acg5324

• RMweb Premium

There is still quite a lot of buildings to finish and many more to make. The gardens and walls are largely complete. Backscene pretty well finished too.

9CE3C7C9-91CB-4AEB-9A64-D70E8F80B6BE.jpeg

1FD53267-2571-4D18-BC32-2F4A727E2C7D.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The empty space behind the bridge to the left will gain a building to assist hiding the access to the fiddle yard.

06FDBB2F-E19C-487A-A155-343DB70EC103.jpeg

The back entrance to Charles House gains a queue as a bit of a Monty Python Gas man sketch tribute.

1CF76851-8EEF-454F-94AB-D9DC00C4E234.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve made a start on one of the missing buildings. This is the one that goes next to the bridge / north end of the station, seen on earlier picture. Once again mount board frame and it’ll be largely plasticard walls.  I can’t seem to link to a picture of the original building on my IPad, so I’ll go via the PC later. The first photo shows it in its final resting place, the second with the end wall added.

E3098F73-9CCE-449F-8C02-F9394AA33DA0.jpeg

A483C186-F477-46BE-9E20-E026C15E55D1.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Broken PECO points very rare in my experience. Not sure if this a newish one or one recovered from Minty Colorado. The hole that the point motor rod fits into has broken out. After removing the point motor I’ve re drilled another hole to pit up the other side of the point blade. Needless to say the point motor locating holes are on one side where the original hole was and the other side of the ply mount…..so some filling and extensions made. The earth tape is just there to stop the filler coming through.

B99C4575-FEE7-4567-AA34-4CD19473C0F2.jpeg

A89851BD-0557-48D8-8457-987FEA374E55.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

That looks like a melting rather than a breakage. See where the plastic next to the rail has also melted.

This can easily happen if a cutting disk is used to trim the operating rod from the point motor. It could also be caused by an overheating point motor.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I see what you mean Ian. I’ve used Xurcon track cutters to snip the rods so that’s odd? It is however very near the baseboard end and I may have used a cutting disc on that……heat might have tracked back I guess and weakened it first.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve made up the arc welding set for the back street garage….after a couple of false starts I’ve got it going OK. One of the issues was the wires reversed to the battery pack.

• RMweb Premium

A busy weekend for us as we’ve headed to Sussex for a family wedding….well the reception as the wedding was in 2020 and hardly anyone could go.

As the price of a hotel in Brighton is ridiculous we are staying in Lewes….oh no I’ll have to go the Harvey’s Brewery Shop……actually I went about an hour ago! 
When we arrived last night, an hour late, points failure at Stevenage, we popped out to the John Harvey for a drink….closed at 9pm staff issues! A short walk on to the Carpenters Arms instead for a lovely couple of pints of Sussex. 

Lots of empty shops in Lewes, shame and the town seems very quiet too.

Edited by acg5324
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Well we are back home after our weekend stay in Lewes for the wedding in Brighton. In the five years we’ve been moved away from the area there have been lots of changes, especially along the Lewes Rd in Brighton which is almost unrecognisable with all the tower blocks of student accommodation. 
I came back with four bottles from Harvey’s and a spare bottle of wine lifted from the reception.

The journey home could have been a lot worse, delays on the Brighton line due to an earlier “person struck by a train” north of StPancras. We were booked on the 1200 ex KGX what used to be the Highland Chieftan. This left on time but we were delayed near Newark due to a balloon wrapped around the OHLE….25 mins late into York but not long before a bus home.

The HC then didn’t have a very good journey 65L Darlington, 96L Newcastle, 164L  Alnmouth, 288L Berwick UT, 348L Edinburgh, 340L Inverness…arriving at 0145 vice 2007.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Only one board of Olympia remains to be joined to its bedfellows…….its a bit of a squeeze, more so now that the back scenes are attached. Hopefully Mrs G will give me a hand later, as long as she can let go of her walking stick.

70934F6D-FED7-43D6-A6BB-D742E282FDD3.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Big Dave.

Ha ha……I didn’t know his middle initials…..the master when it comes to wine. I also lifted two bottles of red for a family friend, she’s taking back to Cornwall. To be fair they were all paid for and B.I.L. Neil said don’t waste any…..Nuff said!

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

With Mrs G help the last board was attached last night. Working the next two days so it’ll be Friday before they are levelled and electrically reconnected.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

35.3C in the Kitchen / Diner at the moment 1700hrs….just about 32C in the Lounge, too hot to do any modelling….but I did this morning. I’ve redone the rooftop signs for the TWA terminal and hotel. These were printed on photographic paper and mounted on 20th of plasticard…..which has warped and also got knocked a few times. I’ve redone them mounted on a 12mm strip of brass with 1mm posts of rod soldered to the backs……much better.

Other than scan some negatives and slides it’s been just too hot. Extra day at work tomorrow so I might cool off on the walk in!

00AD807A-538F-43B3-A54E-3C074D1091DB.jpeg

176F5395-5661-4BC0-8455-458F4B0170A7.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Best laid plans…..today I was going to get the layout levelled up and have a bit of a running test. Plugged everything in every point dead…….mmmmmm.

Most obvious fault would have been related to the points common. This runs, like the DCC bus right around the layout. Checked the connecting blocks for a loose wire, nothing. Next check was each board jumper. Fortunately when I did the wiring I kept the DCC bus and commons to a separate set of 9 way jumpers, only 4 pins are used. On the second to last jumper I opened up the case and the one of the pins fell out, it had snapped. A quick rummage in my stores and a spare plug was found and soldered into place. Ta Dah! it all works. I’ve run out of time now as I’m off to give blood this afternoon….pint 45.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

The Diesel Engine carrier wagon is now complete, bar decals. I think these are going to be far to small to print, but will give it a go.

BA109AD6-D4DE-4268-8111-32D1D8E71418.jpeg

1FB4C38C-9C19-4312-BBB6-DD434AE78F5E.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Decals printed and attached this afternoon. The white edge that shows to some of them will be lost with a bit of weathering. 1 and 1.5 high, Arial Black font in Bold so that can at least be seen……….back to buildings next I think., although I am going to build a Mk1 BFK and a couple more Continental ferry vans.

Kensington Olympia will be exhibited next year at a show I can’t yet mention……..not been announced yet! Watch this space.

9390972A-1843-41D2-9EC8-E52E61307134.jpeg

FAB70BD2-B97A-4ADD-A930-115FCEDA6F85.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Kensington Olympia will be exhibited next year at a show I can’t yet mention……..not been announced yet! Watch this space.

Give us a clue....

Ooop north, or darn sarf?

1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

Give us a clue....

Ooop north, or darn sarf?

Yeah, go on. Spill the beans. It can't be TINGS, DEMU showcase or the NGS Landmark Event exhibition, they've all been effectively announced.