The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

0-6-0s were "duck sixes" - so I suspect that's the origin of Awdry's "Duck".

I always thought it was because Awdry's Pannier had a waddle (like the one Duck was alleged to have).

A Gaiety Pannier with a deformed wheel, according a few secondary sources:

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Duck/Behind_the_Scenes#Behind_the_Scenes

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Also, 0-8-0s, especially ex-LNWR ones in the West Midlands, were known to spotters as "duck eights" - to distinguish them from 8F 2-8-0s; 0-6-0s were "duck sixes" - so I suspect that's the origin of Awdry's "Duck".

Not quite.

The story goes the original chassis of his Gaiety model waddled badly so his children nicknamed it Duck. Even after replacing the chassis the name stuck.

One of the models he had for a proper model railway he had planned based on a GWR branch line. Later replaced by a K's Kit version. That's why only two regular character engines in the books are in normal railway guises, Duck and Oliver (also a K's kit as was the autotrailer).

Jason

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Titan said:

Well one of these magnificent machines could pretty much walk away with any train you cared to hang on the hook...

spacer.png

GWR_28xx_Consolidation_2803_(Howden,_Boy

"Because one of mine could pull two of their bloody things backwards!"

I hope this little jape does not result  in things becoming Sauvage, as the result of some cross compound fans.

Edited by rocor
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

The number of people interested in Midland Railway 1000 class locomotives used to be approximated by the equation i*(1.01^t), where i is the class' initial following and t is the number of years since the class was introduced. Now it is goverened by the equation. Now it is better approximated by i*(1.02^t). This is due to a rise in rates of compound interest.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 4

17 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

The number of people interested in Midland Railway 1000 class locomotives used to be approximated by the equation i*(1.01^t), where i is the class' initial following and t is the number of years since the class was introduced. Now it is goverened by the equation. Now it is better approximated by i*(1.02^t). This is due to a rise in rates of compound interest.

It's all OK- 
We are aware of the intermittent site speed issues at the moment. Please be patient and don't repeatedly click things as that compounds the issue.  (as the current site header is...)

James

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, peach james said:

It's all OK- 
We are aware of the intermittent site speed issues at the moment. Please be patient and don't repeatedly click things as that compounds the issue.  (as the current site header is...)

Or as the man said, just hit your device with a mallet.

• Funny 5

Have we exhausted this line of jokes yet?  Or are there a few simple ones yet to be found ?  Further Expansion on the issue might result in us spinning like a turbine.  I may have to reheat my cup of tea before this is over...

Stay tuned next week, when we go to Vauclain (not Vulcan) for expanded answers to all your questions on SCC, DCC (not Digital Command Control either), Uniflow, 241P's, and other magnificent machines !

James

• Like 4

I’ve come up with an idea for a TV show, it pulls together two big hits and is called ‘Six Feet Under The Apprentice’.

Each week we take one of the loathsome contestants from the Apprentice and re-enact one of the deaths from the ‘Six Feet Under’ pre title sequence. For the season finale we do it with Alan Sugar!

As well as creating entertaining TV it would have the plus of ridding society of people of these people. A double win.

OK, somewhat influenced by the late Bill Hicks idea for a TV show ‘Let’s Hunt Down and Kill Billy Ray Cyrus’.

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

On 27/01/2022 at 17:46, CameronL said:

Mind you, there could even be some Era 11 modellers out there who wouldn't know what a compound was if it hit them on the head while wearing a T-shirt that said "I'm A Compound!" on it.

"What's a Compund? Well, you know what compund interest is? And I'm sure you'd agree that it's a jolly good thing. Well, that's what a Compund is..." - The Right Honourable James Hacker, MP

3 hours ago, Jamiel said:

I’ve come up with an idea for a TV show, it pulls together two big hits and is called ‘Six Feet Under The Apprentice’.

Each week we take one of the loathsome contestants from the Apprentice and re-enact one of the deaths from the ‘Six Feet Under’ pre title sequence. For the season finale we do it with Alan Sugar!

As well as creating entertaining TV it would have the plus of ridding society of people of these people. A double win.

OK, somewhat influenced by the late Bill Hicks idea for a TV show ‘Let’s Hunt Down and Kill Billy Ray Cyrus’.

Just don't tell Denis Leary.....

• Round of applause 1

15 hours ago, Jamiel said:

Similar to a version of Celebrity Big Brother - take a whole load of vacuous Celebrities, lock them in a big house (or put them in a very remote jungle)....

....and leave them there.  :yes:  :jester:

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 4

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Similar to a version of Celebrity Big Brother - take a whole load of vacuous Celebrities, lock them in a big house (or put them in a very remote jungle)....

....and leave them there.  :yes:  :jester:

Good idea!

Celebrity Lord of the Flies!!!

Who will be the Conch Holder this evening?

But the only problem is, without supervision, they might breed....

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Jamiel said:

Didn't Victor Meldrew do a prequel of that?

VictorMeldrew1.jpeg.9fe6672d1b8f4181976b6935f30a9ae7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Good idea!

Celebrity Lord of the Flies!!!

Who will be the Conch Holder this evening?

But the only problem is, without supervision, they might breed....

I don't think there's any doubt that vacuous celebrities will breed....

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

I don't think there's any doubt that vacuous celebrities will breed....

For certain. Just look at the Kardashians.

Apparently there's a proposal to use Kardashians in experiments instead of laboratory rats. There are three benefits to this - 

1) They breed faster.

2) The laboratory staff won't get so attached to them.

3) There are some things that rats won't do ...

• Funny 18