' Talk on 11 July, it was said that Mallards present boiler was the first available boiler at Doncaster during Mallars '63 strip down and was unoverhauled, possibly due to a tight timetable to get her to Clapham. In contrast, the rest of the loco was thoroughly overhauled. Mallards last boiler was 27965 (1960 build, ex-60009)

Can the NRM, or indeed anyone on here, give details of the present boiler. Even a decent picture of the backhead boiler plate would do. My own isn't high res enough and the number is invisible under the mix of camera flash and gloss paint!

Answering my own question, after looking in detail at Mallard's boiler plate yesterday, it is still fitted with Boiler no.27965. It would therefore appear that the boiler was removed, but possilby did not have the intended work carried out on it in 1963/4, and was then refitted to the locomotive.

Anyway, this means that it is a 1960 build boiler, that would have seen less than three years use on two locomotives.

Few further rare pics.

In July I managed to wack the Camera into 4489's firebox, revealing i) what looked like a new brick arch, certainly not one that has seen much heat (although I thought arches were cast concrete rather than actual blocks?). 60010 was withdrawn with firebox problems, so one assumes the loco went in for assessment, had its brick arch removed, and was condemned, with a new arch build during restoration at Crew?

ii) the items removed during her restoration. Let's hope they are kept safe when back in Canada, or even displayed with her double chimney. There appears to be the Smiths Speedo drive, AWS reciever, and the associated brackets off the front bogie and the cable supports.

post-4226-0-09396700-1383164035_thumb.jpg

and last Sunday a similar poke into 60008 to reveal the half middle big-end. No sign of the middle con rod or its brass anywhere... (and you can't accuse me of not having looked!). The brick arch seems 'well used'!

post-4226-0-02248000-1383164075_thumb.jpg

Finally the rear tube plate of 60008

post-4226-0-45329600-1383164115_thumb.jpg

EDITED it seems that "b)" is interpreted as an emoticon, thus limiting one's typographic options! Passage renumbered.

Whilst Mallard's boiler is relatively new, isn't there some issues with the condition of the throatplate? It seems like a long time ago now, but I seem to recall she was limited to 22 main line trips post restoration due to the condition of her boiler/throatplate. All the same, I'm sure any required repair would be pretty small beer to today's preservationist when we consider what has been achieved with other locos.

• RMweb Gold

Another good show. The queue when we arrived today was much less than in July, took about half an hour to get in which was ridiculous as it was not crowded inside at the time. The delay seems to be caused by holding people back until there is someone on the desk to talk to them and try to sell them something. When you've got two young children in tow it would discourage some families from visiting again. when you know you are going to get a crowd you need to man up for the occasion, not work the same system as when there is a trickle coming through.

I took my Dad and Son on Wednesday to see the A4's (for their benefit, not mine). There was a short queue to get in which only resulted in us buying a couple of books, I'm not saying it was extortion but I already had a shopping list of things to get so it's not like the NRM wouldn't be getting any revenue, and I'd actually agree with charging an entrance fee anyway instead of making people queue for the only till that was working. We had a quick look round the Station Hall and then into the main part of the museum (sorry, I can't remember the poncy name for 1970's walls and 1990 roof over the old roundhouse).

The A4's certainly were a spectacle, but I don't think looking at them head on really presents them at their best angle and it was difficult to find somewhere to stand to get all of them in one shot. A staggered line-up would have looked good but would have been obviously impossible in the museum. The crowds were quite big (York was rammed anyway) but pleasantly polite, I was glad to see the whole museum was busy instead of just the area around the A4's. My Dad managed to cab two of the locos (Mallard & Einsenhower), anyone thinking of doing the lot had better start early as the queues were slow to progress as the "Explainers" did their work, I was told they seemed informative but having manned cabs myself at open days, have found that people just want a token 30 second fester in the drivers seat before moving on to the next. We left at 17:45 as they were setting out for some arty stuff, there were still lots of people hanging around and I think security were about to dissapoint them.

Overall, a good day out and the four XC trains we used were all on time. The best bit was hearing a couple of Enthusiasts bicker over whether one of the LH Loveless A4's was in the correct livery (I think they were talking about a Purple Merlin), whilst my 4yr old was just enthralled by the models going by....

Just got back from my third visit to the Great Gathering......and it is still a fantastic day out........!!!!

Some queues...but only 10 mins then we were in.

Lots of visitors again which is heart warming to see.....I was told that they have been getting about 9000 people a day during this week...great numbers again.   What an outstanding success the bringing the A4's together has been.....someone really got it right big time....it has really touched the heart of folk.

There must have been something happening on the railways today though, as trains were running over an hour late going south to Derby area from York.???

If by some remote chance you havent been yet.......make the effort, its well worth it.

Bob.

Another good show. The queue when we arrived today was much less than in July, took about half an hour to get in which was ridiculous as it was not crowded inside at the time. The delay seems to be caused by holding people back until there is someone on the desk to talk to them and try to sell them something. When you've got two young children in tow it would discourage some families from visiting again. when you know you are going to get a crowd you need to man up for the occasion, not work the same system as when there is a trickle coming through.

The delay is counting numbers in (helps us with funding in the long run) and letting folks in gradually so as not to crowd the museum out and make the experience as good as it can be. Fire regs also come into play if the museum is too full too soon. We've been trying to walk the queues and explain as best as we can - including us back of house staff - it really has been all hands on deck this last week. Glad you came and enjoyed it, we have too!

Stitching the photos in a way that negated baral distortion, complete with complex Great Hall Roof trussing, was not fun!). Must dig out old version of photoshop... this was all done using photo tools on MS Word!!!

There are three people in shot, one unfortunatly standing in front of 60008's buffer, but with a long exposure, that merely adds atmosphere.

Off topic, but I can highly recommend Microsoft Image Composite Editor (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/).  It's free and does a fantastic job of stitching photos.   All you do is drop the photos on it and it handles alignment, distortion and colour balancing without you having to lift a finger.  I once did a panorama of 21 photos and in a few seconds it spat out a flawless result - no way that you could tell it was a bunch of photos from a cheap point-and-shoot and not some 50Mpixel super wide angle fancy camera.

As mentioned the light show is well worth a visit - ends tonight. When we went - quite late on Thursday no queues, not many people and only a couple of pains in the neck with huge tripods and back packs blocking access. And no hassle from staff expecting payment for a free museum. Mind, York was rammed all of Friday and a Saturday is likely to be worse. I believe Park and ride is working late. And the other light show events in York are also worth checking out - the projections onto Cliffords tower are spectacular. Paul

The delay is counting numbers in (helps us with funding in the long run) and letting folks in gradually so as not to crowd the museum out and make the experience as good as it can be. Fire regs also come into play if the museum is too full too soon. We've been trying to walk the queues and explain as best as we can - including us back of house staff - it really has been all hands on deck this last week. Glad you came and enjoyed it, we have too!

I think the staff are incredibly helpful and polite..........my congratulations yesterday would go to a guy who was "fronting" the restaurant area.  When I and my friends joined the short queue, he came over and explained what was on offer so we could be making up our minds in advance.  I must say the pork steak in the mushroom and dijon mustard sauce was delightful, I was so pleased to see it on the menu again.......thats what I had on my last visit.

As for the exterior queue.........there were staff running around offering people umbrellas while they queued in the short light rain we had....although, I noticed they rushed people inside very much quicker once it started to rain a bit.......very thoughtful, and someone clearly on the ball, and thinking of the customer.....well done again.

I just can't say enough for the way were were greeted and treated.

Bob

Probably another "me as well post" which I don't normally do, but I went today and glad I did, just for the atmosphere. Having seen the A4's in use when I was trainspotting, there was no cop for me, in fact I could almost just give them a passing glance, even though they remain one of my favourite locos. And as a modern day enthusiast, whose hair on his neck still stands up when I hear an A4 approaching on the main line, I had no need for record shots photo-wise. But I stll took 53 pics in the museum (not all were A4 though). Thank goodness for digital cameras! Plenty of people in the shots is a better record of the occasion I feel, and I bought an NRM postcard for the clear shot.

I arrived at 1045, was inside by 1110. Great stewarding, friendly, no-one complaining. Saw a couple of disabled people ushered straight to the front, and noted the coffee stall halfway along the queue. Excellent work. Inside it was busy, but not packed like Warley, as expected no chance of those record "clear" shots, but who cares. A magnificent sight, and knowing that it will never again happen, but I was there, gave a fantastic feeling. Didn't seem to be the usual anorak crowd either. Lots of families, foreign tourists, and the most important ones I think - "Grandad", sometimes in a wheelchair, coming to see the A4;s for a last look. Their faces said it all.

Thanks to the NRM and everyone else who made it possible

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the feedback. Went again today on my own so I could have a better look. No queue when I arrived, managed to get a lot of ambient light pictures as I could take my proper camera.

The light show tonight was something completely different and I'm glad I made the effort to go.

post-25-0-74494100-1383432274.png Would have liked to taken more shots, but this might give a flavour of the evening, prior to others adding better photos.post-25-0-21425800-1383432287.png

Great idea to light up the engines, enjoyed it. Can reiterate that NRM staff were helpful.

• RMweb Premium

Three of mine from Saturday evening (.02/11/13) I have more but these are the only ones I have had chance to resize yet. I can post if you want some more?

post-7289-0-53963400-1383595877_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-70986100-1383595898_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-65428500-1383595917_thumb.jpg

Something different. Well done NRM  :clapping:

Guest Digital

Had a great morning yesterday.

The staff at the NRM were very helpful and I would like to say thank you to them all for putting on this great display.

John

Archived