The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Got plenty of them at home! Easier to read than on a screen, and I find the idea of lots of electronics to replace something simple and straightforward and low-tech that works well and has done so for years rather absurd.

One difference being that I can take that entire volume of books with me on holiday along with hundreds more. I can even keep them in my hip pocket. Yes my reader needs charging. About once a month when used for a couple of hours a day.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

One difference being that I can take that entire volume of books with me on holiday along with hundreds more. I can even keep them in my hip pocket. Yes my reader needs charging. About once a month when used for a couple of hours a day.

Doesn't sound like much of a holiday if you've got to take that many books to keep you going through it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Doesn't sound like much of a holiday if you've got to take that many books to keep you going through it!

Lol, well I don't need hundreds of books but I'm a fast reader so can easily get through two or three novels in a week just by reading in the evenings. If I'm not going by road I can also typically read one book on the way out and another on the way back. And if something goes wrong (as did a week ago for a lot of people) I can just continue reading until it's sorted.

https://ecobravo.co.uk/blogs/blog/paper-books-vs-e-readers-which-is-best-for-the-environment

I used to collect books and ended up with several hundred but really they just became a waste of space. I rarely read any of them more than once. I seem to be averaging two novels a week at the moment and will likely increase that over winter now that I'm retired so I'm also doing the planet a favour. Probably ;)

"I was in court the other day for a traffic violation and the judge downloaded the book at me."

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Lol, well I don't need hundreds of books but I'm a fast reader so can easily get through two or three novels in a week just by reading in the evenings.

Fair enough then!

I used to collect books and ended up with several hundred but really they just became a waste of space. I rarely read any of them more than once. I seem to be averaging two novels a week at the moment and will likely increase that over winter now that I'm retired so I'm also doing the planet a favour. Probably ;)

I've got quite a lot (no idea of the number) sitting on shelves at home. I don't regard them as a waste of space, even though there are some books there I've never read and others I've read several times - I'm happy to read a book more than once, just as I'm happy to listen to music I like more than once. And it's quite pleasant simply to browse through the shelves seeing if anything catches my eye to read next.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Depends on what sort of books you are talking about.

Good luck with Midland Wagons Volume Two on any device or as an audiobook!

I'm imagining hours of the sounds of wagons bouncing over jointed track.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Now the 313s are gone the Spinnaker is an old joke. So is the Peckham Rye one - 2007 - I have no idea what the station looks like now, although I believe it has had a major overhaul with a former rather large waiting room reinstated and the horrific external graffiti removed

Inconspicuous on Peckham Rye Station.jpg

It's good to get to Pompey.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

Got plenty of them at home! Easier to read than on a screen, and I find the idea of lots of electronics to replace something simple and straightforward and low-tech that works well and has done so for years rather absurd.

A phone that I got some years back had Kindle on it (or I downloaded it)  and the one free book download that I started with was MOBY DICK ; I started reading it on the bus going to work and got a couple of chapters in to it. Then I got a hardbound version and the Kindle was forgotten.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a typo.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Also gives you something to do, when there is a power outage! I had one for 22 1/2 hours last month.

After a nice lady named Wilma visited my area in south Florida, I had one for almost three weeks. I left on a pre-planned trip north after about two weeks or so and when I got back a few days later, the power was back on. That started me thinking about a standby generator but I had a hard time convincing myself as all that I really lost was around $100.00 worth of perishables. My neighbor had one and would charge up my ups so I had the computer, a small led (or cfl) lamp and a fan. I would leave the ups on his front porch in the morning when I left for work and pick it up when I got back. I do have a whole-house (16KW) one here as I have a well and definitely need heat in the winter.

EDIT: NO MORE COLD SHOWERS!!!!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

We had to watch TV by candlelight when I was a kid....

So did we, a 12v battery powered telly from the caravan, making toast on the open fire in the sitting room, but we used an Aladdin paraffin lamp with an incandescent mantle rather than candles.....

Those powercuts in the early 70s weren't that bad!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, proton said:

Books on a shelf??  What's all that about??

Daft idea, shelves are for layouts, books would get in the way.  Besides, books are far too useful as blocks to hold things (including layout shelves) up, level tables, keep sash windows from closing completely, weight things down, and, in extemis, are good fuel for your Aga.  Cheap, too; there's bookshops in Hay-on-Wye where you can buy them by the metre...

As technology has progressed, so has The Johnster but not quite at the same pace.  I do, however, have several books now in electronic form only, downloaded to iPhone, and find this a perfectly natural way of reading them.  I have the John Hodges/Stuart Davies 2-volume 'Tondu Valleys', a vital reference that I refer to very frequently, in this form, and find it's portability useful.  For long reading sessions, which tend to occur with good fiction, I prefer them in analogue form, as it is easier on the eyes if you are in for a hour or more reading session.  Magnifiers for smartphones are cheap, though, and worth a try...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Depends on what sort of books you are talking about.

Good luck with Midland Wagons Volume Two on any device or as an audiobook!

An audiobook recitation of the lot list appendix would be just the thing to get one off to sleep.

• Agree 4