Pre Grouping layouts

We were in Derby recently and visited the Museum of Making (used to be the Silk Mill).  A couple of photos of the Kirtley Junction layout, 0 gauge, showing Midland Railway practice of the early 20th century.  Evidently some work to finish reinstating it (no signals yet, for example) but it should be very impressive.

P1020454.JPG

P1020458.JPG

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

We were in Derby recently and visited the Museum of Making (used to be the Silk Mill).  A couple of photos of the Kirtley Junction layout, 0 gauge, showing Midland Railway practice of the early 20th century.  Evidently some work to finish reinstating it (no signals yet, for example) but it should be very impressive.

Trains run at 11am and 2pm every day the Museum of Making is open. On the weekday occasions I've been there at those times (in the Midland Railway Study Centre next door) there has been a good crowd of onlookers - mostly families with children.

Great progress has been made by the team of volunteers working on the railway but much remains to be done. In particular, stock has to be taken of the stock! At the moment, trains are not yet run in historically-informed formations.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Trains run at 11am and 2pm every day the Museum of Making is open. On the weekday occasions I've been there at those times (in the Midland Railway Study Centre next door) there has been a good crowd of onlookers - mostly families with children.

Great progress has been made by the team of volunteers working on the railway but much remains to be done. In particular, stock has to be taken of the stock! At the moment, trains are not yet run in historically-informed formations.  

Thanks - when we are that way again we'll try to see the layout in operation - 4pm to 5pm Wednesday was the only time we were able to go there on this visit.  I should say I was also impressed by the view of the Study Centre through the glass door. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2022 at 14:31, Tom Burnham said:

What an absolutely magical and appropriate building to have a lovely big O Gauge model railway in. I need to visit.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Having missed pretty much every post lock-down show so far (I will be at Shildon on 8 or 9 October), I've enjoyed catching up on the 2022 season via Youtube.  This is best done, I find, with the sound off; there is a lot of background 'hum' and overheard conversations are often loud, jarring and lacking in erudition!

One of the stand out layouts, new to me, was Woodcroft, GNR in EM by the Market Deeping club.  I hope I shall catch up with it somewhere. 

image.png.66c42e5041ca89506c0b63ce356b0129.png

image.png.f95ea6fda21e63e57782dc1f59c02389.png

image.png.c502a218979827c3cd77187e8b07de7c.png

Good old BRM has done a video:

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Hadn't realised the GN went in for a grey livery for locos.

It was used during The Great War as an economy measure, IIRC it was just grey undercoat with a varnish layer over. 

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Tom Burnham said:

Very nice. The white brick of the station building seems very typical of the Eastern Counties (GN and GE). Hadn't realised the GN went in for a grey livery for locos.

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

It was used during The Great War as an economy measure, IIRC it was just grey undercoat with a varnish layer over. 

The grey undercoat option is also what the GER went for in 1915, but the wonderful thing about the GNR is they went back to the full green livery after the War. 

• Like 5

On 02/09/2022 at 22:45, Edwardian said:

they went back to the full green livery after the War. 

Not entirely, I believe - the slippery slope of black for goods engines came in around that time as well.

The GE, incidentally, must have bought up the Royal Navy's entire stock of grey as they were still putting goods locos out in that colour until at least 1927.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Not entirely, I believe - the slippery slope of black for goods engines came in around that time as well.

The GE, incidentally, must have bought up the Royal Navy's entire stock of grey as they were still putting goods locos out in that colour until at least 1927.

Stratford  seems to have done all manner of things post Grouping to ensure that its views about no longer being a locomotive building facility were known!

• Like 4

On 04/09/2022 at 15:32, Edwardian said:

Another one I should like to see, Modbury (1906), 2FS:

image.png.29f50390c6f19254422281b9e2bb600a.png

image.png.8d1570f1a13ff43b816bddf4102394d4.png

image.png.0cdaec9cd03886b9928edb381656d60e.png

Edwardian, et al,

Modbury’s next outing is to the Farnham and district exhibition in Aldershot on 8/9th October.  Next year the only exhibition I currently have booked is RailEx in Aylesbury (although I have just been invited to Portsmouth sometime in November)

Ian

• Like 3

Just now, Ian Smith said:

Edwardian, et al,

Modbury’s next outing is to the Farnham and district exhibition in Aldershot on 8/9th October.  Next year the only exhibition I currently have booked is RailEx in Aylesbury (although I have just been invited to Portsmouth sometime in November)

Ian

Thank you, though both too far southward for me. Can we tempt Modbury to come to Darlington for September 2024?

8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Thank you, though both too far southward for me. Can we tempt Modbury to come to Darlington for September 2024?

Edwardian,
Just checked, Darlington is about 160 miles from me (so similar to Portsmouth).  I would have to discuss with my usual operators to see if they would be interested.

If you can PM me some details (exhibition organiser, dates, etc), I’ll get in touch.

Ian

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

Edwardian,
Just checked, Darlington is about 160 miles from me (so similar to Portsmouth).  I would have to discuss with my usual operators to see if they would be interested.

If you can PM me some details (exhibition organiser, dates, etc), I’ll get in touch.

Ian

Thank, I will, it's to be a big 3-day show to celebrate the re-opening of the North Road museum. do, if exhibiting at a Stockton and Darlington station appeals .... 

• Like 1

I have been neglecting my local club, so much so that I'd forgotten it's our exhibition in Darlington  on 1st-2nd October. 

Turns out that there are some excellent layouts booked including Oakhurst Town, the 7mm SER layout. 

image.png.d6c27c6bf0bf70b37fddcfc77a018d5d.png

Huzzah!

• Like 15

On 02/09/2022 at 22:45, Edwardian said:

The grey undercoat option is also what the GER went for in 1915, but the wonderful thing about the GNR is they went back to the full green livery after the War. 

I think The formula was  coat of white lead primer stopped down twice then a coat of white lead with added black oil as top coat.probably varnished . looking at photographs of GE locos it looked anything from almost white to battleship grey ,some locos looked as though they were buffed whitemetal. the train code numbers were yellow and quite large. the black oil was added in drops! the number does not appear to be specific and I dont know if that meant it was black oil paint or black oil ie old oil.( when I worked in a steel mill yonks ago old used oil was called black oil and was supposed to be chucked)

Edited by robert17649
addition
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...