Mallard 75 - The Great Gathering

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

And we're at the front now so all in all, very efficient.....

I'm impressed!

Live updates from 'the queue' - who needs reality TV?

Kev.

Considering the postponement of Bittern's tour due to the obvious fire risk, what are the chances of extending the gathering at the NRM...? Even without the trade and support stands, it's allow more time and a better atmosphere for the public to see the six locos together. 

• RMweb Gold

In fairness, little of what you describe here was the case when I went on the first Saturday, Mike. The NRM book was not in the retail area in the Great Hall, and to the extent that I could get moved, I did not find it displayed in the main shop.

I was there on the first Saturday too. The FNRM 'Mallard and the A4's' book was on the FNRM stall - a bargain at less than £10. I bought the Book Law publication the weekend before from the NRM shop which I confess I didn't visit on 6th. Still a good range of merchandise in the Great Hall at the time I left (about 1300) on the 6th.  

I think the NRM are doing a decent job at getting the maximum financial return from the event whilst at the same time maintaining the principle of free access.

So, back home, what do we think, (Mrs Penguin accompanied me today).

Well, to get the "negatives" out the way first. I say "negatives" since I suppose they have been pointed out before, and in honesty, without being bought up, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

I have to agree though, I found the headboards gaudy, but understand why they're there. Far too many people to even move at points, let alone, get a half decent shot. Can't complain about that really either though since if no-one was there, what would be the point? The whole place was boiling hot too, but again, what can you do?

So, naff headboards, loads of people and very warm. Pull the bones out of that if you can be bothered.

NOW, onto the positives. I have to be honest, I'm a diesel man at heart, and was sad to have missed the 6 Deltics along with the prototype a few years ago. Was this a poor second best? OF COURSE IT WASN'T! I note everyones likes and dislikes, but I have to say, for me, this was one of those top events for a railway fan and here's why. Mrs Penguin hails from Poland and whilst she could probably point out a Deltic, she hadn't a clue what an A4 is. Today, I got to tell her about a British locomotive which STILL holds the world speed record for steam. Better than that, I got to point out the plaque on Mallards boiler celebrating the fact and better still, realising the fact, she took a picture of said plaque. We then got to look at 5 of her sisters and marvel at the effort that has gone into getting the 6 together and looking so smart as well as having a good look round one of the cabs after a very respectable time in the queue. The plaque on the floor Behind Sir Nigel Gresley was also a bonus for obvious reasons too.

Yes people, today I got to shout about a BRITISH locomotive and celebrate times gone by and what's more, I was proud to be able to do so.

Not bad for a Deltic fan eh?

Here's a few of my piccies from the day. I have left out the obligatory turntable and footbridge shots, but have managed to get a couple of individual locos with no-one alongside.

Enjoy.

post-6920-0-07990800-1374000157.jpg

post-6920-0-93049300-1374000176.jpg

post-6920-0-91574500-1374000193.jpg

post-6920-0-50041600-1374000457.jpg

post-6920-0-42365600-1374000234.jpg

post-6920-0-09939200-1374000248.jpg

Cheers.

Sean.

We went again yesterday, didn't bother with photos!

I think it can be said that the event has been very much a success - Thomas' only complaint has been that there's no engine to walk under! I'm sure that'll be reinstated at some point when the A4s have gone!

And I do hope the NRM's funds have been boosted by all the visitors this fortnight!

Forgive as this is my first post and I'm just getting used to how the forum works. I had the opportunity to see the Great Gathering last week. Unbelievable the number of people but with recent closure murmurings, it was certainly good to see it so busy.

I look forward to seeing them at Shildon.

Cheers Eddie

Trying for a different 'take' on the event, here is a virtually clear view of No.8 (achieved on 8th July - with split second timing)

post-16151-0-14636900-1374138325_thumb.jpg

And here she is in Green Bay Wisconsin!

post-16151-0-77568300-1374138470_thumb.jpg

This was December 2008. A work visit saw me 'holed up' in Chicago over a weekend. Mrs 4479 flew out to join me (she's nuts!), we hired a car, drove four hours up the side of Lake Michigan, paid (note!) to go in to the National Railroad Museum and felt real proud of ourselves having made the pilgrimage to see the exile... only now to find her about an hour away down the road!!

Great event though :good:

(ps - D'yer think it's worth me going back across the pond to track down the other 7 remaining 4-8-8-4s... or can we one day look forward to a 'Big Boy' fest at the NRM?)

Hi a great day out to see the 'gathering' yesterday.

Queues, what queues? We virtually walked straight in, about six people in front of us. This was at about 13:00 after a bonus at York station

post-11105-0-91966300-1374139735_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pictures.

post-11105-0-73548900-1374140108_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-49777700-1374140150_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-45948100-1374140185_thumb.jpg

Being the last day I guess we were lucky with the crowds.

Ray.

One of the first Class of loco's I had a serious obsession with was the A4s. In fact, I wish I could have gone to see these six Streaks at York, but due to unforsean circumstances I havn't been able to go, but I've enjoyed looking at the photos and it must be said: Lovely locos. Fine presentation. Hats off to the NRM :good:

Even if not authentic, I thought it would have been very nice if they could have had them in more liveries. Apple Green; Silver; Wartime Black.... Can't keep everybody happy, but maybe that could be an idea for the centenary in 2038  ;) 
Something I find quite preoccupying is the average age of the people in some of these photos. How sad that the youngsters are at home playing on their X Boxes and Facebook etc. :nono:

Or better yet replace it by 4771 or 6229 or even DELTIC which I think is in the same hall.

I thought Deltic was at Shildon. How long has it been at York for?

Right, now, when are we going to have a gathering of the remaining 18 Class 50s ;)

Guest spet0114

Right, now, when are we going to have a gathering of the remaining 18 Class 50s ;)

Having had reunions of the Deltics and now the A4s, I'd reckon the next in line are the 7(?) remaining Westerns. Maybe in time for the 40th anniversary of their withdrawal?

One of the first Class of loco's I had a serious obsession with was the A4s. In fact, I wish I could have gone to see these six Streaks at York, but due to unforsean circumstances I havn't been able to go, but I've enjoyed looking at the photos and it must be said: Lovely locos. Fine presentation. Hats off to the NRM :good:

You can always go in the autumn :)

Even if not authentic, I thought it would have been very nice if they could have had them in more liveries. Apple Green; Silver; Wartime Black.... Can't keep everybody happy, but maybe that could be an idea for the centenary in 2038  ;)

Not so long ago -

http://eastmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/2509-silver-link.html

Something I find quite preoccupying is the average age of the people in some of these photos. How sad that the youngsters are at home playing on their X Boxes and Facebook etc. :nono:

You could see that many of the normal visitors were there, just of a lot of extra visitors all of a 'certain age'! From being there (twice!) there were plenty of younger enthusiasts too :)

If it's at York, it's well hidden!

You're right it is at shildon, don't know what I was thinking... :scratchhead:  Ok then 6229 or 4771 are definitely at York and could be placed next to the gathering, maybe, possibly, perhaps...  ;)  looking forward to going in october and hopefully it will be quieter, but I seriously doubt it...

Sam

Should be 5, its doubtfull that Union will be there.

Why's it unlikely Union will be there?

DELTIC has been at Ribble Steam Railway for the last 12 months at least, 6229 is at Shildon

Well fancy that! Thanks for pointing that out. I'd of been ever so dissapointed if I had of gone and not found it there. Does anybody happen to know when it's due back at York/Shildon?

Why's it unlikely Union will be there?

A double booking with a railtour... From the NRM's Mallard 75 page;

Please note that due to unanticipated engineering works Union of South Africa will regretably not be on display from 31 October - 4 November.

Archived