Aylestone Depot

shanks522

Hello all,

A productive few hours today, I finished the yard trackwork and associated wiring, all the points are wired up but i still need to construct the control panel for it.

post-6774-0-97736400-1425851023_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-00353300-1425851018_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-23385900-1425851040_thumb.jpg

I also fitted another signal on the branch in the Up direction, fully automated using heathcote electronics mass sequencer.

This is situated just before were the tunnel will be built and also acts as a limit of shunt for trains using the mainline rather than the short headshunt.

post-6774-0-26174700-1425851046_thumb.jpg

And finally i bought another Shark last week so i ran a sunday brake van special.

post-6774-0-50716500-1425851063_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 10

Hello all, 

A few things done to the layout this week.

I spent an hour or so putting the lower bricks into the depot building, I've used Will's flexible brickwork which is quite thin so that i have the brick face on both sides.

post-6774-0-05083000-1426360185_thumb.jpg

I also cut and dry fitted the station/town scene board.

post-6774-0-04466500-1426360149_thumb.jpg

And finally won this on ebay, I really do love the class 60's In N and 00 so another one won't hurt, Livery wise its no good for the layout but i'm not bothered.

post-6774-0-06833300-1426360168_thumb.jpg

And whilst browsing ebay i found its little brother so bought that to.

post-6774-0-74241800-1426360213_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, 

Not much of a layout update but some new traction to haul my failed Eurostar.

The lead loco ( 37601 ) has Legomanbiffo sound fitted and I've butchered an old Bachmann chassis to create a dummy for 37608.

post-6774-0-24306400-1428867647_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been doing a little bit in the yard.

First up i've put a hard standing area in between two sidings in the yard, this will enable trains to be unloaded via fork truck.

My usual method was used for this by laying a plasticard edging then filing the centre with decorators filler, I've still got to rub it down and paint / weather it.

post-6774-0-91190200-1429733499_thumb.jpg

I also cut and shut two Peco LK-82 goods depots into one larger one, it can hold two Heljan cargowagon's  so plenty big enough for me. 

It'l need painting / weathering and maybe lighting adding but for the moment i just want it in place so i can crack on with other scenery.

post-6774-0-21153000-1429733481_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-81647700-1429733510_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-84647600-1429733520_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-46527900-1429733515_thumb.jpg

cheers

graham.

• Like 9

Hello all,

Work on the branch signalling today,

First up the signal protecting the station, with a PLS and feathers to access the yard.

attachicon.gifSignal approaching station.jpg

Hi Graham,

The layouts looking good, and signalling looks nice, but there's something bugging me about the picture above.

Signalling Principles say you can't have a Feather as a junction indicator for a shunt or calling on move using a position light. If there are multiple routes for a position light controlled move, then a miniature Route Indicator (Theatre Box) would be provided. In you're case if there is only a single shunt route from that signal that takes you into the yard, but also a main route, then the signals fine, you just need to stop the feather illuminating with the position light (but keeping it lit when the main route is set)

However if you have more than one shunt route, you have to add a miniature route indicator, although these aren't available anywhere, so I would say just having a position light on its own with no route indication would be suitable until someone invents something.

Of course, you don't have to actually take any notice of any of the above, it's your layout ;) :P

Anyway, it's looking great, I'll continue to watch with interest!

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the post and info.

I am aware of the signalling principles with regard to a PLS, but as you rightly say, no theatre box is available commercially, although I did try hard to get one!

I need some form of route indication on the signal because the PLS can control two routes - into the engineers' yard, or a calling-on permissive move into a partially occupied platform (the up bay).

So I had three options:

1.    employ a dummy theatre box.

2.    use feathers.

3.    do nothing.

On the basis that for every regulation on the railway there is usually an exception, and because I like to see things working, I decided on option 2. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

cheers

Graham.

• Like 5

I've been trying to decide if I should use one of these on my siding.

Never thought about using 2 like that.

Thanks for the idea. :)

Hello all,

I've been doing a little bit in the yard.

I also cut and shut two Peco LK-82 goods depots into one larger one, it can hold two Heljan cargowagon's  so plenty big enough for me. 

It'l need painting / weathering and maybe lighting adding but for the moment i just want it in place so i can crack on with other scenery.

attachicon.gifyard unloading bay.jpg

attachicon.gifcargowagon unloading line.jpg

attachicon.gifcargowagon in the unloading bay.jpg

attachicon.gifcargowagon on .jpg

cheers

graham.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I had a few hours to myself yesterday and thought i'd have some productive time working on the layout, Things didn't quite go to plan but i did get some stuff done.

Firstly i've been doing some decorating in the house so thought it would be a good time to repaint the backscene behind the depot, A quick fill and rub down then a few coats of white emulsion and things look a lot brighter, I had considered a light blue but in a small room i want it to be as light as possible. I've only done a small section but may repaint the whole room in white.

Whilst the depot was off i did a little spring cleaning in the storage sidings.

post-6774-0-27149300-1430337055_thumb.jpg

Empty yard but now nice and bright.

post-6774-0-87882100-1430336995_thumb.jpg

Whilst i was in a painting mood i also gave the yard hardstanding another fill/rub down then a couple of coats of paint.

post-6774-0-04037200-1430336989_thumb.jpg

And finally i've been trying to source some 90's lorry's for the layout and after visiting the Eddie Stobart website bought this.

post-6774-0-03415100-1430336984_thumb.jpg

One job i was looking forward to doing was to install the shunt signal on the exit of the depot, I ordered one weeks ago after i couldn't find one i thought i had

Once the new one arrived low and behold the original one turned up so i had two which was not a problem, Now being such an organised person that i am i put them somewhere safe and surprise surprise when i came to fit one yesterday i couldn't find either of them, I must of spent two hours searching for them to no avail, What is so frustrating is i know there in there somewhere but where!!!! 

When i eventually find one and fit it i can complete the ballasting outside the depot and crack on with weathering etc.

Thankyou to all for the kind comments and likes etc

cheers

Graham.

• Like 9

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the post and info.

I am aware of the signalling principles with regard to a PLS, but as you rightly say, no theatre box is available commercially, although I did try hard to get one!

I need some form of route indication on the signal because the PLS can control two routes - into the engineers' yard, or a calling-on permissive move into a partially occupied platform (the up bay).

So I had three options:

1.    employ a dummy theatre box.

2.    use feathers.

3.    do nothing.

On the basis that for every regulation on the railway there is usually an exception, and because I like to see things working, I decided on option 2. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

cheers

Graham.

Hi Graham,

You're right there is always an exception, in fact another member at Taunton told me about using a feather with a PL, so you're okay doing it :)

Simon

Graham.

Check out this link Graham, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteAspects/photos/pb.148359041986367.-2207520000.1430422244./441451089343826/?type=3&theater

Hello all,

First up the signal protecting the station, with a PLS and feathers to access the yard.

attachicon.gifSignal approaching station.jpg

Graham.

May I ask where you got this signal from?

• Like 1

May I ask where you got this signal from?

Hi Tase

Its from CR signals.

With regard to the absolute aspects theatre box, i had seen it but thought it was a little to large for what i wanted, thanks for the link though.

Cheers

Graham. 

Hi Tase

Its from CR signals.

With regard to the absolute aspects theatre box, i had seen it but thought it was a little to large for what i wanted, thanks for the link though.

Cheers

Graham. 

Hi,

You'll be able to see my full review of the AA's New Dot Matrix Standard Route Indicator in BRM Next Month, but the box isn't as over scale as I thought it might be, big yes, but not as big as they used to be.

Although in this case, it still wouldn't be suitable, as the PL would require a Miniature version, which is very very small and probably not possible to make in 'OO'

Simon

Hello all,

Another 5 hours turning the railway room upside down looking for shunting signals! I had searched just about everywhere and decided to admit defeat then all of a sudden found an old one i had on the previous layout, Once it was tested it was installed in record time before i lost it! 

post-6774-0-58580800-1430686018_thumb.jpg

I've laid the ballast this evening and once dry i can crack on with weathering and some more scenery.

cheers

Graham. 

• Like 9