Freemo Modules Kipling Foods & Sunnydale Industrial area

PaulRhB

Really good work Paul - i'd agree it was great fun to switch - a nice challenge in terms of thinking through the required moves, especially without a runround, but not hard work - and a really original addition to the modules in existence.

I think we can use your "plain" 45deg curve as a standalone curve if neccesary also, which adds to the flexibility?

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, I didn't get a train that went in that direction. :cry:

I asked for jobs to the bits I needed 'to sign' Nick :)

I think we can use your "plain" 45deg curve as a standalone curve if neccesary also, which adds to the flexibility?

Yes and I'll beef up the legs on the junction board too as they went a bit wonky! Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well as we are now getting serious about plans for this year I better say what I'm up to.

The two 45 degree curved boards I built for last year were basic and a bit bulky so I've revised the design and also decided the boards I built for the Britmod meet will be used for the US version for now and I'll do something else for that as I have ideas ;)

Three boards are built and ready to go so I took off the UK track and US style will be going on next week.

We found the short link to Sunnydale was a bit restrictive so I now have a 5ft link board.

The new boards are in blue with sizes. The link board pushes Sunnydale further out to ease deciding where to place it in a plan.post-6968-0-89700300-1436870163_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

Intriguing. :)

Are the curves and junction usable individually?

I can see a different way of handling ops here presenting itself, you could use the link as an interchange track, though you'd then need two switchers on-site to handle the local work...?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

you could use the link as an interchange track, though you'd then need two switchers on-site to handle the local work...?

I can provide the Trackmobile and you're allowed to drive it round, (by hand), using the two road crossings. Might have to get round to chipping the MP15 as a second if that how you want to operate it.

There's another new board added, King Coal. Only 3 x 1.5ft with two sidings.

More soon.

post-6968-0-25728900-1439295331.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

With how the setup ended up I think the Sunnydale industries will be switched as part of an industrial job based at Fort Myers (which also handles the industries there) - how it's written at the moment it'll:

1. List pickups from Fort Myers yard
2. List the moves at the "Shove" industries at Sunnydale (Whedon, Beck, Produce)
3. List any moves to/from the Fort Myers industry tracks

4. List the moves at the "Pull" industries at Sunnydale (Gellar, Chase)
5. List the setouts back to Fort Myers yard

You can then work it as 3 "mini workings" with the one switcher going to Sunnydale on the correct end of cars each time, or go off-piste and use a second one at Sunnydale, or top and tail, or whatever you like really as long as the right cars end up at the right place....

King Coal fits in nicely over on the Highlands branch, that'll be a fun job now as it'll now need a shoving platform up the street trackage as the reworked Highlands plan Chris has done hasn't got a runround... ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok with the five new boards all working and starting to play with scenery I've started musing on a yard.

This shows the two 5x1 boards either end and there would be one or two boards in between that are just 5 straight tracks so extendable to whatever I can fit in. Initially I'm thinking three so just one 5ft extension at first which will give three 10ft classification sidings.

There's a small switching lead that with the arrival road gives room to shunt a few boxcars without blocking the main and the main through track gives a runround and longer switching lead when no trains approaching.

I'm intending a scenic filler triangle to match the 18inch width as this will fit in the car easier.

The two sidings bottom left are loco storage and the rip track could also be used for that with a narrow service shed.

post-6968-0-85531600-1443710331.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
Prof Klyzlr, on 08 Mar 2017 - 00:44, said:

Dear Paul,

And what was the reaction to flying a drone in the hall over the layout?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Next time we'll have a Triang Battle Space train strategically parked in one of the yards. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Dear Paul,

And what was the reaction to flying a drone in the hall over the layout?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Well scale drone maybe ;) I had to help it carry the iPhone though so it just looked like me holding a camera above my head ;)

• RMweb Gold

Next time we'll have a Triang Battle Space train strategically parked in one of the yards. :sungum:

Or one of those Lima Leopold guns ;)

While I was doing the montage I was thinking you could model just one industry on the same layout with different parts of the plant served by the sidings. For some reason I was thinking about a cake factory :)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well we have a heatwave so what is the most likely problem with the layout? a leak??? !!!!!!!!!

Sunnydale got a soaking when the one odd night of rain revealed some damage to the garage roof. That was easily fixed but Sunnydale was right underneath and got a fair soaking so the Gellar side got quite badly damaged with the cork underneath lifting. I dried it outside in the sun but it really needed ripping up and starting again.

So with silver linings to this cloud and there was already some warping due to the thin frames, and the soaking hasn't helped, so I've decided to replace it with something better built. As I have now used up some of the space in the spare room it would only fit up in the lounge and wasn't getting used much so something a little narrower will ease things and let me leave it up in the spare room so I've revised the plan from the U shape.

An initial plan using the same length as Sunnydale with Spikes scrap and most of the track can be reused.

post-6968-0-24525000-1530695560_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Paul, slightly confused - are you replacing the complete Sunnydale area, or just the Gellar side?  If you are replacing the complete area, how does the new section fit?  I never got to see the layout in real life, but love the concept you came up with.

BTW, a L-O-N-G time ago, I went to school , for a while, in Salisbury.

• RMweb Gold

No this will replace all of Sunnydale. This will hopefully be stage 1 ;)

I'm not trying more than that for Armitage!

The othe leg of the U was already warped by about half an inch because I tried to fit so much in a tiny box with a thin frame. It hasn't stood up well to living in the garage so I'm going for ply 100mm deep frames to eliminate the warping.

Hopefully ;)

You don't want to be in salisbury at the mo, like a police playground!!!! ;)

You don't want to be in salisbury at the mo, like a police playground!!!! ;)

Fortunately I'm far, far away at the other end of the country - breeding Haggii! (Haggises). Thanks for the info - Shall look forward to seeing your further ideas!

Edited by shortliner