Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

Thank you Colin and Tom for your comments,

I'll definitely see if I can buy another kit as I really enjoyed this build.

Nelson

Hi Nelson,

Oh dear!- due to the Cambrian range being made by my brother I must add that other kits of a similar type are available from other manufacturers.

I have been more impressed by the way you have tackled the kit than who produced it. If you build everything to this standard, you'll have a nice collection of stock.

All the best,

Colin

Thank you Colin

I didn't know your brother produced the Cambrian range, this was a good kit, I'm hoping to get more from the range and other kits from parkside and ratio soon.

I'm having a bit of bother with the hurst Nelson private owner wagon and all will be explained in the next update, it wasn't the kits fault, it was mine and I've made it harder for myself, but it should come out alright after a few modifications.

Thanks

Nelson.

Hi Nelson,Oh dear!- due to the Cambrian range being made by my brother I must add that other kits of a similar type are available from other manufacturers.I have been more impressed by the way you have tackled the kit than who produced it. If you build everything to this standard, you'll have a nice collection of stock.All the best,Colin

The cambrian range is made by your brother?! Wow. I have to give a thank you for the nice range of LMS stock. Although getting the running gear to be level is the most difficult part. Haha. My first kit, which was the LMS 5 plank is only very slightly 3 wheeled. Im looking to pick up some LMS vans and maybe another open when I go to get more kits.

Also, good luck Nelson in your next kit.

I hope Colin (or Barry should he ever read this) won't mind me saying that the Cambrian kits have improved in terms of ease of build markedly in the last few years. The older ones (lower numbers) take more care and are more fiddly. The newest ones are on a par with Parkside (some of whose older kits are also a challenge). I wouldn't worry if you're struggling with a Hurst Nelson PO (if it's a Cambrian) - I've been there myself.

The gold standard are Roger Chivers - they all but assemble themselves.

Hello everyone,

Whilst major surgery is going on with the hurst Nelson wagon (body joins) I thought I might tell you what I bought at model rail Scotland and what's to come very soon.

The kits:

1) Cambrian LMS 12ton van

2) Cambrian 7 plank owner wagon

3.) Cambrian LNER 6 plank wagon

4) Cambrian 7 plank coke private owner wagon (with railings along the top)

5) Parkside Dundas LNER 5 plank wagon

6) Parkside Dundas BR 12 ton pipe wagon

7) Parkside Dundas 8 plank coal wagon

And I also managed to pick up some white metal coupling hooks, point rodding, ballast and other small things. So I managed to tick off nearly everything on my list. So all of the above is what you'll expect to see in the upcoming months (hopefully).

I also picked up a rather nicely painted Bachmann wagon but the coal load needs to be replaced and the paintwork fixed a small bit and other details are needed to be added, this is only going to take a couple of hours so it's a nice small project, picked it up for £4, not too bad I think.

Here's some pics of the wagon in the condition I bought it and once repairs are done ill take more pics.

post-19436-0-23300500-1393263306_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-91011100-1393263311_thumb.jpg

All I'm going is just adding some rust, replacement planks, weathering powders and buffer grease etc...

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 3

I hope Colin (or Barry should he ever read this) won't mind me saying that the Cambrian kits have improved in terms of ease of build markedly in the last few years. The older ones (lower numbers) take more care and are more fiddly. The newest ones are on a par with Parkside (some of whose older kits are also a challenge). I wouldn't worry if you're struggling with a Hurst Nelson PO (if it's a Cambrian) - I've been there myself.

The gold standard are Roger Chivers - they all but assemble themselves.

I have to hold my hands up and confess Jonathan, I was responsible for a number of the earlier kits/moulds!  The tooling was done on a lathe cross-slide with the milling cutter held in the chuck on kits up until the series of engineers wagons.  

All the best,

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not updating sooner, but here it is, the completed hurst Nelson wagon and Bachmann wagon.

A fair amount of filing and cutting down had to be done, mainly because I glued the buffer beam/headstocks too far back resulting in the solebars and body being too long, but here it is completed, I was planing to have it empty but I didn't like the colour of the inside wood so I jus added a coal load and personally i think it looks more better with the coal load added.

I followed the instructions and left out the brake gear on one side and painted per instructions, the strapping took ages to complete but I like the finished look of it, it stands out from the rest of the wagons.

Weathering consited of some rust and oil stains to the Underframe and a light weathering coat applied to the body.

Now the Bachmann wagon, all I did to this was added some real coal and repainted the Underframe, looks much better than before in my eyes,

Also what I am currently beginning work on is a GNRI resin cattle wagon kit,

post-19436-0-96790500-1394384624.jpg

Real fine coal

post-19436-0-29934100-1394384635.jpg

post-19436-0-51275400-1394384642.jpg

Cambrian hurst Nelson private owner wagon.

post-19436-0-49464500-1394384661.jpg

Bachmann wagon

Many Thanks

Nelson

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the lack of update over the weekend, I haven't been feeling too well lately but I am feeling a lot better now.

My newest project has been this NE coal wagon as seen below, I detailed and weathered it for my dad's birthday (he's a huge LNER fan) but for some reason the camera doesn't seen to pick up the weathering very well, but I can assure you she is weathered :)

post-19436-0-87312200-1395174924_thumb.jpg

The wagon as bought.

post-19436-0-17418300-1395174207.jpg

Then weathered.

post-19436-0-56901500-1395174934.jpg

The end showing the rust, coal dust and buffer grease.

post-19436-0-88296000-1395174941.jpg

And the real coal load.

You may be able to see in the background another wagon kit, this is the Cambrian LNER 6 plank wagon which hopefully shall be finished soon.

Also on the workbench is the GNRI cattle wagon kit which is now completed and ready to be painted.

post-19436-0-12834400-1395175143_thumb.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 7