Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Show us your scratchbuilt building

Those who were at Scalefourum may have seen our laser cutter in use, these parts were cut over the weekend and are one of the waiting rooms at Aylesbury station, the walls are built from a number of layers of Rowmark and Perspex and have been designed to locate using cocktail sticks through location holes, with double sided tape to hold them together. the plinths then cover the holes.

All the brickwork is correct including the 1/4 closer bricks each side of the doors and corners.

David

post-186-0-25936900-1412012566.jpg

post-186-0-53605700-1412012601_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-42352800-1412012746_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-77363400-1412012767_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 10

The a start of an 7mm 3/4 relief build of the Earl of Dudley "Muck Works" on the Saltwells branch of the Pennsnett Railway. ;)

post-185-0-87327800-1412781555.jpg

post-185-0-11347400-1412781569.jpg

Very slow build as still nursing badly cut finger and having to wear a protect glove.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

I have been following this thread with amazement, my skills still have a very long way to go until I am anywhere near the standards that have been on display.  I have started though, this is a coal stage I scratchbuilt for my yard area on my Wakefield West layout.  I needed a NE styled coal stage and through some drawings obtained of the structure at North Blyth, I adapted it for the location on the layout (basically mirror imaged it to make the entry from the opposite end).

Here it is under construction. first the base - all Wills sheets with some scratchbuilt and some kitbashed windows and doors (the latter from a Dapol engine shed kit).

img1117800.jpg

Constructing the upper portion:

img1118800.jpg

and finished ready for painting and weathering

img1120800.jpg

Initial placement on the layout:

s72n.jpg

A bit of a fuzzy close up:

vdhy.jpg

and as a backdrop in various layout views:

oju2.jpg

ll5y.jpg

and probably my favourite angle to view it

Ci3M6i.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 18

Truly a great job on the coal stage, and in fact on the whole scene. Looking forward to seeing more. Even in an incomplete stage it's very evocative due to careful work and the eye of an artist.

Edited by MikeHohn

Lancashire & Yorkshire Goods Shed ex 'East Lancs' design, thi is one of my favourite shots from my old Layout.

Stone colour desert yellow and matt black for the basic colour tone.

The 2nd photo shows the front view which was typical East Lancs.

post-1241-0-55337000-1413824412_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-62278700-1413824823_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Hi 

I have been following this thread with amazement, my skills still have a very long way to go until I am anywhere near the standards that have been on display.  I have started though, this is a coal stage I scratchbuilt for my yard area on my Wakefield West layout.  I needed a NE styled coal stage and through some drawings obtained of the structure at North Blyth, I adapted it for the location on the layout (basically mirror imaged it to make the entry from the opposite end).

Here it is under construction. first the base - all Wills sheets with some scratchbuilt and some kitbashed windows and doors (the latter from a Dapol engine shed kit).

img1117800.jpg

img1118800.jpg

img1120800.jpg

s72n.jpg

vdhy.jpg

oju2.jpg

ll5y.jpg

Ci3M6i.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Very nice modelling indeed.  Wakefield West eh?  Where's that supposed to be then?  Somewhere around the Horbury/Healey Mills area?  I sort of recognise the view of the backscene in the shed photo (or am I completely wrong and is it somewhere else entirely?!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi 5050

My layout topic is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89595-wakefield-west/

Basically it is based around Wakefield Westgate on the ECML to Leeds.  If I had the room I would model both the line to Ossett and Dewsbury and also Horbury cutting and Kirkgate, but the area around Westgate appealed to me given my BR (NE) interests.

The photo backscene is actually from an area further north, in the North Yorkshire national park, as when I was last over in 2011, we stayed in a small pub there and I took several landscape panoramas with a view to using them on the layout.  This one was the most similar to the rolling hills around Wrenthorpe and further north and the eye line was just about spot on for the area I was modelling.

Cheers
Tony 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

summut to post up ( A Mixed Bag) .

Watlington 7mm,

Biggleswade coal office 7mm

Wimbourn tank 4mm

cheers

Peter

Really nice work!

Would love a detailed description of how you made the tarpaper roof on the first building. It is absolutely superb.

Here's my latest work in progress

It's based in the signal box that was at Blackmoor crossing on the old woodhead route I'll be calling my version Barnsley Central sidings instead

post-5078-0-33013700-1416337162_thumb.jpg

post-5078-0-51329100-1416337184_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Brian

• Like 5

Thanks freebs

I followed your advice with the weathering

it's had a bit more work done on it Apart from the windows and interior it's done

I forgot all about the scale lol as near to 2mm as I could get it lol

Here's the latest pic

post-5078-0-28624400-1416414986_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Brian

• Like 1

Hi 

img1117800.jpg

img1118800.jpg

img1120800.jpg

s72n.jpg

vdhy.jpg

oju2.jpg

ll5y.jpg

Ci3M6i.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Somehow, and much to my loss, I missed this post and what a post !

Apart from the absolutely perfect and faultless trackwork - and those sweeping curves !! - the whole layout is absolutely up there with the best and is a true work of art - LOVE it !!

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1