Freemo Modules Kipling Foods & Sunnydale Industrial area

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray, I might add one more but I don't want to crowd it too much as there will be car spots on the loop. Follow Lance Mindheims observations of real industrial areas I'm aiming for simplicity over lots of sidings. Multiple spots on the single track spur will require pulling out 3-4 cars though so do I add another mini board between the freemo module and the Park or can I legitimately pull out onto the main?

• RMweb Gold

I guess it's not going to be intensive traffic but I'm not sure what sort of dispatching control there will be yet. I can switch it round to keep switching contained within the Park but if there's an option that's realistic to pull out onto the main it would make operation more interesting than it just being a self contained switching layout.

• RMweb Gold

Ok fully re-reading the main thread! I've got the option to pull out on the main and with the position I'm just playing with full size arrangements that keep the space but enough to do if it's a standalone at home. A cunning plan has emerged ;)

If I drop the runround for now, it can be added on another board later if I want. I'm going to have the two facing spurs rather than both in from the same direction. The facing spurs can all be worked from a short trip working from Fort Myers. The trailing ones can be worked by a seperate trip, as suggested by Lance M in the current Model Rr Planning, giving an excuse for more moves plus keeping the trains short.

Just need to get the legs done once I get some adjustable feet, job for the weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Ok finalised plan with potential 16 spots to serve marked with red, just need to decide what is what industry wise.

edit: I've now added Industry names and the grey bits to show the bigger world.

post-6968-0-91940200-1394431987.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

Liking this!

I think you're right, it needs 2 separate jobs to serve it, once with the industries one way, once with the other - you should just about be able to do either one clear of the main now though which is nice.

I guess you would want to keep it fairly low-intensity to give you space to work too, you'd tie yourself in knots if you had to handle moves to/from all spots!

Nice referencing work on the industry names as well. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think you're right, it needs 2 separate jobs to serve it, once with the industries one way, once with the other - you should just about be able to do either one clear of the main now though which is nice.

I guess you would want to keep it fairly low-intensity to give you space to work too, you'd tie yourself in knots if you had to handle moves to/from all spots!

Yes up to 16 potential spots but with 2 or 3 cars at a time in would be fine and usually only about half full. Advantage is that it could be more intensively worked when operated as a stand alone layout.

Nice referencing work on the industry names as well. ;)

I tried to be subtle ;)

Your other alternative would be a double-headed consist goods that goes up the branch to switch the industrial site, and the crew changes engines, using them individually to switch facing and trailing spurs - not uncommon and something we had in the last few months on a youtube video at a plant - one loco remained in the clear while the other switched. Might be an interesting variation for a freemo set-up.

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Ah interesting, well if it has a prototypical reason and there's a spare loco then I suppose it's another option. Probably a good solution if there were a lot of cars to spot or collect at once with a couple of geeps. There's also the option to pre place Whedon Industries Trackmobile, sort of hired to another business on the park, to do the reverse shunts.

As the BLI one only has a coupling one end it would have to be driven off track to turn by hand ;)

The non- operating coupler pulls out and can be replaced - http://www.carendt.com/contest/info.html - and some discussion about what is needed here http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/123834.aspx

- and for anyoneone who feels the need for one in N scale http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?31760-Trackmobile

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well thanks to the suggestions I looked into adding a second working coupler. The dummy is actually way too high and looks so different I decided to use it to mount the coupler. I cut down a 58 and drilled through the shank and fixed that to the bottom of the dummy making it near perfect height. It doesn't flex at present so I'll test it later to see if I need any movement.

Here against the height gauge

post-6968-0-35644300-1394566765.jpg

And I don't think the original dummy really shows against it.

post-6968-0-21453600-1394566777.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Testing the Trackmobile it was happy with three Bachmann Polybulks which weren't totally free rolling. Hopefully more full size plans tomorrow with the buildings so I can start laying track.

post-6968-0-53360800-1395170654.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well a setback on the layout, the damp issue has continued and two of the pieces of cut ply were covered in mould, bizarrely another one just seems to have got mould on the middle laminate!

I scrapped those and will get another piece cut next week so it's only set me back a tiny bit.

On the plus side I found all the track and buildings in the pile and sorted out which ones are going to be re-used.

Unfortunately these aren't edible to offset the collecting! but they were impressive at 4 inch diameter and loads of them.

298E03F5-298E-4F55-9FA0-FD4C6B761A0C.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Close to running but not finished ;) , got an extra point today as I needed a Right rather than left. Need to replace the two mouldy bits of ply but the frame is fine.

I'm drawing out the full size plan so I can get on with the buildings as not going to be able to finish the woodwork for a couple of weeks due to work and other commitments.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been looking at adjustable feet to meet the module standards, yep this is a real stonker! ;)

All I was finding in the uk was U brackets that screw on the side of the leg which look horrible, need more room and risk splitting the ends of the legs screwing in near the end.

So . .

I found some that screw into T nuts but with post from the US they were a silly price. Search Amazon and I found sets of 4 with the U brackets for just over £7 incl post and then ordered T nuts to the same M8 thread.

So for less than £2 per leg I know have ones that give the required 1/2 inch each way, (50mm length thread), height adjustment in line with the leg :)

I needed 14 as the main module needs 4 as does the core board for the non freemo industrial park part. So Freemo 6 feet in total and the 'park' takes another 8.

Next to cut the main junction freemo board ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Full size plans complete and woodwork cut so now time to screw it all up, oops, together!
The legs are 50mm long threads in T nuts to give the adjustment required in the module standard.
post-6968-0-36273200-1399036993.jpg

And the plan
post-6968-0-32101200-1399030601.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

The track on the edge will have a low wall to protect it and a clear perspex buffer at the end to prevent the long drop.

The top board of the Park. I've slewed the track nearest the camera over to ease the curve to the Freemo mainline point as it was pushing the limit.
post-6968-0-35420400-1399038272.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Sitting thinking about the turnouts and how to operate them with dcc.

As this will be an operation as the real thing layout rather than an illusion of mini men layout as such I'm thinking a small slide switch set into the board so you have to 'go' to the turnout to move it and it switch the frog polarity too.

Now I could mount it underneath and have a pushrod at the board edge is another thought.

Need to find the switch box and measure up the throw.