The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RIP Mel Smith -Comedy Legend

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Can't believe we've lost a great man of British comedy at a young age.Only last night I was watching a rerun of Not The Nine O'clock News.A fabulous series.Him and Griff's Alas Smith & Jones head to head skits were magnificent and very funny.A great bloke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23390982

What a shock. One also asks why dear BBCis spending more air time on Frankie Boyle's diet than covering this event in which a much more popular and respected performer has left us. NTNON and Alas Smith and Jones were clever humour, not constructed from the abusive arrogant style more common today.

• RMweb Premium

I've just seen this news on the BBC website. Something of a shock, bearing in mind he was only sixty. I remember being in my teens with NTNON and Alas Smith and Jones as the comedy follow on from The Two Ronnies and Morecambe and Wise of my childhood. They were quite different in style, but still outrageously funny in a way only we Brits seem to nail down quite so well.

RIP Mel.

• RMweb Premium

Alas - Mel Smith

Well that came as a shock when I was driving home and the five o'clock news announced this - didn't hear about it in work, even though there's a news ticker tape on an RSS feed on the information screens - shows how often I look at it!

Sad news indeed, and my first reaction was that this was a great loss, and my second that he was younger than me - which made me think a lot.

You gave me pleasure Mel - though I sometimes had to think about the humour, but in the end, I always "got it" - RIP, and please join the great comedy act in the Sky where Eric, Tommy, and many others are waiting to stand aside to let you in to add your contribution.

• RMweb Gold

very sad news

i've been watching the reruns of NTNON on gold (i was too young to watch them first time round!) and there were some great "cut away" sketches involving railway news footage such as people on the "vomit comet" aircraft being thrown around only to cut to the APT rounding some reverse curves on the WCML

another one was griff rees jones as a school govener asking a child what he wanted to do when he grew up....

"well i want to sit around all day, drinking and smoking, playing cards, reading the paper and get away with doing as little work for as much money as possible"

"ah yes.... i wanted to be a train driver when i was your age too"

I'm having difficulty getting this one out of my head.

"I live on the 14th floor

Of a tower block
And when I get bored
I call coo-ee to the passersby 
And when they look up 
I gob in their eye

Gob on you....etc"

And all the other brilliant musical parodies from NTNON.

Sad news but a marvellous legacy.

• RMweb Gold

This is a great gag, but its the look on Mel's face at the end that kills me every time:

RIP

("He bloody does eat daffodils!" ;) )

One of the best - brilliant!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

It's probably a bit lost on today's generation as the names involved in the politics have changed, though the politics themselves haven't.  I always thought the Ayatollah song was inspired, and in the traditions of the best loved bits of TW3

Yet another great talent taken away too soon.

Please don't think this link as inappropriate, it's one of my favourite sketchs and to me it shows Mel at his best in a number of ways for example the expression on his face when his foot gives way under him is simply brilliant.

Archived