acg5324

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, grahame said:

Yeah, go on. Spill the beans. It can't be TINGS, DEMU showcase or the NGS Landmark Event exhibition, they've all been effectively announced.

I didn’t think the NGS event had been publicly announced……which is what KPA has been invited to. May 12/13 2023 at the NRM.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Give us a clue....

Ooop north, or darn sarf?

Ooop North. NRM York.

10 Layouts all N gauge…..I have a list somewhere…..Major manufactures, trade, demonstrations and talks. Whilst run by the NGS it is open to all.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, acg5324 said:

I didn’t think the NGS event had been publicly announced……which is what KPA has been invited to. May 12/13 2023 at the NRM.

It's advertised on the Model Shop Directory events: https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/y2023/m5 (might need to scroll down to it).

However, it wasn't mentioned in the recent Journal/Newsletter.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The NGS are still in the planning stages of their NRM event - my understanding is that they're planning on launching the main publicity in the next few weeks once the layouts and traders have been confirmed.

Steven B.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steven B said:

The NGS are still in the planning stages of their NRM event - my understanding is that they're planning on launching the main publicity in the next few weeks once the layouts and traders have been confirmed.

Steven B.

Only one trader so far on the list I’ve been sent ……but some big name manufacturers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As I now need to get a few more buildings finished, this one is nearly over the finishing line. Part of the Olympia complex facing the operator. It just needs the balcony doing, and I’m not happy with the printed door so will replace it with a plasticard one.

03D672EC-7F83-4161-AA19-CBAD914E9D2A.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Yorkshire NGS a meeting tomorrow and Mrs G is off to the theatre in Leeds with her workmates. Out for a meal with friends Sunday so a busy weekend beckons. Have good one everyone……

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2022 at 04:44, LongRail said:

Andy, see what you mean the door looks rather flat and out of place by comparison with the rest of the build

A quick rummage in the bits draw and I found some Dornaplas 4 panel front doors. These have been chopped a bit to make 3 x 6 panel doors….some brown and red spray and jobs done. The balustrade around the balcony above the doors has also been added.

722DE200-1F61-4186-953D-DAF3F3B52FBA.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

In a spare moment I’ve also made some large street lamps….only four so far as I’ve run out of rod. These have been sprayed with white primer and aluminium and are now just drying off in the garage.

A8E04937-CCF2-4305-914B-8185C910325D.jpeg

3EB474F3-C339-45D7-B265-C42664F0718E.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, acg5324 said:

A quick rummage in the bits draw and I found some Dornplas 4 panel front doors. These have been chopped a bit to make 3 x 6 panel doors….some brown and red spray and jobs done. The balustrade around the balcony above the doors has also been added.

722DE200-1F61-4186-953D-DAF3F3B52FBA.jpeg

Where would we be without Dornaplas and Grandt Line (as was) when modelling buildings?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Where would we be without Dornaplas and Grandt Line (as was) when modelling buildings?

The Dornaplas range rather stagnated as soon as it started. You can still get the doors and windows plus the terraced house kits. I’ve got the windows and doors through MBMS from Gaugemaster.

• Like 1

I've always felt that the Dornaplus range is a little tiddly. Their Cargo truck is definitely underscale, probably 1:160 rather than 1:148. And the building doors are rather short.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, grahame said:

I've always felt that the Dornaplus range is a little tiddly. Their Cargo truck is definitely underscale, probably 1:160 rather than 1:148. And the building doors are rather short.

I've only used the 4mm scale windows and doors, Grahame, and I find them very good. I've also got a 4mm goods shed kit to build.

• RMweb Premium

Having worked for BR etc for 37 years and a bit I’m well aware that there were some great ideas and practices and some that…..well……

…..so why do all four Mk1 brake vehicles BSK BCK BSO and BFK have almost no commonality in the brake van area?  Large brake with two pairs of doors, some with one pair of doors. Random extra small windows as well.  
The BFK conversion above went OK but it would be so much easier just to cut the Brake Van area off a BSK and plant it on the four compartments of a FK.

All four brake types…..the BFK has a way to go yet…..

6D525B2E-CA0A-4572-B069-2381DFA6F6A4.jpeg

C7B9CA0C-DBAE-467C-AEE5-03BCD4FD8C4C.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Where's the fun in that?

True John, but I’d rather have not have had to do a total of nine cuts to get the panels in the right order…….anyway I’m over it now.

Next stage will be to remove a lot of the roof vents and replace them in position nearer to the actual vehicles layout. 
Image from https://coaches-library.weebly.com/mk1---bfk.html

Even that’s odd with matched pairs over each compartment.

48B08677-F2EF-4810-8C73-73A37993A653.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Having worked for BR etc for 37 years and a bit I’m well aware that there were some great ideas and practices and some that…..well……

…..so why do all four Mk1 brake vehicles BSK BCK BSO and BFK have almost no commonality in the brake van area?  Large brake with two pairs of doors, some with one pair of doors. Random extra small windows as well.  
The BFK conversion above went OK but it would be so much easier just to cut the Brake Van area off a BSK and plant it on the four compartments of a FK.

All four brake types…..the BFK has a way to go yet…..

6D525B2E-CA0A-4572-B069-2381DFA6F6A4.jpeg

C7B9CA0C-DBAE-467C-AEE5-03BCD4FD8C4C.jpeg

Did you do a similar thing to create the BSO, please, Andy ? I'd like a couple of BSOTs and can see from your photo that it's not just a case of changing roof vents and internal details on a BCK as I'd hoped.

Regards,

Ian.

1 hour ago, 03060 said:

Did you do a similar thing to create the BSO, please, Andy ? I'd like a couple of BSOTs and can see from your photo that it's not just a case of changing roof vents and internal details on a BCK as I'd hoped.

Regards,

Ian.

As you say, unfortunately it is not that easy, I made a BSO in 4mm from 2 x BSK plus a spare SO interior, there were 3 sections on the side in the end (there is a thread on here, showing the build) I guess the work is similar for N gauge 

Edited by 37114
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 03060 said:

Regards,

Ian.

Yes I did Ian, I think I used a TSO and BCK, still needed to cut some windows into the TSO side. I’ll try and find the original part of the thread…it’s a while back.

• Thanks 1