Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Now that the LNER 6 plank wagon is complete I've now started a new project and this time I'm going all out giving it my best, it's going to be a model of the 10ton van that the NCC had, the unique feature about these vans is that they have outside framed W irons, which stand out so this aspect of the wagon had to be captured perfectly and I hope I've done this.

First up was removing everything from the Dapol chassis and shorting it down to the right length, then the sides came on followed by springs and W irons, the springs consist of 10tho plasticard and the rest in 20tho plasticard. So far about 4 days have went into the Underframe only because as you can hopefully see everything is cut out individually, the V hangers were also made from 20tho plasticard. Brakes and brake lever were spares that came from the Cambrian kits. And finally wire connects the 2 sides together.

Now onto some pics,

post-19436-0-64479600-1397835672.jpg

Note the brakes are on one side only.

post-19436-0-49498400-1397835737_thumb.jpg

The underneath showing the wire.

post-19436-0-01418200-1397835809.jpg

The outside framed W irons really make the Underframe stand out from others.

Hopefully some of the body will get done this week.

Thanks for reading

Nelson

• Like 6

Hey, looking nice, only issue is the brake gear wouldnt work. Haha, in my quest for accuracy in my models, Ive developed a bit of brake gear obsession. The w irons are impressive.

One thing I like about the Dapol chassis and smiths 3 links is you can hollow out a slit and use the spring and all, yet still be able to screw on a tension lock.

You seem to be very good with plasticard. Cant wait for the body.

Hello folks,

Forgot to included a pic of the completed LNER wagon (well one of them) the other one wasn't ready in time for the exhibiton so it's only getting weathered now.

But here's the one that I did manage to complete in time for the exhibition,

post-19436-0-40339200-1397847054_thumb.jpg

I'll try and get more pics later today,

Thanks

Nelson

Edited by Nelson Jackson
  • Like 10

Hello everyone,

Here is the GNRI cattle wagon, all complete apart from the roof and small details that need touched up.

The 2 wagons have been painted and the interiors repainted, although not as good as my first attempt I think it looks okay, tomorrow will hopefully see the wagons weathered, couplings and wheels added. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

Nelson

Like others I have enjoyed your painting and weathering of wagons, the interior of this one to me looks the part. I am being a bit thick or just missed the colours you use. Please what is the base colour then what are you adding to vary the colour.

The next question is I see you are pre-painting the inside before building the wagon, now I have a 7 mm Slaters wagon that I would like to have a go at, but I wanted to spray paint the outside (perhaps the inside before dry brushing). Should I prime everything first, masking where the joints are or just mask up the interior when painting the outside

Thank you Jonathan,

I now realise my mistake looking back at the pic I'm working from, I will change it today, thanks.

Hi John,

I haven't actually stated the colours here yet so you aren't being thick don't worry, the colours I use are, these are all humbrol enamel tins, base coat: 93 followed by 119 dry brushing in the direction of the grain, then finally a small amount of 62 using the same method as 119 (note: sometimes you don't need 62, sometimes it looks fine as it it)

Then leave it overnight to fully dry, then the next day I use railmatch enamel "weathered black" heavily thinned down (basically making it a wash) and applying that over the top with a big brush in a few brush strokes making sure you have a even layer over everything,

And that's how I did the LNER wagon, but for the LMS one, the wash was thick and left for about 30 mins before attacking it with a Cotten bud dipped in thinners.

I have used the method painting the interior before assembly, but it doesn't work for me, when I assemble the wagon, it's really hard to touch up the interior afterwards, I can't seem to get that even effect. So what I did was actually re paint the interior after assembly to get that nice even look. For any future wagons I won't paint the insides, I'll leave that till I've finished assembling the wagon then use the same method as above,

For your wagon i would primer everything, then mask the sides then paint the interior,

I really hope this makes sense, please tell me :)

Thank you Tom for your comment

Edited by Nelson Jackson

Hello everyone,

Here's some more pics as promised, note that the interior of this was painted after the whole wagon was constructed. Using the same method as above but with very little humbrol 62.

As you can see the coupling broke off so I'll, need to repair that today as well, and the brake lever doesn't seem to want to come off the chassis of the van, so I may have to leave it as be but I'll try and get something sorted out.

post-19436-0-46943700-1397910259_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-57338300-1397910265.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 9

Hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't made an update sooner, I've been very busy with the club and it's Easter running specials, but here we are, I've cut out the 4 sides, made the corner supports out of balsa wood, these have yet to be shortened down, and others you can see in the pics below, the body fits onto the chassis perfectly, next is to do the door on the side and more supports/frames on the ends and sides. post-19436-0-52912200-1398265891_thumb.jpg

Inside

post-19436-0-88646700-1398265902_thumb.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 9