Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

Hi guys,

I haven't yet started the 12 ton van or brake van, as some much needed research needs to be done, especially the detail of the under frame :read:

So as a side project I've decided to take inspiration from Loxborough's brilliant thread, especially his Dapol 9 plank wagon, which inspired me to have a go as well but with a different wagon.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68508-coal-empties-for-the-ecml/page-6

The Dapol 5 plank open wagon.

This is what I have done so far today,

post-19436-0-72504900-1383494217_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-29629900-1383494224_thumb.jpg

It may look really messy, but all that will disappear later on.

I really should have used brass, but I haven't got any, so I made do with plasticard.

So please feel free to comment, ask questions, constructive criticism, etc....

Thanks

Nelson

Edited by Nelson Jackson
  • Like 7

Many thanks for your kind comments guys, i really do appreciate it.

Here is how it currently stands, I've added rust to the inside metal work and I've also decided that the wagon won't carry a load (to nice to cover up).

post-19436-0-75548500-1384460145_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-18638000-1384460151_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the lighting, just took the photos there now.

• Like 5

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, I really do appreciate it, many thanks.

So far I have weathered one side of the wagon and it's going well, so now I will crack on with the other 3 sides, and photos shall be posted tonight.

Edit: it's taking longer than i thought, photos will posted tomorrow, sorry.

Edited by Nelson Jackson

Ok ok, it has taken 2 days, but we are finally here, the wagon is near complete, I think it is complete?

So here she is,

post-19436-0-66844800-1384807160.jpg

post-19436-0-78526600-1384807167.jpg

What do we think?

Edit: better pics will be taken tomorrow.

Edit edit: it's too dark to take any photos today, (sorry) but I will definitely take some as soon as possible.

Edited by Nelson Jackson
  • Like 5

Hi all,

Just reading back over this thread, and the support form all you guys is just fantastic, makes me want to crack on with another model.

I really do appreciate it, so thank you to all who have commented.

Whilst I was reading over this thread, it seemed to be quite "messy" so I've tided it up by, deleting some posts, adding new pics in etc....

I must admit, I don't do everything exactly in order, so I'm sorry if I start work on something completely different, at least It keeps me occupied.

Materials are low and with exams coming up, things will slow a lot down. But don't worry after Christmas when I get the money, I'll buy new materials and things, and work will start to pick up again.

The 70 class won't be started for a while now, to he honest I'm nervous of mucking it up big time, so that will have to wait.

But the GNRI van has been repaired and it's looking good along with its new buffer.

Once again I'm sorry for all the confusion.

Many thanks

Nelson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Tom and Matt Thank you for your kind words.

For the underframe it is a Dapol 10 ft wheelbase underframe that you can pick up from Hattons.

http://www.ehattons.com/36655/Dapol_Wchass10_10_foot_wagon_chassis/StockDetail.aspx

It comes with metal wheels, metal buffer heads and NEM couplings.

Cheers

Edited by Nelson Jackson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...