Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

People buy models for different reasons. It is unlikely that an H2 went to Dorset but people living in the County may have been interested in a model named after a local landmark. Similarly my neighbour, who has got another house in Corfe Castle, has not got a model railway but he still bought a Wrenn model of Corfe Castle to put on his mantelpiece. Unfortunately the postman left it on his doorstep and someone stole it from there.

I happen to think the H1/H2 will be very popular in its first releases, but not so popular Bachmann will rush to repeat the models.

I really hope they do another release, then I can shut up about wanting one in malachite!

• RMweb Gold

People buy models for different reasons. It is unlikely that an H2 went to Dorset but people living in the County may have been interested in a model named after a local landmark. Similarly my neighbour, who has got another house in Corfe Castle, has not got a model railway but he still bought a Wrenn model of Corfe Castle to put on his mantelpiece. Unfortunately the postman left it on his doorstep and someone stole it from there.

Wasn't Bournemouth in Dorset when the H2s were running?

EDIT: No, it wasn't, not until 1974.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

.... and I was hoping to buy 33-611 60' ex-SECR Birdcage composite 5453 in SR olive green ... but I haven't got a clue what Bachmann have or have not decided what they're doing with THAT ! .... er - unfortunately .......

Email received yesterday from Hatton's stating the following:

"Bachmann Branchline 39-611 60' ex-SECR Birdcage composite 5453 in SR olive green £55.21

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 26th January 2018

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. 

This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful."

• RMweb Gold

"Bachmann Branchline 39-611 60' ex-SECR Birdcage composite 5453 in SR olive green £55.21

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 26th January 2018

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. 

"Yes, repeat, no."

Was £93.

That'll be me Out if they won't honour the £152.96 they raised it to just 3 months ago.

It could be psychological. Announce a price which makes everyone go "expensive compared to a pacific (or whatever), but still cheaper than the NRM C1, and  it is special, so I will stick with it" then 3 months later increase it so people "well, it's just another £10 on top". Had it been - say - £160 discounted price to start with, a lot more people may have dropped out.

Of course, if a shop still has a margin despite the increase, they may be less bound to keep within the discount limits contractually imposed by Bachmann, because the shop had advertised based on the previous discounted RRP, their customers placed orders based on that, then the price increases - further orders after that will need to respect the new price. On the other hand, if the new price is imposed even on old orders, the shop ends up in awkward situation of cancellations, which they cannot push back to Bachmann.

........ no such e-mail received here yet ..................... maybe that's scheduled on OR AFTER the 26th too ??!?

• RMweb Premium

........ no such e-mail received here yet ..................... maybe that's scheduled on OR AFTER the 26th too ??!?

Not just you.

I had the same with the SECR liveried coaches.  The first notification I received was the picking email, but others reported having received a warning of their imminent arrival.  It is not a problem for me, but I could see others might have an issue if their bank account is about to be hit with no pre-warning.

Apologies in advance, as I only dip in and out of RMweb, and have lost the overall thread on this and the H1 thread!

Can anyone clarify - have Bachmann actually produced a Brighton Atlantic model that punters have been able to buy?

If so, what exactly is available, if not, can any one clarify their current proposals for H1 and H2 variants?

Yours

Confused of Heswall

Edited by Richard Jones

• RMweb Gold

Apologies in advance, as I only dip in and out of RMweb, and have lost the overall thread on this and the H1 thread!

Can anyone clarify - have Bachmann actually produced a Brighton Atlantic model that punters have been able to buy?

If so, what exactly is available, if not, can any one clarify their current proposals for H1 and H2 variants?

Yours

Confused of Heswall

Both H1and H2 are now expected this year. Livery options remain limited.

Guest spet0114

If you are feeling Atlantically deprived, there is the GNR/LNER Ivatt C1 readily available from the NRM...

And at a price that'll soon be considered a bargain....

And at a price that'll soon be considered a bargain....

If that is a bargain, what about £70 I paid for Hornby's A1 "Great Northern", just as detailed and unique in the Hornby A1 collection by having even a GNR cab? Or even £70 for a Clan...

These Atlantics are physically quite small, probably a tad smaller than a Schools, the jump from a C1 to A1 is quite big and amazing it happened so fast.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

If that is a bargain, what about £70 I paid for Hornby's A1 "Great Northern", just as detailed and unique in the Hornby A1 collection by having even a GNR cab? Or even £70 for a Clan...

These Atlantics are physically quite small, probably a tad smaller than a Schools, the jump from a C1 to A1 is quite big and amazing it happened so fast.

It all depends - if you want to buy an atlantic, the prices of pacifics are irrelevant.

My comment was based on the fact that the current RRP for the H2 is alarmingly close to what Locomotion were (and I think still are) charging for the C1. If the H2 goes up any further....

...These Atlantics are physically quite small, probably a tad smaller than a Schools...

Very close to the Schools in overall length, I fancy the Atlantic might be some inches longer. (C1 at 70T vs 67T for the V.)

...the jump from a C1 to A1 is quite big and amazing it happened so fast.

Doncaster's achievement in the transition from Atlantic to Pacific is under-appreciated to this day. Three other able design teams failed to make a go of it, largely because they based the pacific on an earlier 4-4-2 or 4-6-0. The A1 was a clean sheet, and found the layout that would just fit within the limitations of loading gauge and weight restrictions typical of the UK network: nothing better was subsequently found, and all successful UK pacifics followed this template. (Ironically the lesson lost on Unsteady Eddie when he got the Doncaster chair...)

• RMweb Gold

Very close to the Schools in overall length, I fancy the Atlantic might be some inches longer. (C1 at 70T vs 67T for the V.)

Doncaster's achievement in the transition from Atlantic to Pacific is under-appreciated to this day. Three other able design teams failed to make a go of it, largely because they based the pacific on an earlier 4-4-2 or 4-6-0. The A1 was a clean sheet, and found the layout that would just fit within the limitations of loading gauge and weight restrictions typical of the UK network: nothing better was subsequently found, and all successful UK pacifics followed this template. (Ironically the lesson lost on Unsteady Eddie when he got the Doncaster chair...)

The A1 might have been a clean sheet, but it wasn’t on Doncasters’ paper, the A1 was heavily influenced by the PRR K4.

The A1 might have been a clean sheet, but it wasn’t on Doncasters’ paper, the A1 was heavily influenced by the PRR K4.

But still a clean sheet design, that took the proven principles from the K4, and scaled them down to fit within the UK system's constraints. This was not a new trick from Doncaster, the C1 atlantic and thus the Brighton atlantics (back on topic!) all owe a clear debt to American practise, principally in respect of the wide firebox boiler, following a study visit made by members of Ivatt's team.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But still a clean sheet design, that took the proven principles from the K4, and scaled them down to fit within the UK system's constraints. This was not a new trick from Doncaster, the C1 atlantic and thus the Brighton atlantics (back on topic!) all owe a clear debt to American practise, principally in respect of the wide firebox boiler, following a study visit made by members of Ivatt's team.

I've read a claim that  Ivatt took inspiration for his atlantic boilers from Gooch's broad gauge 4-4-2s

The very unusual 4-2-2 locomotive that might have inspired Doncaster's move to wide firebox was a Baldwin locomotive named Lovett Eames which was on the GNR from circa 1880 to 1884. A very exotic machine, with the improbable grate area for the time of 56 sq ft: as large as that fitted to the later U1 Garratt generally considered the largest to run in UK service

The very unusual 4-2-2 locomotive that might have inspired Doncaster's move to wide firebox was a Baldwin locomotive named Lovett Eames which was on the GNR from circa 1880 to 1884. A very exotic machine, with the improbable grate area for the time of 56 sq ft: as large as that fitted to the later U1 Garratt generally considered the largest to run in UK service

Mr.Eames probably didn't realise that the G.N.R. had access to copious quantities of coal and didn't have to resort to deforestation ..................