Dave Jones leaving Dapol in August

oreamnos

• RMweb Gold

Oh. I assumed that they were re-forming The Monkees with guys of the same names......

Best, Pete.

Or Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch. Titch would be the lady from the T gauge stand, Dave would be Dave and Dozy would be anyone from the Hornby management team!

So sorry to hear the news. You certainly set the benchmark on how to deal with model railway enthusiasts in the modern age. Others profess to do so and have snazzy Facebook pages, but give little away!

Good luck Dave in whatever you do.

Ps I really do think Hornby would be well advised to take on a person of your calibre, what with your dealings in sub contracting to Asian manufacturers. They certainly need someone that can open up new lines of production for them. Critical at the moment I would have thought! Not even mentioning your excellent relationship with your market

Hi Legend, Colin et al.

Interesting comments in your 'PS'.

It seems to me that Hornby/Corgi/Airfix had taken their collective (strategic) eye off of the ball when getting involved in the Olympic products (most of those sorts of products end up, after a week or two, in the end of aisle bargain bins) - no criticsm on my part, just an observation. I have great respect for Hornby, yet rather like VAG (when they took on additional companies 20 odd years ago) sometimes, in this modern, day and age, a small management team, can easily bite off more than it can chew, this then brings other forces to bear and takes a long time to recover from!

Dave's job remit seems/seemed to cover several remits/professional disciplines (which often happens with the likes of eg. retail buyers) and professional supply chain manangement, strategic procurement management, tendering/contracting and contract management falls under the remit of eg. a professional supply-chain manager, and/or negotiator/buyer and/or contracts manager (when contract has been 'let'). In addition there is then the issue of design/product development, manufacturing, packaging, customer service et al/ad infinitum.....Seems like Dapol want there money's worth! It also seems to me, as if Hornby, Dapol, et al. need a professional who can negotiate and secure - and then possibly manage - water-tight contracts with overseas suppliers/contractors, contracts which have very robust T&C's (including confidentiality clauses et al.) and that are strategically aligned with their businesses/business needs.

Of course if Dapol want/need someone who can do all of the above, to the highest professional standards, they probably need a guy in a tight blue outfit, with red pants (which are worn outside of the said tight blue outfit) a red cape and a big 'S' emblazened across the front of the aforementioned tight blue outfit!

CME

• RMweb Gold

Don't know how I missed this until now!

Just have to echo the posts above - thanks Dave, and good luck on whatever future career pathway you may choose.

On a selfish note could you make sure Dapol are going to follow up with the headcode boxes fitted as built Class 22 variant before you leave please?

All the best and thanks again

Phil

Of course if Dapol want/need someone who can do all of the above, to the highest professional standards, they probably need a guy in a tight blue outfit, with red pants (which are worn outside of the said tight blue outfit) a red cape and a big 'S' emblazened across the front of the aforementioned tight blue outfit!

CME

I gave this some thought before sending in my application. The only bit I could practice with at the moment are the underpants worn outside the trousers. Tried them on and looked in the mirror. I won't be applying.

• RMweb Gold

The problem is that they are trying to combine some very different skill sets and they will inevitably get someone who is stronger in one area than others. I see it a lot in Local Government where they try to get somebody to be a jack of all trades to save on recruitment. Dapol would be better to get a really good product person and buy in external skills for negotiating contracts as and when, IMHO

The problem is that they are trying to combine some very different skill sets and they will inevitably get someone who is stronger in one area than others. I see it a lot in Local Government where they try to get somebody to be a jack of all trades to save on recruitment. Dapol would be better to get a really good product person and buy in external skills for negotiating contracts as and when, IMHO

Hi Colin,

True, yet it does depend upon, IMHO, where one has gained experience and how/where one was educated etc...in other words such is possible (but would Dapol pay for such a person?).

Sadly, in my experience, LGA's dont always listen to what they are being told, even when they buy in such consultancy services (very often even if a consultant does a good job of work they can - still - often be used as a scapgoat when they have left the organisation).

In terms of procurement/supply chain management (note the word 'procurement' and not just 'buyer' or 'shopper') a consultant maybe helpful - yet it needs to be someone who knows how to get the job done as, in my experience, lawyers do not write good - functional/working - contracts (perhaps they write such poor/overly complex contracts with an eye to making more money if such just happens to - whoops - fail)...

Kind regards,

CME

• RMweb Premium

Am I the only one glad to see Dave leaving Dapol :clapping: ......I can get on with my scratchbuilding without fear that next week Dapol will announce a RTR model of what is on my work bench and make mine look silly. :notme:

Thankfully some of their competitors don't have a Dave and my stuff looks Ok compared to theirs. :unsure:

Am I the only one glad to see Dave leaving Dapol :clapping: ......I can get on with my scratchbuilding without fear that next week Dapol will announce a RTR model of what is on my work bench and make mine look silly. :notme:

Thankfully some of their competitors don't have a Dave and my stuff looks Ok compared to theirs. :unsure:

It's an ill wind then Clive ! :jester:

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Somehow, I doubt if many narrow gauge - or tram - enthusiasts are expecting Dapol (or anyone else, for that matter) to produce RTR versions of what's on their workbenches.

I suspect that many of them would love to be proved wrong, though.

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

its Heljan I fear most, having kit  built a 14, 15, 17 and 28, this progression guarentees an 02 and 07 next

I sort of agree about Heljan if they would get the shape right....with my dodgy eyes I cannot see from 3 foot all that fine detail they put on but I can see the lip between the cab and the electric cabinet (short bonnet) on a BTH, the design clever handrail and thick roof on the Clayton, the odd shape of the baby Deltic, not going to mention the tubby duff, the cab front on Falcon, and DP2 don't know where to start is just not right. I don't have a 14, 28 or 52 to comment on. I do like the Hymek and their Lion looks a lot better than mine. 

Kestrel is out of period for my modelling, that is why this one went to the scrap yard following being damaged, and I have not brought a RTR replacement.

post-16423-0-02419000-1375743238.png

second scratchbuilt loco circa 1982

A real kestrel looks like this

post-16423-0-77497600-1375743371_thumb.jpg

As for their planned 05, I have built two the ER/LMR small cab version and a NER big cab version. They keep showing photos of one type and announce they are doing the other  :scratchhead:

Kestrel is out of period for my modelling, that is why this one went to the scrap yard following being damaged, and I have not brought a RTR replacement.

attachicon.gifhs 4000.png

second scratchbuilt loco circa 1982

A real kestrel looks like this

attachicon.gif027a.jpg

Is that one of them mythical Russian Kestrels?  :mosking:

Take up N gauge or 3mm pre-grouping - you'll be fairly safe then

• RMweb Gold

Or Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch. Titch would be the lady from the T gauge stand, Dave would be Dave and Dozy would be anyone from the Hornby management team!

As an aside Mick Wilson became a driving instructor and taught me to drive. There are plenty of options for Dave after Dapol

• RMweb Gold

I was down the pub the other day and the locals were chatting about notDapolDave's next move - I was reliably informed that he'd be joining the BRM/RMweb team and working with Andy. The idea being that BRM move more into 'special' model market. First on the list will be a 4mm Adam's Radial tank and second a limited edition airsmoothed Bulleid light pacific in 7mm. That's what the blokes in the pub thought anyway. Sounds good to me.

Which pub? Sounds like they sell excellent ale......

John

Archived