Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

I found this and thought it may inspire you with the 70 class

.http://www.geograph.ie/photo/3600866

Pic is belong to a gent known as the Turf Burner.

I would love to have a go at the Sealink livery (I've found the transfers and all for it) but I don't know, it would really stand out and look great. Do you have any idea for the colours of paint I need, for this livery?

• 2 weeks later...

Is that GNRI, then? It doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with.

Yes that's right, it's a GNRI brake van, they were fairly popular here in Northern Ireland, used up north and down south.

Here's the link to the brake van, which you can buy,

http://www.provincialwagons.com/2.html

And there is one still in preservation today,

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/carriages/81.html

hi guys,

sorry for not posting any updates its just because i havn't have the the time to do any thing yet. and we were busying with our new model, a 7 1/4 gauge Bridget loco.

hope you enjoy the vid along with other club member locos, thanks

now that, that is over and done with, i ordered a fair bit from hattons to start work on my NCC brake van very soon.

many thanks

Nelson

• Like 6

Hi,

My brother (aged 11) has decided that he wants to model the original Thomas the tank engine and friends, so he bought the Hornby Annie and clarabel, but wasn't happy with the colour and asked me to re paint them, so as a brother I painted the coaches for him. They still need some weathering, but that will be done at a later date.

First job was to convert clarabel into a brake coach, just like the original Thomas series. This was done with humbrol model filler and a lot of sanding, but it looks well, and my brothers very happy with it.

post-19436-0-04866400-1381570768_thumb.jpg

The filler before sanding, and if your wondering why the windows have a purple tinge, it's just the humbrol maskol to cover the windows when painting.

Both coaches received a medium brown shade and the fantastic Phoenix precision paint LMS coach roof grey, all hand painted and look alright.

post-19436-0-99053000-1381570907_thumb.jpg

Here's the finished Annie coach.

post-19436-0-49020300-1381570959_thumb.jpg

And here's the finished clarabell brake coach.

Another job which my brother wanted me to do was paint the letters NW (north western) onto an oil tanker, and this was also hand painted with a steady hand. Trust me the letters aren't slanted, it's the way the photo was taken, weathering on the tanker was of my brothers work (looks good).

post-19436-0-82582900-1381570485_thumb.jpg

So I hope you enjoyed this different update and if you have any questions then Please feel to ask.

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 9

Many years ago (just predating the Hornby release) I did a quick and dirty Thomas, Annie and Clarabel in P4 for a Chatham Dockyard Exhibition.

The coaches were built using the Hornby short coaches, however I obtained a spare coach and spliced an extra compartment in. Milliput formed a nose. New roof and torpedo vents, and wagon W-Irons completed the vehicles.

One of my fondest memories of the hobby were hiding Thomas, Annie and Clarabel in a tunnel, playing the theme song and bringing the train into view. Kids swarmed to the layout in their droves which was great fun to see. Thomas was a shortened Hornby E2 body, scratchbuilt chassis and Milliput face. One year Thomas was entered in the Scalefour Society's Deputy Chairman's Cup, much to the disgust of the more staid members of the Society. Nearly won too, which would never have done ;-) 

post-3717-0-58307200-1381663673_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-89491600-1381663692_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow friends,

As Halloween approaches, school is off for 1 week (yay) which means I can get down to do some serious modelling. What I'm hoping to do, is to start work on a LMS NCC 12ton van. A very unique van.

But as with every model, re search is key, to get as accurate as can be.

post-19436-0-54789200-1382731901_thumb.jpg

I look through books and websites along with photos to see if I can get any info or pictures on the prototype. I was lucky to find some plans online, which I will be working from.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/content.php/244-NCC-12-Ton-Van-Drawings

An order will be placed for more plasticard and some roof ventilators for the van in due course.

Thanks

Nelson

• Like 1