Where are the Hornby models?

Much will depend on the bedding-in of new supply arrangements, and ability to get good quality models on shop shelves, including virtual shelves. It's the intentions of the company which are most interesting, and the way they express their plans.

The description a few posts back of the leveraged buyout by a J P Morgan and resultant unprofitability of Sanda Kan is interesting, and it's not the first time I have seen such effects of such 'enterprise', sadly. That said, there could be more to it than just the buy-out and debt, skilled labour cost being another aspect.

It will be brilliant if Hornby can come through this and keep producing things as good as their recent best, as in the 'Star' and other non-Sanda Kan models. What an interesting month-or-two to come!

• RMweb Gold

I think if GWR toplights were to appear with as much brevity, I'd be in a comatose state until 2015 anyway...

Probably my preferred choice of conveyance through the pearly gates or into Dai Woodhams sidings,which is probably when I'll make connection ( or not ) with them.

Hang on a minute though,there's a bloke on this forum just started his own venture,isn't there....name of Jones, I believe? Nice new locos lined up but no passenger rolling stock.....hmmm...Wonder if...oh well....be nice though,wouldn't it ?

Bless you for your unfailing optimism,Rob.You are unquestionably the Braveheart of this topic!

My reading of the last interim report gives me a Simon Kohler-like optimism, in that there is no hint of quality RTR 00 being sidelined in 2014. Delayed maybe.

Also I came back to model railways in 2004 after leaving my Hornby Dublo 3-rail then 2 rail and Airfix models behind in 1967 for other adventures, or mis-adventures, so I compare the models of the last 12-15 years with those of those much earlier days, and the pleasures are very comparable; creating scenes, dioramas and photos, and similar suspension of disbelief is required, even if the latest models are much more detailed, and fragile.

Hornby wants to keep producing quality RTR 00 as well as trainsets, Corgi, Airfix and other brands including European, and presumably they are fairly expert, or have access to expertise in the manufacture and distribution of these products?

Quite so, Stationmaster.

However, right at this moment, the debacle of the Great Gathering and the non-availability of A4 models at that event, even though sponsored by Hornby, left me wondering and very curious as to the eventual quality of the 6 models presumably now finished and accepted and soon to be distributed. Have Hornby been able to maintain their best standard of very high quality short production runs? Will they be able to repeat such production at a profit?

Will they be torn-to-shreds by critics who find the beading on the side of a tender just too awful for words, or somesuch 'pennyworth of tar' error?

It will be the cash-generating models which have priority, and I very much hope that models to my taste (unashamedly selfish of me) will prove profitable AND be a long term part of Hornby's business.

Right now I am finishing a photo of a Hornby Duchess 46252 'City of Leicester' with the later-model pony truck design and in black with early BR 'British Railways' on the tender side, all weathered, and without checking I think it would be post-2008 after a tooling upgrade, when life was simple and we expected new models of this calibre or better as normal. Whether accountants would see such models as a good idea I do not know, given the complexities of such as tool banks and manufacturing capability.

edit; I am thankful that Hornby has produced many models of this standard or better, pic here just to explain why I like the company!

post-7929-0-98368300-1385960143_thumb.jpg

Always optimistic,

Rob

Reply to OLDHARRY re Hornby Accounts: (I cannot seem to get my "reply quoting this post" button to work anymore): I did read the accounts thoroughly and saw a write-down of £150k for the MZ failure, which is not stock in hand. I am assured that Hornby held title to all the MZ stock unless sold, which much of it was not, as Hornby did not allow discounting, even during the rundown In the Administration period. The actual amount of stock held, either as a result of that ongoing policy or as a direct result of the MZ failure, is not declared, but that policy has always ensured a significant  in hand figure within their accounts. I do not know, but would presume this also applies to their other non-model-rail stock at MZ. If this policy is repeated with WHS and also exists with other chains, one would expect to see a high in-hand figure. Other companies tend to hand accounting "ownership", and thus liability, to their retailers, and get them off the books. This comment, perhaps not fully explained, was made to counter the possibility suggested by others that all this stock was being held unsold in some big warehouse. If you have a better explanation, please make it.

£150k yes, £3m no.

• RMweb Gold

I just had a look on Hornby.com and most of the steam loco's are shown as 'STOCK NOTIFICATION'. Even some of the special offers have this restriction.

No sign of 'Glastonbury Abbey' yet.

Probably to be released as a 'Festival Special Edition' coinciding with the summer 2014 event.Book your farmer's field now.

Glastonbury 2014 sold out in the space of two days. no doubt Hornby are hoping that it's an omen for their Glastonbury :jester:

The Monty Python concert sold out in 10 seconds.  So Hornby could produce 60035 - Parrot.  In Norwegian blue livery

Mike

• RMweb Gold

With syncho-pining sounds.

Also they can sub-contract it to low-quality factories - it only has to last half an hour from leaving the shop!

Fantastic detail, amazing livery...

This is getting silly... :-p

I'm surprised this thread hasn't descended into ridicule and silliness long before now - they are common traits in human behaviour when people are bored waiting for something to happen arrive  (unless they are rioting or drunk).

I'm getting slightly anxious lest all my advance orders ship in at once.  Funding the GG collection isn't exactly going to be easy; it looks as though DoG will get here at the same time.  Too much more and my overdraft limit will be hard against the buffers come the New Year.  So please Hornby, Great Snipe and the double tender Bittern can wait a just a little bit longer, can't they?

• RMweb Gold

I'm getting slightly anxious lest all my advance orders ship in at once.  Funding the GG collection isn't exactly going to be easy; it looks as though DoG will get here at the same time.  Too much more and my overdraft limit will be hard against the buffers come the New Year.  So please Hornby, Great Snipe and the double tender Bittern can wait a just a little bit longer, can't they?

The advantage of late deliveries is that you can save, you can even put the savings in a bank and get 0.0000001% interest on them if you find them uncomfortable under the mattress.  Mind you as other folk are introducing stuff which is arriving you have to be strong-willed and avoid spending on that instead.  i wonder how quickly the NRM L&Y tank would have sold if Hornby had been delivering various things in the past month?

• RMweb Premium

Given the immense trouble that Hornby have with their manufacturing in China, why is our dear leader David Cameron currently in China, trying to increase still further UK business involvement with the People's Republic?

If as I understand his idea is a free trade agreement, then there should be no import tariffs so our models should cost less...

Modelfair are saying that all Hornby items are now delayed until 2014 except a list of 7 model engines 1 train pack and a fish van which 'could' be this month or Jan 2014. (as in 'eagerly anticipated products', expected this month or January 2014 'at the latest') The engines are Paviland Grange, 2 Castles, (Penrice and Wellington), DoG both versions, DoG trainpack, and WC Exeter (already pre-sold) and B1 61270.

It may be that they are speaking only of their own offerings, not other retailers.

No mention of Glastonbury Abbey. But then, odd things happen with Hornby deliveries.

Hornby have their weathered 01 on special at £89 on their website. If I recall correctly a contributor here said be was still waiting for that particular Hornby model.

Given the immense trouble that Hornby have with their manufacturing in China, why is our dear leader David Cameron currently in China, trying to increase still further UK business involvement with the People's Republic?

You've got to be joking. Show me the western economy which does not use Chinese manufacturing. Or are you against trade and wish to block economic co-operation?

We in NZ have a free trade deal with China, but it is a lot more complex than simply 'no tariffs'.

I'm sorry but I find the idea that 'immense trouble that Hornby have' in China is not much different than if they had a sole supplier in Denmark who went bust after a leveraged bank buyout.

If you don't like the People's Republic then stop using anything made there. iPhones, computer chips, and so on.

Sorry if I have over-reacted but I am avowedly pro-trade.

Rob (NZ)

Modelfair are saying that all Hornby items are now delayed until 2014 except a list of 7 model engines 1 train pack and a fish van which 'could' be this month or Jan 2014. (as in 'eagerly anticipated products', expected this month or January 2014 'at the latest') The engines are Paviland Grange, 2 Castles, (Penrice and Wellington), DoG both versions, DoG trainpack, and WC Exeter (already pre-sold) and B1 61270.

Without a detail analysis, it is difficult to say I agree, or disagree. By the trade website, there are certainly a lot less models listed as still to come, but there are so many dates that are already long past (including February and March 2013 - not 2014) that once again, it is difficult to see the wood for the trees. For example, if the dates are to be believed,4 of the Great Gathering A4s have been at Margate for nearly a month!

Glastonbury Abbey is shown as arriving at Margate week commencing December 23rd, when they are closed for Christmas/New Year holidays!

EDIT: Just seen a post elsewhere that states that 4 x A4 are indeed at Hornby.

Slightly off topic - popped in-to that large toy shop in Regent Street tonight.

Mainly just to get a few of those concession 'graffiti' Railroad MGR wagons for a childs Christmas 'stocking filler'.

But always worth looking to see what's still in stock and what isn't.

Noticed that quite a few of the Modelzone East Coast Mk3's have found there way there - TF, TRUB and TGS. All still at RRP.

But no power cars so you win some, you lose some.

Lots and lots of Railroad (including that dreadful Warship - will it ever sell?).

Some noticably damaged stock - in particular the 'multi coloured' twenty tonne brake van.

Though quite a few reduced locomotives (reflecting Hornby's recent sale?) including the Arriva Class 67.

But more notably including the Blue Class 56 reduced to £100 if anyone is still after this.

However I discovered the latest GBRF 'Limby' Class 66 being sold for £123(!) - a price on a par with some of the recent Bachmann Limited Editions.

Needless to say I pointed this out to the gentleman (Hornby Rep) concerned, who at first refused to believe me. Finally the floor manager checked the price, not only was the ticket on the box wrong but there was a data input error on the system.

Archived