The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

41 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

A man walks into a fishmongers with a salmon under his arm.

"Excuse me. Do you make fishcakes?"

"Yes"

"That's good, it's his birthday!"

Someone's just watched Only Connect as well then :-)

Stu

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

The Philosophy Degree exam commenced and the candidates opened their papers they were confronted with a single question.

1.  Is this a question?

The candidates looked, thought and commenced to write their answers...   except for one, who sat, transfixed, staring at the question for the entire 3 hours.  As the appointed time allocated came to a close, he scribbled a few words and with a heaved breath, left the room, along with the others.

When results day arrived, the candidates crowded round the notice board.  There were a few who had achieved low level scrape passes and only one First.  It was, of course the one who had scribbled a few last minute words {else why would the pre-amble be thus?} and his answer?

1. Is this a question?

"If this is an answer".

Julian

• Like 8

5 hours ago, jcredfer said:

The Philosophy Degree exam commenced and the candidates opened their papers they were confronted with a single question.

1.  Is this a question?

The candidates looked, thought and commenced to write their answers...   except for one, who sat, transfixed, staring at the question for the entire 3 hours.  As the appointed time allocated came to a close, he scribbled a few words and with a heaved breath, left the room, along with the others.

When results day arrived, the candidates crowded round the notice board.  There were a few who had achieved low level scrape passes and only one First.  It was, of course the one who had scribbled a few last minute words {else why would the pre-amble be thus?} and his answer?

1. Is this a question?

"If this is an answer".

The story is as old as the hills but supposedly dates to an actual exam at Oxford early last century. The original answer, in true biconditional logical connective style, was "If and only if this is an answer".

Which reminds me of something I saw personally in my university days. A friend who was studying philosophy had to write an essay presenting arguments that time doesn't exist. It was handed in late and when marked the lecturer wrote a note that is was very well written and successfully argued, but as it was submitted late couldn't be given full marks. I think it was given 95/100. The student then sent it back with a comment that if the essay had successfully argued that time doesn't exist, it couldn't possibly have been submitted late. The lecturer returned it re-marked as 101/100.

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Should be easy for dancers and actors, less so for musicians.  Some singers already honk.

Only of interest to musicians if they're about to end their career anyway I'd have thought!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, petethemole said:

Should be easy for dancers and actors, less so for musicians.  Some singers already honk.

Have real swans in the ballet Swan Lake (or Duck Pond as we regulars at the Proms call it).

• Funny 3

8 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

Co-Bo bedimage.jpeg.5d6847c84496926880a49cdc51a4b36a.jpeg

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Can't be, hasn't broken down or caught fire and been replaced by a Black 5...

Can be! Although it has a lot of electrics, and wheels, it spends a lot of time being pushed around by external sources of motive power.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Short "Love Story" !

*WIFE:* -What would you do if i died?
Would you get married again?

*Husband:*- No...how can I think of marrying?

*Wife:* - Why not? You would need company...for good and bad moments.... please marry again

*Husband:* ...you are so sweet.... even after death you are worrying about me...

*Wife:* - So promise me, you will remarry if I die...

*Husband:* - Ok, ok, I will get married again...just for you

*Wife:* Would you live in our house with your new wife...?

"Husband:* Yes, but I will never let her use your room.

*Wife:* Would you let her drive my car ?

*Husband:* no... it’s yours... I will keep it as your memory... and buy her a new one..

Wife:* Would you give her my jewellery?

Husband:* No...how can I...? It has your memories attached
.. I am sure she would want her own.

Wife:* Would she wear my shoes..?

*Husband:* No, never
... her size is '7', and yours is 9.

*Wife:* --silence-

*Husband:* Oh Sh1t..!!!

*His funeral is tomorrow, !!!...*

Another version of that joke I've heard.

"Would she use my golf clubs?"

"No, she's left handed."

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/10/2020 at 04:14, J. S. Bach said:

As one who collects post cards, I would be quite happy with that. All the different stamps/postmarks!!!! :yahoo_mini:

Trouble is these days you get generic postmarks from a very limited number of mail centres.

How much interest would there be of railways, if every train was identical, including the livery? Yes, I'm aware that is true of say many (most) commuter lines, but even busy main lines.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1