Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Show us your scratchbuilt building

I have just caught up with this thread all 32 pages of it.I am astounded at the quality of these models. There are some very talented people on here. I have just scratch built my first building a small pump house for my fuelling point. But after seeing the other models on here I wouldn't dare post a photo. Well done everyone for the inspiration.

Darrel, post it. You're as good as any body else. We're not here to take the pxxs, we're here to encourage each other.

Cheers.

Allan.

Darrel, post it. You're as good as any body else. We're not here to take the pxxs, we're here to encourage each other.

Cheers.

Allan.

Thanks Alan ok here it is nowhere near the standard of your excellent models, but I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

Darrel

post-5114-0-07646900-1440087224_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks Alan ok here it is nowhere near the standard of your excellent models, but I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

Darrel

That's a nice first attempt. My first building was not as nicely square as yours. It looked like a lozenge!

If I may be so bold to offer one or two suggestions regarding building modelling in general:

1. Never be completely satisfied with what you do. By continually pushing yourself further will you will find (and develop) skills you may not have thought you had or could master.
  2. "Think Outside The Box" An old cliché but a truism. Plastic is only one medium for buildings (the justly famous John Ahern [Madder Valley] used old cereal boxes). I use mixed media (paper, plastic, brass, resin and white metal)
  3. Find a standard which you wish - eventually - to achieve (or hope to). For me, it is Roye England's superb models for Pendon, for others it might be Copenhagen Fields, or the work of Allan Downes.
  4. Be prepared to throw it away. A couple of projects I have done (such as the Halwil Goods Shed) resulted in me binning the work-to-date and restarting as I found it unsatisfactory (one of the problems of setting standards for oneself is that one knows where all the problems and errors are, even if others don't [or politely say they don't]). At worst, you'll loose time and a little material.
  5. Read, read, read, read. There are dozens of books out there that describe building construction methods. Some are excellent, some skimp on the details and others - to put it politely - are less than optimal. Nonetheless, I have yet to read a book on constructing model buildings that hasn't given me at least one or two ideas and tips.

Finally, here's a picture of an interior I created for an ongoing project (and, yes, I can find at least 5 things that could be done better...)

post-123-0-78294000-1440605333.jpg

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My card efforts, documented elsewhere as Gainford Spa ...

finally coming together as a small early railway terminus. hopefully some recognisable buildings from the north east.

Most of the scene is card - rolling stock included

I hope you all like ... please be brutal.

oh, I checked - the yard gates are the right way up... but I did need to check 3 times :)

also agree with il dottore... bin it if you don't think it is up to scratch. you will end up binning it anyway. I would also suggest looking back at older models and comparing them with new ones... and don't be afraid of binning or updating if you need to

post-11344-0-18116600-1440781625_thumb.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 3

Good advice from iL Dottore ,don't be afraid to fail and bin it ,I've a bin full of stuff I messed up or didn't think was right ,I always get nervous to post stuff even in my own threads never mind a thread with such great workmanship like this one

And I agree with Allan ,were here to encourage ,help and give support ,there's people who never try to scratchbuild stuff because they think it's hard and the hard part is actually having a go

Darrel that's a good looking model you should be proud of it

Brian

A little coal and water stage, based on one at Beamish. Hand scribed and painted - the first time in 20 years I have done bricks this way, and there is no way I will be making a brick warehouse any time soon!

However, a nice little diversion, and a good possible first project if you used brick papers.

post-11344-0-11345000-1441140374.jpg

post-11344-0-48864300-1441140379.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

As a bit of light relief to all the finished buildings on the thread, here's one under construction. It's based on Steven's Corn Store, which was at the end of Bodmin North (LSWR) station down in Cornwall. It's being made from plasticard for my 7mm layout Pencarrow Bridge. Still lots to do but this is two months worth of on and off modelling time. This is my first attempt at a 7mm building and this is a monster at 750mm long.

post-6675-0-16307800-1441174180_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-90775400-1441174233_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-85643100-1441174294_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-46539400-1441174333_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-27876900-1441174378_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-37900600-1441174411_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-76014000-1441174449_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-98838600-1441174485_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-36264500-1441174527_thumb.jpg

All the stonework is hand scribed and the roof tiles individually laid. The painting is mostly primer with an experimental patch of colour added to see how it looks. Still lots to do.

Lots more photos and text in my Pencarrow thread from page 93 onwards.

Oh, here's a close-up of a patch of scribed stonework painted up as an experiment.

post-6675-0-15126600-1441175920.jpg

• Like 4

As a bit of light relief to all the finished buildings on the thread, here's one under construction. It's based on Steven's Corn Store, which was at the end of Bodmin North (LSWR) station down in Cornwall. It's being made from plasticard for my 7mm layout Pencarrow Bridge. Still lots to do but this is two months worth of on and off modelling time. This is my first attempt at a 7mm building and this is a monster at 750mm long.

attachicon.gifrps20150817_182614.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150819_220939.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150818_225221.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150820_212402.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150822_211428.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150829_222913.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150831_225320.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150831_225443.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150831_233558.jpg

All the stonework is hand scribed and the roof tiles individually laid. The painting is mostly primer with an experimental patch of colour added to see how it looks. Still lots to do.

Lots more photos and text in my Pencarrow thread from page 93 onwards.

Oh, here's a close-up of a patch of scribed stonework painted up as an experiment.

attachicon.gifpost-6675-0-00908900-1439057756_thumb.jpg

That Chris, is truly awesome modelling.

Speechless.

Cheers.

Allan.

That patched up stonework was one hell of an experiment. I concur with the sentiments of the esteemed Mr Downes.

Thanks also for showing us such lovely work in progress. There is so much to be learned from looking at it that way.

cheers

Andy

ps 750mm ? 3/4 of the size of my entire layout :)

ilovetrains? thank you for posting - it looks great, and it was clear what it was without you telling us.

The great thing about this site for me, is the range of abilities, and everyone in here will have some aspect of the hobby that they can learn about from others

You made it? You be proud of it :)

Edited by cornamuse

• RMweb Premium

The only point I'd make is the actual track sleepers use chairs with 3 bolts, whereas your bin has a front sleeper with 4 bolts per chair.

I don't think that's his own layout Stu, just a photographic plank to show off and advertise items for sale. That said, I think three bolt chairs are more common on most layout track.

The only point I'd make is the actual track sleepers use chairs with 3 bolts, whereas your bin has a front sleeper with 4 bolts per chair.

My defence, the track is a newer installation and the ballast bin uses old available sleepers of the GCR pattern. I think I got away with that..  :whistle:

I don't think that's his own layout Stu, just a photographic plank to show off and advertise items for sale. That said, I think three bolt chairs are more common on most layout track.

The track is a display stand for my locomotives. I really do need to make a photo plank but you are correct, the chairs are regular C+L. I'm not sure 4 bolt chairs are available in 7mm?

• Like 1

Does this count as scratchbuilt?

post-1191-0-84037300-1441304485.jpg

post-1191-0-46058000-1441305140_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-70198400-1441305443_thumb.jpg

I designed laser cut parts for the the glazed "walls" , cruxiform bracing, support brackets, stair supports and roof trusses. Everthing in fact that would have been difficult to cut accurately and consistently by hand. Anything else was made from hand cut plasticard sheet, strip and tube.

The working lamps are from the DCC Comcepts range, painted in LNWR "brown". The station buildings in the background are made up from GJR LNWR station panels, with scratchbuilt roof structures.

• Like 14

Does this count as scratchbuilt?

attachicon.gifLNWR footbridge.jpg

attachicon.gifLNWR covered footbridge 2.JPG

attachicon.gifCoal Tank P1.jpg

I designed laser cut parts for the the glazed "walls" , cruxiform bracing, support brackets, stair supports and roof trusses. Everthing in fact that would have been difficult to cut accurately and consistently by hand. Anything else was made from hand cut plasticard sheet, strip and tube.

The working lamps are from the DCC Comcepts range, painted in LNWR "brown". The station buildings in the background are made up from GJR LNWR station panels, with scratchbuilt roof structures.

Fantastic.