Freemo Modules Kipling Foods & Sunnydale Industrial area

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Always slow starting but hey deadlines are good :)
Tonight track is down, point switches will be here Thursday so hopefully trains running within the week on the whole lot ;)

post-6968-0-70039500-1404021416.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Peco point 2.5mm throw, the big switches I had are 3mm throw but the FF77J sub mini ones in Maplin are still 3mm throw and much more acceptable size wise. Now do I mount them next to the switch or wire and tube?

post-6968-0-35877700-1400168041.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It occured to me that how do I make sure all the adjustable feet start at the nominal right height?

So while at the modelling supply shop picking up some paint and epoxy mixing sticks I spotted this handy gadget on the counter!

And what d'you know they gave it to me for free :)

post-6968-0-70199300-1400186679.jpg

• Like 1

For use on carpet, I took a 2" pipe cap, drilled a hole in the center, put a carriage bolt through with a keeper nut on the inside (shaft of the screw up though the cap, head of the screw on the outside of the end).  Then screwed that into the tee nut in the bottom of the leg.  It might take rounding the corners of the 2x2 leg to fit the leg into the pipe cap.  It creates a nice wide surface for the carpet and as a bonus its easier to adjust with your hand because its easy to grip.

Peco point 2.5mm throw, the big switches I had are 3mm throw but the FF77J sub mini ones in Maplin are still 3mm throw and much more acceptable size wise. Now do I mount them next to the switch or wire and tube?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Be careful if using such switches for powering the frog. Some of those types are "make before break", and will short the track as you throw the turnout.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well all the boards legs are on now and it stands at the right height :)

Cut the cork for the actual freemo modules too so now the track can go down on there.

So tonight I turned to the shiny stock that's been collecting over the last few years. Played with Tamiya acrylics for this set to try and get the rusty roof with light dirt on the sides. It's not going to threaten the best weathering but it looks better than out the box to me.

post-6968-0-41176400-1401825407.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Tonight's work was some bracing for the legs and toning down the MKT GPs. Only got one loco started and it still needs work but the light got too bad and the boss has borrowed my daylight lamp for her crafting. I'll need to hardwire some chips too and it won't be sound for this event as too many other things to do.

Still it makes a difference . . .

post-6968-0-87384700-1401915165.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Three weeks to go! ish ;)

Well the boss is away so the yard is set up in the lounge and the freemo boards are in the garage! Work has been rather busy recently so it rather delayed things but the last three days have seen rapid progress and although track isn't pinned down it will be this weekend. I've been cutting up the buildings seen earlier as they seemed too tall so I've got two out of one of them and the other looks much better with the low warehouses. Got quite a few days off in the next two weeks so I'll be ready to run and I'm hoping to have the scenery fairly well advanced if not finely detailed. Should be fine for operation and there's plenty of time to detail stuff later.

All the stock is sorted though I still haven't got the decoders in the locos so I might have to rely on others or just play with the trackmobile! Layout is the priority and I could even solder in the decoder friday night if I get the tool kit together (incl the programmer!)

• RMweb Gold

Now the buildings are nearly done I needed some signs so I googled various signs for ideas then set about this. A couple are inspired by Swiss signs from my RhB layout with a Sunnydale twist ;)

post-6968-0-63328500-1403316506.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Todays work was finishing off the buildings.

I lined up the buildings for both the spurs on one board facing each other:-

The plan below shows the actual locations.

So on the left in this picture is Gellar Packing with Chase beyond and on the right Whedon industries with the Bronze beyond.

post-6968-0-90409600-1403376052.jpg

A frontal shot of Gellar packing

post-6968-0-85555600-1403376096.jpg

Sunnydale Produce progressing but still needs lots of details.

post-6968-0-66997300-1403376159.jpg

post-6968-0-62335000-1403376410.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Well I didn't quite get ballast down but will do tomorrow and if the weather holds it should dry too.
Forgot the camera until I'd put the big board back in the garage but it's all wired and working :)
I did find I needed to line up the end 3" track with a square as doing it by eye was well off the mark!
Here's the two boards ready for ballast and ground cover.

post-6968-0-20377800-1404021563.jpg

post-6968-0-09570100-1404021571.jpg

BUS wiring in place and sockets ready to connect it up. Does need some clips to retain it still.
post-6968-0-88603800-1403629432.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ahhhh me back! Two freemo boards ballasted and basic green down and tested! Three industrial park boards track finished and wiring just needs the inter board sockets! All now back up two flights of stairs in the flat.

Time for a drink and lots of ice cream!

Scenic chaos for a week and a bit, as it's all flat we should have something presentable if not finely detailed.

Side of the rails still needs doing but that can happen if there's time. It works which is the main thing this time.

post-6968-0-74050600-1403713677.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gellar Packaging is the project for the next couple of days. The ground needs building up for the road and to seat the buildings in so they will remain removable to minimise storage size.
Then the track where the boxcars are will be set into the surface.

post-6968-0-49308300-1404021645.jpg

post-6968-0-04578900-1403716604.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Inlaid track and buildings set in, just waiting for the paving to dry. Forgot to add some black to the mix! Ah well it's meant to be concrete and it tends to show as a lighter colour on fresh breaks.

post-6968-0-35659700-1403933954.jpg

post-6968-0-31018700-1403933944.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3