Pre Grouping layouts

Some video from Model Rail Scotland yesterday.

More Copper Wort

Breweries seem to be popular. This is North Cornwall Brewery.

Some more Burntisland

The roundhouse

Jim

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 2

• 1 month later...

Lovely to chat to you @Edwardian(too briefly) yesterday.  I really enjoyed Kettlewell, it was my third look at the layout when we met.  Probably not quite enough D299s but a good attempt.  The layout really looked fun to operate too and the owner has it erected at home, lucky begger.

The modelling was first class but I found the running on Bridgwater too slow, it's satisfying to have locos that perform well, but they are allowed to exceed walking pace even (or especially) while shunting.

Alan

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Buhar said:

Lovely to chat to you @Edwardian(too briefly) yesterday.  I really enjoyed Kettlewell, it was my third look at the layout when we met.  Probably not quite enough D299s but a good attempt.  The layout really looked fun to operate too and the owner has it erected at home, lucky begger.

The modelling was first class but I found the running on Bridgwater too slow, it's satisfying to have locos that perform well, but they are allowed to exceed walking pace even (or especially) while shunting.

Alan

Likewise, Alan.

We found ourselves both enjoying the layout, each thinking of Brother Compound, and then recognition dawned. Not since a similar moment before Hills of the North in Hartlepool (in 2019 I think you said) had we bumped into one another. It was a pleasure to do so again.

I hope you had a good time. I just did the afternoon, but it was enough. The last York show took me two full days. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We'll be bringing Kettlewell down to Stafford this weekend, operating entirely in Midland mode for the weekend. It's a lovely layout to operate, superbly engineered (and fully interlocked!) by John Stocks and sceniced mainly by his wife, Linda.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I was about to post a note about this video, but I see that @Schooner got there before me.  The video was taken last September, when we took the Pulborough (LBSCR 1912) layout to display in the village of Pulborough during the annual Heritage Weekend.  During the weekend Barry Luck took enough video content for 3 or 4 videos, so watch out for more content in due course.  All the locos and stock were built by Barry or his son over the course of the last 40 years or so.

During the weekend, we decided that the layout (and its operators) are getting too old and the layout requires to much work before each outing to make it viable to keep the layout in good operating condition; also, storage of the layout had become a problem.  Thus, the decision was taken to withdraw the layout from the exhibition circuit.  It was fitting that the last outing for the layout was in the village on which it is based - it is an exact scale model of the station as it was in the 1912 period.  This was not a usual model railway exhibition and there was much interest from the local public about how their station area looked around 100 years ago and the way the railways operated in that era.

During the course of the weekend we offered the layout to the Pulborough Society (without any stock or the controls) and they accepted it.  I do not know how or whether they intend to display the layout in the future.

Mick

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Apologies if this has been posted already

I've seen videos of Crook Street before but the NER element and the big warehouses are new to me. It really oozes atmosphere!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Apologies if this has been posted already, but the Utube Algae-Rhythm just chucked this one at me:

That is the best railway modelling I've seen in a long while in any scale, with a rare combination of accuracy, precision and above all atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Those Premier Line enginemen will be getting ideas about having locos with proper cabs!

The Worsdell brothers came from a LNWR family and both trained at Crewe, so the knew what conditions were like on a Ramsbottom / Webb engine, but they both spent time at Altoona where they made the discovery that life didn't have to be lived like that.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1