Mallard 75 - The Great Gathering

Andy Y

Wednesday 3rd July will see the launch of the celebrations at 10.00.

Dominion_of_Canada_3.jpg

Final preparations started this afternoon as the museum approached closing time with Dominion of Canada and Dwight D Eisenhower in place around the turntable.

Dominion_of_Canada_1.jpg

Dominion_of_Canada_4.jpg

Dwight_D_Eisenhower_1.jpg

Dwight_D_Eisenhower_2.jpg

Dwight_D_Eisenhower_3.jpg

As Hornby are main sponsors of the event Simon Kohler will be there tomorrow with models of all 35 A4s and maybe even sporting a hi-vis! ;)

Simon_Kohler_2.jpg

Simon_Kohler_1.jpg

The headboards which will adorn the six locos arrived late this afternoon with Simon presenting Tobias Lumb of the NRM with the first headboard which was subsequently fitted to Dominion of Canada.

Great Gathering Presentation.jpg

Dominion_of_Canada_2.jpg

SNG, Bittern and USA will be shuffled into position tonight with Mallard taking a starring role on the turntable from 10.00 a.m.

Turntable_1.jpg

Please use this topic for further contributions through the event.

I was quite disappointed by the one show coverage. I thought that they would be above patronising Rod Stewart, especially as they cover a lot of niche hobbies on the show, but apparently not.

From what I've seen of the locos, they look fantastic. I hadn't planned on going, but as I'm placed in Doncaster at the moment, I really have no excuse! A Hornby display of all 35 A4s sounds rather interesting too.

Looking forward to getting across to York.

Even for a seasoned diesel fan, I couldn't miss this one. I saw one of the Green ones outside the museum as we passed on the 22nd June, but it was masked by D9002 so I'm not sure which one it was. Even so, she looked immaculate and a credit to the work that has been put in.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

I was quite disappointed by the one show coverage. I thought that they would be above patronising Rod Stewart, especially as they cover a lot of niche hobbies on the show, but apparently not.

From what I've seen of the locos, they look fantastic. I hadn't planned on going, but as I'm placed in Doncaster at the moment, I really have no excuse! A Hornby display of all 35 A4s sounds rather interesting too.

I thought Rod defended himself quite well, and Penny stood up for his hobby too! He seemed quite taken with the special Hornby "Rod Stewart Pullman" train pack they gave him at the end; Hornby are definitely getting some coverage out of this! 'Twas a shame there was so little coverage of the events at York - I wonder if there'll be more tomorrow?

personally I think the headboard ruins the work done to Canada. but that's just my opinion. we are going on the 8th to the event. my 2 and a half year old loves the 'mammard'!!

I wouldn't go as far as saying ruined, but it does take something away from the fantastic work put in. However, Hornby are sponsoring the event, so fair enough for the week. Sponsors' headboards of are quite common at re-launches and on main line runs. Didn't Bittern carry a 'Steam Railway magazine' headboard for its 90+mph run? It did whilst sitting at Kings Cross at least.

We should encourage any advertisement for Hornby that will appeal to the general public. They must be looking for a turn around after recent poor fortunes and press and we as the enthusiasts will hopefully benefit if they are successful!

Well, I know that it is the "real world" that we live in, and I guess Hornby are appropriate sponsors, but I think it's a shame that an event of this kind has to have advertising displays all over the place.

Ed

Without some sponsorship it's unlikely the event would be taking place. As Torn says it will expose the museum goers to the brand and the models. No bad thing.

• RMweb Premium

Without some sponsorship it's unlikely the event would be taking place. As Torn says it will expose the museum goers to the brand and the models. No bad thing.

Quite agree, but will be there be any A4 models on sale at the event I wonder? Otherwise just another missed opportunity.

Great to see Western Fusilier getting in on the act too...

• RMweb Premium

It is an 'unfortunate' truth in today's world that events and the like that aren't in and of themselves profitable need some form of sponsorship, whether that be via private commercial or public non-commercial sponsors. I'm just happy that the sponsor was at least railway related and not something completely unrelated like a washing powder, car or mobile phone manufacturer of some kind.

• RMweb Gold

Without some sponsorship it's unlikely the event would be taking place.

Quite. Had the NRM "blown" a wad of cash on this, some whistleblower (sorry) would have complained it could instead have been used to repair FS or whatever, or suggested that the NRM has more money than it "needs". Not much happens these days without a sponsor.

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to getting across to York.

Even for a seasoned diesel fan, I couldn't miss this one. I saw one of the Green ones outside the museum as we passed on the 22nd June, but it was masked by D9002 so I'm not sure which one it was. Even so, she looked immaculate and a credit to the work that has been put in.

Cheers.

Sean.

That would have been 60009 Union Of South Africa, I saw it outside the Museum and in the company of the '55' a few days earlier. I'd visited the Museum and viewed Mallard, Dwight D Eisenhower and Dominion of Canada in The Great Hall earlier in the day, but was unaware that No 9 was so close by until my north bound service train passed by.

Regards,

John

• RMweb Gold

Coverage now on BBC 'Breakfast' at regular 30-minute intervals.

And quite good coverage too - they even referred to 'Mallard' etc as 'engines' whereas Matt Baker persistently, and irritatingly, called it 'a train' on The One Show yesterday.  I thought Rod Stewart managed quite well actually and it was interesting to hear him say that his layout 'isn't finished' - so he clearly is a proper railway modeller!

That would have been 60009 Union Of South Africa, I saw it outside the Museum and in the company of the '55' a few days earlier. I'd visited the Museum and viewed Mallard, Dwight D Eisenhower and Dominion of Canada in The Great Hall earlier in the day, but was unaware that No 9 was so close by until my north bound service train passed by.

Regards,

John

That's a "cop" for me then. Only need the other two for the full set of six.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

Rod sounds like he has been incredibly patient under the onslaught of media condescension - no wonder the others tend to keep their heads below the parapet...

Best, Pete.

He wasn't too defensive Pete although not entirely forthcoming such as when asked to describe the size of his layout Penny Lancaster said 'it fills the entire roof' and he joined in to say 'it's about 30 feet long'.

All this is having an effect - my best friend, who has never shown an interest in trains, asked me if I knew of any more high-speed steam runs, so he could take his dad and his son to watch. I referred him to Bittern's third run on 27th July.

Whatever you may think, do come and see. It isn't just about enthusiasts, the event has caught folks' imagination big time. I've been doing non-stop interviews for the last 24 hours almost and the interest is good for us and it's good for Hornby.

Do come and support us, we value the interest and the like of this will never be seen again.

Archived