Pre Grouping layouts

The name came from a card factory kit in the Alfagrafix range. Then someone pointed out that it was the company in Carry on at Your Convenience. The layout it 6ft by 18inch in total, including the fiddle yard. The track is peco set track, never again but that is a different story. 

So far it has got to my local shows an GuildEx this year. I have nothing in the diary for next year so if anyone wants it for their show it can be available. Everything fits in the back of my car and there is only one operator.

Ma

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MarcD said:

The name came from a card factory kit in the Alfagrafix range. Then someone pointed out that it was the company in Carry on at Your Convenience. The layout it 6ft by 18inch in total, including the fiddle yard. The track is peco set track, never again but that is a different story. 

So far it has got to my local shows an GuildEx this year. I have nothing in the diary for next year so if anyone wants it for their show it can be available. Everything fits in the back of my car and there is only one operator.

Ma

Remarkably, I have never made a study of the vitreous china industry, but I did wonder if "toiletware" was prototypical nomenclature. For some reason the description "sanitary ware" comes to mind. I wonder if that is a modernism, however. I'd love to know what the Victorians called it.

Meanwhile, a character from the wrong film comes also to mind ....

image.png.fc95ffe3015636a1427c4e59abd3b1a6.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Remarkably, I have never made a study of the vitreous china industry, but I did wonder if "toiletware" was prototypical nomenclature. For some reason the description "sanitary ware" comes to mind. I wonder if that is a modernism, however. I'd love to know what the Victorians called it.

This wikipedia article suggests that Armitage Ware was described as 'sanitary pottery manufacture', which has a rather pleasant Edwardian ring.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

A search of Grace's Guide on the word "toilet" turns up manufacturers of toiletries - soaps, etc - and toilet paper.

A search on "toiletware" turns up a single entry, Adie Brothers, of Atlas Works, Soho Hill, Birmingham. They were a silverware manufacturer; in this context "toiletware" appears to mean articles to put one's toiletries in or on - soapdishes etc.

Searching on "sanitary ware" does turn up manufacturers of the requisite items, though they tend not to be explicit in the company name. 

I am reminded of Chad Newsome, in Henry James' The Ambassadors (1903), whose fortune is founded on the manufacture of "little nameless objects" in Woollett, Mass.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 29/11/2022 at 17:05, Compound2632 said:

A search of Grace's Guide on the word "toilet" turns up manufacturers of toiletries - soaps, etc - and toilet paper.

A search on "toiletware" turns up a single entry, Adie Brothers, of Atlas Works, Soho Hill, Birmingham. They were a silverware manufacturer; in this context "toiletware" appears to mean articles to put one's toiletries in or on - soapdishes etc.

That makes perfect sense given the proper meaning of "toilet"

Otherwise, there is a whole genre of painting* that makes no sense given the absence of sanitary ware. 

image.png.3c8466197954528378ecd29e5acaad7c.png

On 29/11/2022 at 17:05, Compound2632 said:

Searching on "sanitary ware" does turn up manufacturers of the requisite items, though they tend not to be explicit in the company name. 

I am reminded of Chad Newsome, in Henry James' The Ambassadors (1903), whose fortune is founded on the manufacture of "little nameless objects" in Woollett, Mass.

Which in turn reminds me of that other great ambiguity of fiction, Nicodemus Boffin's "dust" heaps in Our Mutual Friend. Although I don't think "dust" did include night soil, it seems inescapable that Dickens's Golden Dustman was the inspiration for Pratchett's Harry King, the King of the Golden River. 

* Warning - Male Gaze - Warning!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

* Warning - Male Gaze - Warning!

Well, I don't know about that - Venus is the one with the mirror.

It's the chaps in the fountain I worry about.

I note that you didn't go for Velazquez's version...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It has an unfortunate association with the Rokeby and Mortham estates; whose egregious managing agent is a blight upon the tenantry and a poor use of oxygen.

Besides, I fear pursuit by a knife-wielding Suffragette. Funny how the BBC and the rest of the liberal media (with which I generally align) have air-brushed out the Suffragists (who did much effective good) in favour of seeking to justify the violence of the Suffragettes, (who arguably did far more harm than good).

I feel that the progressive agenda loses much of its moral high ground when its proponents selectively decide that the ends justify the means. 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Which in turn reminds me of that other great ambiguity of fiction, Nicodemus Boffin's "dust" heaps in Our Mutual Friend. Although I don't think "dust" did include night soil, it seems inescapable that Dickens's Golden Dustman was the inspiration for Pratchett's Harry King, the King of the Golden River 

Which I suppose brings us to the question of the Flying Dustman, which Pugwash apart was an actual thing 150 years ago or thereabouts.  Flying dustmen would go round emptying dustbins ahead of the contractor employed by the Parish Vestry, sort through for anything of value and fly-tip the rest.  Some were frequent attenders at magistrates courts, but fines were relatively small compared with the potential profits....

• Informative/Useful 3

10 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Which I suppose brings us to the question of the Flying Dustman, which Pugwash apart was an actual thing 150 years ago or thereabouts.  Flying dustmen would go round emptying dustbins ahead of the contractor employed by the Parish Vestry, sort through for anything of value and fly-tip the rest.  Some were frequent attenders at magistrates courts, but fines were relatively small compared with the potential profits....

That's very interesting.

Although I have read critics who wondered if Dickens's "dust" was a euphemism for something more scatological, from what I've read, the dust was, essentially, just that, dust comprised mainly of cinders. 

image.png.f3ede72e9cc5134f420822039adfa89e.png

From my experience of both household fires and stoves, and solid-fuel boilers, I can attest to the great volume of ash that can be produced in a domestic setting, and I can well see how hundreds of thousands of domestic London hearths could easily produce the vasts heaps of cinders found in places like Paddington and King's Cross.

All sorts of valuable detritus could be, and was, scavenged from the heaps. We see this in Our Mutual Friend and, though I had not before heard of Flying Dustmen, it makes sense that some would operate to intercept this resource before it was collected.

This would not affect our Golden Dustman and his ilk, however, because the true value of the heaps was in the bulk sale of cinders to recycle into bricks.  I understand that Moscow, after its wooden housing had been burnt down to spite Napoleon, was rebuilt with bricks made from London dust heaps.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, I don't know about that - Venus is the one with the mirror.

It's the chaps in the fountain I worry about.

Stick with the Duane Bryers version:

38229D65-EC30-4A79-BFE5-48E3F6EBE486.png.4997addf4f111ed58910678c1f5218e4.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The thing about these emojis is that it is left to the reader's imagination in just what way one finds a thing "Interesting/Thought Provoking", or indeed, what thoughts might be provoked.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 5

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I wonder what the evidence is for white carriage roofs?

All part of the endless Edwardian summer image. 

It's no wonder the S&D was all but bankrupt - not enough muck to make any brass....

Edited by billbedford
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...

A couple of the pre-group layouts at Model Rail today.

Copper Wort

DSC_1918.JPG.483ce3c9d9f8f4f9fde998c869d9b7f2.JPG

The star, for me anyway, and not just because i know several of those involved in it, Burntisland 1884DSC_1921.JPG.839ae7ddc6200232e98eb46fb55df03b.JPGDSC_1922.JPG.06e3344aab5f90584bb1453ef6b60954.JPG

DSC_1923.JPG.288329d3ce75959bc8411fd1d7acb467.JPG

I will try to get some more tomorrow.

Jim

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

A couple of the pre-group layouts at Model Rail today.

Copper Wort

A definite firm favourite due to a member of the creator group I belong to making a digital version of Copper Wort for the Trainz simulator.  The actual layout itself is pretty darn impressive though even if I've only ever seen it in photographs.

1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

The star, for me anyway, and not just because i know several of those involved in it, Burntisland 1884

Now that is impressive.  Not wanting to take anything away from the layout as a whole, but it was the the paddle steamer train ferry that immediately caught my interest.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Annie said:

Now that is impressive.  Not wanting to take anything away from the layout as a whole, but it was the the paddle steamer train ferry that immediately caught my interest.

wagons can be shunted on and off the train ferry and the ramp can be raised and lowered.  It started as an entry (the winning one BTW) to the S4 Societies challenge a number of years ago to build a layout in 18.84 sq. ft. and since then, like Topsy, it has growed!

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

wagons can be shunted on and off the train ferry and the ramp can be raised and lowered.  It started as an entry (the winning one BTW) to the S4 Societies challenge a number of years ago to build a layout in 18.84 sq. ft. and since then, like Topsy, it has growed!

The latest addition last time I saw it was the roundhouse with CCTV and the injunction to look at the screen when there was movement inside.

Also the observation I made to one of the front-of-layout explicators (another brilliant feature) that no two of the NBR locos were the same colour. (I've since discovered the person I was speaking to is another Caledonian-enthusiast Jim.)

• Like 3