Mallard 75 - The Great Gathering

Andy Y

The pic below is a cheat: again a stitch of two pictures, effectively splicing in 60008, and replacing the 03 that was hauling it, with the front end of 60007. A little bit of the 03 shunter buffer beam is visible in front of Eisnehower, which is also missing a bit of its front end...

Unlike my picture in the previous post, this scene never existed in this form.

My only criticism of the morning events is that the shunter couldn't have left the 'platform' loco in position in the lineup for 5 mins before finishing the shunt.

post-4226-0-74251000-1392936231_thumb.jpg

The next pic is pure genuine, aside from cropping. Shows a certain forum contributor and NRM curator doing a spot of shunting at about 8.15 on Wednesday morning.

A great pairing of matching liveries, even down to the crests.

post-4226-0-01324600-1392941832_thumb.jpg

(tongue in cheek: Doubtless a special issue from Bachmann this year: a twin pack 03 + A4, and even call it something like 'Atlantic Conveyor').

Should Bachmann produce the NRM 03, or even one of the right config to renumber, I'd be very tempted now...

Headed up to Locomotion today. My Father and I decided get there later when the crowds had quietened down. Here is a selection of my photos.

If I'm honest I found it more enjoyable seeing them here, as it gave people the chance to see three of them in steam.

post-19999-0-94083100-1393015791_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-71871400-1393015798_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-52278800-1393015805_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-06335900-1393015813_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-86043300-1393015821_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-57544800-1393015828_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-75659100-1393015836_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-65465400-1393015843_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-94085400-1393015849_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-27944000-1393015879_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-57816400-1393015885_thumb.jpg

I went Friday at about 2:30 with my mother (and disabled label!) and it was not to bad getting in.

Given that my mother saw all 35 pre-war she was much taken with Mallard, Dominion and Bittern rather than the other three which 'weren't painted correctly'.

When we got back I dug out some of our Shildon 1975 to see photos of 4498 in the correct shade of blue and although the 6 A4s are a great sight and it was very well run, that fact that quite a lot of what is effectively stuffed and mounted in the shed was in steam, or moving, back in 75 made you wish that we could have the old times (and lack of regulation) back. 

This is a daft and some might say inconsiderate question, but apart from the fact that the preserved locos probably never wore them, why haven't Apple Green, early BR purple, or even wartime black ever featured...? Seeing all six together was certainly a spectacle, but there was a certain bittersweet element in knowing the obvious fate of the rest, bourne out by the fact that you could only see certain liveries on the O gauge layout at the NRM.

I took my son on Thursday. We arrived by train just after 9.00. Large queues forming from the carpark. And then the most bizarre moment. The fence separating the walkway from the station and the event had been opened and arrivees from the train just walked in (including my son and I who just followed the others). We were treated to a short period of crowd free photography. Did this happen on other days? I purchase three books from the NRM shop to offset my guilt!!!!

Despite the rain on Thursday, it was a great day. John Wigston, the artist, made me smile by displaying his painting of Mallard next to a 'proper streamilner'!!!!!!! - an LMS Coronation.

Let the heated responses begin.......

Mike Wiltshire

I took my son on Thursday. We arrived by train just after 9.00. Large queues forming from the carpark. And then the most bizarre moment. The fence separating the walkway from the station and the event had been opened and arrivees from the train just walked in (including my son and I who just followed the others). We were treated to a short period of crowd free photography. Did this happen on other days? I purchase three books from the NRM shop to offset my guilt!!!!

Despite the rain on Thursday, it was a great day. John Wigston, the artist, made me smile by displaying his painting of Mallard next to a 'proper streamilner'!!!!!!! - an LMS Coronation.

Let the heated responses begin.......

Mike Wiltshire

No, I'm on your side Mike...!!!

I have to admit that the "inverted sledge" streamlined style of the A4 is a real winner...................however, the "inverted bathtub" loco streamlining, if not as stylish, was certainly iconic.

But as a born and bred Crewe lad, son of a 5A inverted bathtub driver/fireman....what would you expect.

Bob

PS....I went to Shildon on Wednesday by train.........but no such luck avoiding the queue....and that was arriving at about 1 ish.

Guest Digital

Visited early morning on Sat, we went in on the early morning event which gave us 1.5 hours before the crowds came in.

The sun was out but unfortunately we were facing straight into it.

What a cracking event, a big thank you to all involved with special thanks to the gentleman who was swopping the head boards around for various photos.

John

Guest Digital

Wow what great pictures John. That first black and white shot is superb.

Thanks for posting

Nik

Thanks for the comments. my favourite is the 1st photo to.

John

The pic below is a cheat: again a stitch of two pictures, effectively splicing in 60008, and replacing the 03 that was hauling it, with the front end of 60007. A little bit of the 03 shunter buffer beam is visible in front of Eisnehower, which is also missing a bit of its front end...

Unlike my picture in the previous post, this scene never existed in this form.

My only criticism of the morning events is that the shunter couldn't have left the 'platform' loco in position in the lineup for 5 mins before finishing the shunt.

attachicon.giflineup_wmk.jpg

The next pic is pure genuine, aside from cropping. Shows a certain forum contributor and NRM curator doing a spot of shunting at about 8.15 on Wednesday morning.

A great pairing of matching liveries, even down to the crests.

attachicon.gifGreen_pair.jpg

(tongue in cheek: Doubtless a special issue from Bachmann this year: a twin pack 03 + A4, and even call it something like 'Atlantic Conveyor').

Should Bachmann produce the NRM 03, or even one of the right config to renumber, I'd be very tempted now...

Nice pics, apologies for my ugly mug. We were fighting time, and I'm sorry I didn't drop the 03 off No.8...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry Worsdell. The badly damaged info about Mallard is urban myth and is something I always thought was the case until recently. The Inside big end bearing ran hot, Mallard was taken off at Peterborough and the bearing had to be remetalled . The loco was back in service within 9 days after being returned to Donny for a replacement of the centre axle as a 'precaution'. 

The damage is thought to have been caused by the "abruptness with which steam was shut off for the curve through Essendine" (Thanks to Railway Magazine, July 2013 - interesting article pages 14 to 19).

P

I had forgotten that I also heard that there were some modifications made to etither the regulator valves to allow a little steam to continue flowing if the reg was 'slammed shut' or footplate staff were instructed to keep some steam on if making a 'quick stop' from high speed. Not sure where I read that - maybe something about Gresley?

Phil

Archived