Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately the NCC van has been put on hold because I haven't got the right parts to complete it such as roof vents and plastruct etc... but I'll see if I can buy any at model rail Scotland.

So in the meantime I've started this cambrian LMS 5 plank wagon, so far I've painted the inside, and here's how it's looking so far.

post-19436-0-79796800-1391261114_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Nelson

• Like 7

Hi everyone,

Today I've finally made progress with the wagon and here's how it's looking. I would have done it sooner but exams are holding me back at the moment.

I've added brass bearings to the inside of the axle boxes, Dapol 12mm metal wheels and the buffer height is perfect alongside other wagons.

When adding the solebars an headstocks, there was a tiny gap at one end where the solebar and headstock meet, so I've filled that in with plasticard and I'll file it down.

post-19436-0-95537000-1391879366.jpg

post-19436-0-67670600-1391879847.jpg

Thanks

Nelson

• Like 8

Hi everyone

Today saw the rest of the Underframe being put together and the body added and here's how it looks,

The interior planks need touched up tomorrow with grey/black paint to get rid of the plastic showing through at the joins and the body along with Underframe will also be painted tomorrow, I though the kit would have come with a coupling hook for either end, but it doesn't look like the kit provides one so I'll have to make my own out of plasticard.

post-19436-0-16910100-1391970896.jpg

post-19436-0-45657900-1391970905.jpg

Thanks

Nelson

• Like 7

Thank you Matt and Tom.

Matt my wagon compared to others is nothing, other fellow members here have made wagons to standards that I can only dream of and I try my best to aim for.

Don't put yourself down! Remember, you recently got talent spotted! :)

Hello everyone,

The wagon is nearly complete, I've painted the inside metal frames with a rust colour and added a small amount of Humbrol smoke weathering powder to represent coal dust, paint was also added at the corners and joins to represent the build up of grime that these wagons had.

The outside body and Underframe has also been painted the body with railmatch LMS freight grey which is a very nice colour but required 2 coats and the Underframe painted in the standard Humbrol enamel Matt black.

Next to do on it is to fit couplings, add transfers then give it a light weathering.

post-19436-0-33248300-1392494131.jpg

post-19436-0-21199900-1392494146.jpg

I've also started work on another wagon which is another Cambrian kit and it is of a hurst Nelson private owner wagon and I've chosen the rounded ends to add variety when it's in a rake of other wagons.

post-19436-0-90749700-1392494138.jpg

I've just started the planks (note the floor isn't finished yet, it needs some more work to it)

Thank you for reading and I do apologise for the mess in the background of the pics.

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 5