RMweb

Farnley Burton - No Progress, but I am building a house

freebs

• RMweb Gold

Actually, just to add a few things...

Firstly, the bit round the window looks great, not least because you wouldn't expect the internal stonework to be of a very high standard, and it now looks almost as though the window was an afterthought - which it could well have been - or perhaps has been enlarged / replaced at some time.

Real buildings do have imperfections, and whilst your scribing is amazingly sharp and accurate, to my mind the odd out of place stone or join is probably more realistic.

On the subject of painting, you said "but how dirty would the inside of a goods shed have got?"

When I was researching my goods shed, all the contemporary photos showed it to be absolutely filthy. It was whitewashed, but one could hardly tell.

Don't forget that the outside stonework does get a wash whenever it rains :), whereas the inside probably hasn't been touched since 1906...

Please feel free to ignore all the above...

Al.

I believe Colron is the prescribed method :D

Nice work Lee, very nice indeed.

I had a garage cupboard full of part tins of the stuff - can't believe I threw it all away. Yes, Colron would have been better, but I found an old pot of photographer's ink/dye used for touching up photos, and that seems to produce a good result

]Hmm, this leads to a conundrum.. It's my Shed and I'll do what I want with it, but would it look better white washed and then dirtied up? Like I said, I wanted a nice stone look to it, but then again, it doesn't want to look like a preservation building.

I like the idea about the window as an afterthought - maybe the builders forgot about it.

Anyhoo - the pointing went well last night, so I think I might be veering towards mucking up the stonework  instead of whitewashing:

post-15693-0-13493600-1385542635.jpg

Edited by freebs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely it's your Shed!!

I wasn't trying to tell you what to do in any way, and the fact that my shed was whitewashed doesn't mean yours should be. I was more making the point that it would probably be very dirty.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

I whitewashed (and then weathered) the stonework on the inside of my goods shed, the logic being that lighting by other means was not really that effective in days gone by so anything they could do do reflect and increase what light they had would be employed, e.g. whitewashing the stones. I did paint it stone colour first and left bits where the whitewash had worn away / thinned out over the years, as a contrast.

As you say though, it's your building and you can do what you like :)      but...... if you later on find out that most sheds were whitewashed and you have grotted the interior up, it's going to be a bit of a job to get it back to a whitewashed look. 

Stunning work by the way.

• Like 1

Loading dock assembled using 3mm foamex for the formers (holding the deck up) and the stone facings with a piece of 2mm for the dock floor. 

slots have been cut out for the internal sliding doors

I did make a door yesterday, but I dropped it and one of the very delicate roller hangers broke off.

Never mind though, because I have refined my door making technique making use of the plotter ...

The loading dock base

post-15693-0-66763200-1385558694.jpg

And now I've started adding coffee stirrers for the wooden floor

post-15693-0-87943400-1385558717.jpg

yes, they're very overscale as they are, but once they are all glued down and dry, the plan is to then sand with fine paper to get flat and the wood glue residue off, then scribe gently with a scalpel to get the scale plank widths.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring enough coffee stirrers with me to work, so that's it for lunchtime modelling unless I can find some white emulsion... ;)

• Like 4

Here's where I am as of this morning...

I've completed glueing down the coffee stirrer floor, ready for sanding down flat

And I've also made the internal sliding doors (loosely balanced in place for now)

As you may also be able to see here, the painters have been in and started to whitewash the walls, but in a bad case of project planners, the carpenters showed up just after them to lay the floor and told them to clear off!

post-15693-0-61866100-1385632600.jpg

post-15693-0-74716700-1385632605.jpg

Having taken under advisory the aspect of whitewashing the interior walls, I dabbed at the walls with a mix of dilute and neat white acrylic with a broad brush, painting the reveals with a 00 brush. One dry, this was then treated with a liberal wash of dark grey to flood in some grime. The wash floods into the scribing detail extremely satisfactorily. Perhaps it's a little TOO grimy now? I may dry brush over with white in places.

post-15693-0-60027200-1385723161.jpg

The flooring was finished off by scribing in planks and painting over with brown ink. Unfortunately most of the detail was lost and I wasn't too happy with how dark it looked, so I sanded it back a little then dry brushed with cream, and I think it looks OK now. The photos aren't great, so I'll try to get a decent DSLR shot later.

Finishing off the edges of the deck, I used a 4mm wide strip of 2mm foamex and painted crimson. The stonework was given a coat of Humbrol Sand (63) Acrylic and then a wash of Artists' Burnt Umber followed by a creamy light grey wash for the mortar course. It was then dirtied up with a dry brush of dark grey.

post-15693-0-02480000-1385723169.jpg

The doors were a lot of fun - I drew up the panels, then let my vinyl plotter scribe in the planking detail (a new thing I've discovered ;) These were then cut out and the hanger brackets were fashioned from 2mm wide strips of plasticard. I experimented with getting the vinyl plotter to cut the brackets out, but it just wasn't having it, so I had to resort to a cruder option. If I had the money, I'd definitely consider getting some etches, but for interior detail is it really worth it?

Finally the rollers were fashioned, again rather crudely, from some little sections of cotton bud sticks - small pieces of rod would have been better, but I was using what I had to hand.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased so far, and I'm going to be loath to put a roof on!

• RMweb Gold

freebs, on 29 Nov 2013 - 11:20, said:

All in all, I'm pretty pleased so far, and I'm going to be loath to put a roof on!

And so you should be, that's brilliant. I love the detail on the door, it's really hard to distinguish whether it's a model or not.

Personally, I reckon you could go a bit darker with the grime, not lighter, but it looks great.

Awesome mate!

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee, this looks really great. I like the planking on the deck, as you say although it it is overscale it doesn't show. I think the whitewashing was a good decision, and I like the slight grime in the corners.

Nothing much to report this weekend other than finishing scribing the inside of the last wall and painting it sand, prior to whitewashing.

I took some (fairly) decent shots with the DSLR, but unfortunately couldn't persuade the cat to move :)

post-15693-0-08620300-1385942829.jpg

post-15693-0-48219200-1385942830.jpgpost-15693-0-40391300-1385942832.jpgpost-15693-0-27756500-1385942834.jpgpost-15693-0-89834100-1385942835.jpgpost-15693-0-80853600-1385942837.jpgpost-15693-0-28839500-1385942839.jpgpost-15693-0-39001200-1385942841.jpgpost-15693-0-08193200-1385942843.jpg

• Like 4

I've now affixed  the final wall and the sliding door for the opposite side. I've also made a door to the office.

Started work on the office building... Is it cheating to use a moulded door from a defunct kit?... :)post-15693-0-00274300-1386113996.jpgpost-15693-0-42987500-1386113997.jpgpost-15693-0-06977000-1386113999.jpgpost-15693-0-49413300-1386114000.jpg

The office door is frwshly painted and needs dirtying up a bit, as does the white wall. Ignore the colouring on the outside stonework, that has yet to be properly addressed.

Still loads to do before I can even get to the roof, but now all four walls are in place it's getting somewhere

Edited by freebs
  • Like 4

I've now affixed  the final wall and the sliding door for the opposite side. I've also made a door to the office.

Started work on the office building... Is it cheating to use a moulded door from a defunct kit?... 

That`s not cheating, it`s "creative modelling time enhancement"

lovely shed!

• RMweb Gold

Is it cheating to use a moulded door from a defunct kit?... :)

Sacrilege! Burn the heretic!... :D :D

Actually, it fits in very nicely, doesn't it?

Nice work freebs.

Are you going to detail the inside of the office? :sungum:

Sacrilege! Burn the heretic!... :D :D

Actually, it fits in very nicely, doesn't it?

Nice work freebs.

Are you going to detail the inside of the office? :sungum:

I was going to wimp out of that because the rear side of the door is flat, but I suppose I could make one up with plasticard... I'm also having issues with where the chimney goes. The drawings of the shed I was copying show the chimney stack on the main shed roof, but the office building, where the fireplace would have been, is offset to the left. Not that I'll be modelling the route of the chimney, but does the below look like how it would have been built? I know you had similar issues with your station.

post-15693-0-59444100-1386151419.jpg

Wow... Really looks nice. I really love the weathering you've done to the walls and to the wooden floor inside the building ! But what basic material are you using for scribing ? I'm mainly using Cellular PVC Board, but I'm sure it's not the only material available.

Keep up the good work,

Eric.

See my work on my "Leddysh Gate" project : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78792-rickys-leddysh-gate-workbench/

Eric - the base material sounds the same as yours - we get it at work for mounting exhibition graphic panels. It's trade name is Foamex, although we use a product called Forex too, but it's essentially the same... Having said that, I have noticed there's a slight difference in some of them, for example, the offcut I was using for the rear wall seemed to be a lot more fibrous. It's not perfect, but I think it works really well for what I'm doing, and it's sturdy enough yet relatively lightweight.