Aylestone Depot

shanks522

Hello all,

24 hours later and things are looking up, the ballast was dry this morning so i got out the airbrush and attacked the trackwork, I've gone over with a couple of coats, first precision track dirt then a mixture of weathered concrete and matt black. I still have some more third rail to fit in the depot so once thats done i'l continue with the weathering. 

All masked up being sprayed.

post-6774-0-43519800-1430767598_thumb.jpg

Finished for the time being, need to get on with the shed!

post-6774-0-67165500-1430767606_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-83764000-1430767613_thumb.jpg

Once i'd given the track a good clean and hoover i ran a few trains.

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 17

Great scenery and video Graham, looks spot on! :yes:

One slight adjustment I'd make would be to add a resistor to the ground sig, as I don't even think modern GPLs are that bright!

Keep up the great work,

Jack.

• Like 1

Great scenery and video Graham, looks spot on! :yes:

One slight adjustment I'd make would be to add a resistor to the ground sig, as I don't even think modern GPLs are that bright!

Keep up the great work,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

The GPL does have a resistor on it but i'm running all my lights/signals off a gaugemaster combi so i may need to turn the voltage down a bit.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 1

Hi Graham

The track weathering and ballast looks great, I find depot surroundings difficult to get to look right, some can be overgrown whilst some are oil stained ballast and barren.

Jez

• Like 1

Nice video, I do like the Tractors with the 'Tunnel' embelishments.

The depot area is looking really good too, not overdone either. The depot building looks great, have you made any more progress with the operating door?

Jinty ;-)

• Like 2

Nice update with pictures and video Graham :paint: :sungum:

Thanks Neil, it's getting there slowly.

Hi Graham

The track weathering and ballast looks great, I find depot surroundings difficult to get to look right, some can be overgrown whilst some are oil stained ballast and barren.

Jez

Cheers Jez, there's still a way to go but slow and steady is the order of the day.

Nice video, I do like the Tractors with the 'Tunnel' embelishments.

The depot area is looking really good too, not overdone either. The depot building looks great, have you made any more progress with the operating door?

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty,

Thanks for the comments, I haven't made any progress on the door yet, all seems to work okay i just need to actually get on with it, one thing i have found is i need some sort of weights beneath to help lower the door smoothly, this is a problem with the fiddle yard below so instead i think i'l have to use some springs at 90' to the doors.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 8

What about, that, Liquid Gravity stuff, for adding weight to your doors ? Or bit of brass, to the bottom on the inside ?

Hi David, 

I had thought of using brass along the bottom of the door but its just not heavy enough in such a small area, I've tested it with weights beneath which work fine so i'm going to experiment with some long fine springs which should have enough stretch to allow the door to open.

Nice little video.. :locomotive:

Thanks Neil, once i've got some more scenery/detailing done i'l start making a few more.

Graham.

Hi David, 

I had thought of using brass along the bottom of the door but its just not heavy enough in such a small area, I've tested it with weights beneath which work fine so i'm going to experiment with some long fine springs which should have enough stretch to allow the door to open.

Thanks Neil, once i've got some more scenery/detailing done i'l start making a few more.

Graham.

Some Discount on these, Here.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Another short video of the door going up and down, this time with weights added via some thread attached to the base of the shutter.

Still not all that smooth but getting better.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 7

Hello all,

Another short video of the door going up and down, this time with weights added via some thread attached to the base of the shutter.

Still not all that smooth but getting better.

cheers

Graham.

:O , Who did your sound decoder ?

• Like 3

hello all,

Another days progress,

When i fitted the yard trackwork all the points had motors wired to them ready for connection to a panel and today was panel installation day.

I first drew up a panel diagram on the computer then printed it of onto self adhesive vinyl, once cut out and stuck to the facia i got on with wiring, Another small diode matrix was built so one push of a button sets the whole route, The panel will only control the yard, branch and bay platform so if a train wants to join the main layout it has to be signalled from the main control panel, not interlocking but prevents trains going where they shouldn't.

post-6774-0-35064300-1431201088_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I'm going up another level, (well only a little bit).

When i decided to build the bay and branch line i was just going to run the branch into the tunnel then have maybe one or two short sidings for some units. I sat looking at the space available and then thought why not go a bit further round and build a small terminus. 

The main reason i've done this is to increase the operating potential and also give me an extra couple of scenic sidings. 

My plan is to build an island platform and use Bromley North as a rough guide, (though much smaller).

The tunnel will be just before the point , storage siding to the left, branch continues to the right.

post-6774-0-61385900-1433710415_thumb.jpg

New Terminus testing sizes.

post-6774-0-67975900-1433710471_thumb.jpg

This is an overall view of the chaos, once i've completed all wiring etc most of this area will be hidden with only the branch visible at the back.

post-6774-0-34912500-1433710396_thumb.jpg

In other news, my Dad is in the process of building an Austrian layout and he's got me very interested, so much so that this has arrived.

post-6774-0-72851200-1433710402_thumb.jpg

I'l post more about it in my blog when i get time.

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 5

Hello all,

I'd like to automate the branch station point so that i can alternate between two trains, I think i've worked out how to do it using some Reed switches and Magnets under the units but if anyone can see a problem i'd love to hear from you. 

I'm using two Reed switches on each road so as a train enters the first switch will keep the point set in its current position then when the unit nears the buffers the second switch sets the point to the opposite platform, when the next unit departs the magnet nearest the buffers may change the point back so having the other reed switch will throw it right road as the unit departs the station. I can't think of another way to do it but hopefully it'l work.

post-6774-0-56294600-1434062237.png

cheers

Graham.

• Like 3