Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Show us your scratchbuilt building

My silos have been painted and weathered. Still needs a few other details added, ie, down pipes, ladder, feed chute...

attachicon.gifIMG_1528 (2) resize.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1529 (2) resize.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

Great subtle weathering technique on the silos. Reminds me of the Summer Hill Flour mill which was such a landmark when I traveled into Sydney via the western suburbs line back in the eighties,. I think its  now expensive apartments and looks nothing like the original flour mill, despite what the developers say.

Well done anyway! Must be a huge model..

My silos are 12 1/2" tall and 13" wide. The silo tubes are 50mm diameter PVC pipe. I went past the silos at Summer Hill recently and yes, they are swanky new apartment (flats !). In a matter of fact, that whole area is full of swanky apartments...

Cheers, Gary.

My silos are 12 1/2" tall and 13" wide. The silo tubes are 50mm diameter PVC pipe. I went past the silos at Summer Hill recently and yes, they are swanky new apartment (flats !). In a matter of fact, that whole area is full of swanky apartments...

Cheers, Gary.

I know - we used to have flats in Australia, then at some point in the nineties they became apartments. I guess it sounds more glamorous.... 

I realise that this is going way off thread topic and is probably totally uninteresting to everyone else here, but  Allied Fielders built a big shiny silver new replacement mill down here just past Picton. Promised a bright future and employment for everybody, but its actually run by 4 or so blokes and a computer.

post-22541-0-44786400-1483361205_thumb.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun

Here are two photos of my N scale scratchbuilt low relief model of a rail served regional steel disitrubtor. The prototype operated in the Australian regional centre of Shepparton (Victoria). Prototype article included.

Purdey Steel 01

Purdey Steel 02

Purdey Steel prototype article

The model is placed on a module from my table top shunting layout "Sadlers Sidings" - see:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=26139.msg282260#msg282260
Cheers, Andrew G.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I think I detect a curtain in the background - wait for good natural light, get the camera down low and at a more 3/4 view angle of the building (so we can see the doorway) and turn the flash off :)

Thank you freebs! I will give it ago - I was attempting to show the building lit up with the lighting I installed but they were too bright with no light on in the room. I will have another go at the weekend

Ian

Here are two photos of my N scale scratchbuilt low relief model of a rail served regional steel disitrubtor. The prototype operated in the Australian regional centre of Shepparton (Victoria). Prototype article included.

The model is placed on a module from my table top shunting layout "Sadlers Sidings" - see:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=26139.msg282260#msg282260

Cheers, Andrew G.

Hi Andrew,

Just wondering -what did you use for N gauge corrugated iron? IT looks good.  Its often  modelled as very rusty and weathered,  but I've also seen many examples of buildings where it is still the uniform pale silver gray as you have it, with no sign of rust so its nice to see an example of that. Maybe the local climate has an affect on how it ages. I guess in  dry inland areas it might stand up better?

I don't know much about Shepparton, was it a gold rush town?

(Warning - the following has nothing to do with scratchbuilt buildings, so if it disappears, I understand, especially if Shepparton turns out to NOT be involved in our gold rush antics!)

As an aside, its always intriguing  to read about some of these regional Australian areas during the gold rush. History is all taken up with the American goldrush version - all that "miner 49'er and his darling Clamentine" stuff and so on, but theres little known about what went on  down here. Cities like Ballarat sprung up pretty much overnight, built on the back of huge riches  -  and massive commercial and public buildings then went up due to the strength of the immense wealth of gold  found. At one point in the 1890's the biggest stock market in the world was located in one of these provincial Australian cities - I can't remember which one - Charters Towers in Queensland, or one of the Victorian towns. All built by gold.

How do I know all this? you are possibly wondering. Well, back in the 70's this kind of thing was what we learned at school here in Australia - all gold rushes and bushrangers and explorers.

Learning was such fun back then!  For instance, we all knew who Dirk Hartog was, and Captain Moonlight, and the exploring bloke  who was doing exploring stuff (I forget his name right now) who got killed by aborigines who  speared him  in the back, and  - we got to see the artists impression of the the exploring bloke getting speared in the back in our textlbooks.. . . No one teaches these things any more here, let alone handing out textbooks with blokes getting speared in the back  to 8 year olds - , which means that sadly, the rmweb forum of 40 years from now will be barren when it comes to Australian history and violence.

But back then, it wasn't just schools pumping this information into us, our national broadcaster had a series on the gold rush called 'Rush" which was unmissable to all us 10 year odds in 1974, which meant it was such a joyous chance to revisit it  when it was resurrected and comically re-voiced as the pretty funny  'The Olden Days" by a comedy show back in the 90's.

Edited by monkeysarefun

I've cut a few corners, which is why I always say 'based on Nailsworth' - one of the chimney stacks was really ornate, for instance, but I've modelled it like the others. I had to get the model finished in time to take to Bristol 0 gauge show on Sunday.

Peter

• Like 1

I've cut a few corners, which is why I always say 'based on Nailsworth' - one of the chimney stacks was really ornate, for instance, but I've modelled it like the others. I had to get the model finished in time to take to Bristol 0 gauge show on Sunday.

Peter

Excellent standard of workmanship.

May I ask what you did to produce the Bath stone please (I'm assuming it is Bath stone )?

I use printed papers for the stone and the slates; I used a photo of a real stone wall, resized it on the computer to 7mm scale and then cut and pasted it until it filled an A4 sheet.  I use Serif Pageplus software. This was printed off onto gloss photo paper, and then put on a colour photocopier at my local print shop so enough sheets could be run off. Fortunately Cotswold stone has a smooth surface, so it's ideal.

I also ought to say that the pictures look so realistic because they were taken outside in daylight...in fact I drive a mile out of town into open countryside, park on a wide verge, put a sheet of ply on the car roof with the model on top and then take the pictures. The cows in the field looked a bit taken aback but it works a treat.....the pictures are then cropped on Pageplus to remove bits that aren't wanted, like the car aerial! I'd been waiting for days for a bit of dry sunny weather, it's been very frustrating. You can see what I mean in the bottom picture which hasn't been cropped.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Please excuse a small Viking intrusion into this excellent thread. I just wish I had enough time to read all 55 pages of it!

I've described my P87 Danish layout 'Obbekaer' elsewhere on this forum, but this time these are photos of a row of buildings for the next layout. This time I'm modelling a complete quayside scene from Ribe (Denmark's Oldest Town) in the early 1960s, with a railway station between the houses and the riverside.

Fortunately, there's a strong sense of conservation in Ribe, so many of these buildings are just the same as they would have been in the 1950s. Some of the models have been built using architects' drawings. Others have been done from photographs and a serious bout of brick counting - bearing in mind of course that Danish bricks are a different size from those over here.

All the walls are drawn out on TurboCAD and printed onto ordinary printer paper, which is then stuck to plasticard with solvent. Each wall is then built up in layers with the inner and outer walls separated by a framework of Evergreen microstrip that produces a strong cavity wall that is very rigid and stable. The brick courses are then added to the outside, one at a time, from .022" x .011" microstrip, and the vertical joints then cut with a scalpel to form the correct pattern of brickwork. A sprayed coat of grey primer provides the mortar colour, and the bricks are then painted using various shades of acrylics. The only purchased elements are the pantile sheets (Auhagen), which are carefully cut to shape before fitting.

My favourite of the whole row is the half-timbered building on the end, which on the front face has different patterns of individually placed bricks between the timbers.

The final photo shows the almost completed row in its display case at Rail 2016 in The Netherlands last year, together with a montage of the whole street. Before you ask, the cathedral tower will be on the backscene - any good artists out there?

Regards,

Geraint

post-6407-0-71692300-1485040681_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-76394600-1485040710_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-29091400-1485040733_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-31745400-1485040748_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-27482800-1485040793_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-95944700-1485040991_thumb.jpg

• Like 14