Where are the Hornby models?

Ah the Clan is even better than the Britannia in a few respects of detail, like chimney, but the two I have came without coal. It must have been a one-off, coal with the Brit? Maybe coal supply in China is not so easy in some factories.

At risk of repeating myself, I think the Clan is in modelling terms the best Hornby have done ever. Add weathering and artistic licence, and...

post-7929-0-29597600-1386464368.jpg

post-7929-0-31093000-1386464490.jpg

Working on a B1 now...  which is very comparable for quality. Have to add steps couplings and other bits and pieces from the detail pack, which will give I think a potentially good photo.

post-7929-0-52265400-1386465593.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

edit; oops I was delayed when preparing this reply and posted it without reading your excellent observations about packaging and wishes/hopes/predictions about Hornby.  I generally agree about the packaging, keeping things undamaged in the earlier packaging was a bit tricky.

can't resist it, I took several pics., as you do, and am beginning to see a nice pic developing

so the answer to the question, "where are the Hornby models?" is, in some shops, or second hand,  and they are often very good!

B1 'Sir Harold Mitchell' in BR running condition, with Scottish Region curved fillets at ends of running plate, which I note in passing is slightly bent upwards in the middle, a common fault of Hornby 01 models, less so with B1s. 

Will add front details soon. And add some sort of shed scene perhaps...

post-7929-0-58887100-1386468026.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I find it very interesting - and indeed almost paralleling what is happening in the retail trade - that this thread is turning into a discussion about older models obtained, it seems, secondhand or in weathered form.  Maybe Hornby still has some hope when its older products take centreplace in a discussion such as this while its new ones are tardy in their arrival.  Keep it up chaps, it can be  far more interesting than moans about delayed models!

In a conversación with Hornby cuesto re services this morning, they stabled that the B1 R3114 would not be delivered to shops before Christmas but would be delivered "early next year". Does not look good for the other models due before Christmas.

Your weathering looks exquisite.

Perhaps you could do a thread describing the process you use?

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Thanks, the weathering of the B1 and several others I have shown is by linesideandlocos1 of Wolverhampton using spray and dry brushing and hand-detailing, and the photos are with a Canon SX150is point-and-shoot 14.1 MP camera, and quite changed about with Paint Shop Pro 6 software.

I have a small and easily changed diorama on a desk top near windows with good indirect natural light, and I use a reading lamp to highlight things/replicate sunlight angles.

My skills in actual modelling are limited by spinal injury from a bad motorbike crash many years ago, wheelchair, also loss of most functions in my right hand and arm, but I can get basic thing done ok with a numb claw-like r/h grip and a good left hand. And I have an advantage in perhaps more leisure than some, am not usually disposed to mention the above 'limitations', since we all have them!

Cheers,  and a different angle here repeating the recent B1 model, (another in pipeline)

Rob

post-7929-0-28304300-1386623723_thumb.jpg

Model Railways Direct are now listing the Castle Class Wellington as 'due 2014'. This has very recently changed from the 16/12/2013, so I'd imagine the lack of a specific date has been borne out of very understandable exasperation on MRD's part! 

Wasn't this originally slated to be a Q4 2012 release?

Hornby: what a way to run a business... 

Rob

Your photos of Hornby's B1 at posts 882, 883 and 889 above - I feel a David Shepherd painting coming upon us. Excellent!

John

Thank you very much, it's a pleasure.

Here is another picture of the same Hornby B1 61243 model, with not much in the way of editing. I'm not sure but I think these models are still available here and there, this one is helped by aftermarket weathering.

Any excuse to show off a nice model!

post-7929-0-67602000-1386816752.jpg

I would like to see one of these out soon by Hornby, try and get one is like  getting hen's teeth now!.

Good versions on Ebay often make over £100...   if well-weathered, quite a lot more.

Lovely photo, by the way.

All money NOT going to Hornby, sad to say, from the point of view of that august company.

Rob

Good versions on Ebay usually make about sometimes over £100...   if well-weathered, quite a lot more.

Lovely photo, by the way.

All money NOT going to Hornby, sad to say, from the point of view of that august company.

Rob

Hi 

I agree they are going for silly money on Ebay, far more than they are worth, you could pick them up new for £110-£125 at one time.

I not happy paying these prices  for second hand models.

this is why i said Hornby should do these, they sell well and Hornby have all the tooling for them, cost kept down as well.

Darren

Not sure about the availability of tooling after Sanda Kan went bust and Hornby has had to find new factories and contracts to use those that they owned, or owed the right to use.

I'm not sure that all factories have the right facilities for the use of Hornby-owned dies and tools, and there may be other complicating factors like production set up, testing, different labour and assembly teams, quality control, so it's not as simple as 'they own the tools so it should be cheap', especially for short runs.

On the other hand they have been advertising spam cans in recent catalogue announcements, so I might be completely wrong.

• RMweb Premium

I See in this months Hornby mag ther's something called the Hornby Young Modellers club. Being 51, I of course read it. It tells about all the exciting announcements in 2013 and predicts the Duke of Gloucester train pack with Mk1s should be available before Christmas. Want to take bets?   It also refers ti the Great Gathering. Haven't these models still to reach the shops and even if you wanted one aren't they all now subscribed for? Simon Kohler promising plenty of new and exciting items , a closely guarded secret . announced December 16th

On a plus note I've just taken delivery of some Chocolate and Cream Mk1s (£15.25 from Model Railways Direct- great service guys!)they look very nice indeed.

• RMweb Premium

I pondered this question three months ago to the day, after nearly 50,000 viewings and 900+ comments we will know on Monday.

Apart from the wish lists which detail all the models we would like to see in the announcement, I am sure I write for everyone when I hope that Hornby resolve the issues that have plagued them in the near past and get back to their rightful place at the forefront of our hobby IMHO a healthy Hornby means a healthy hobby, and it would be good to see Simon Kohler with  something happy to report, he has borne the brunt of our frustrations with broad shoulders and a fair amount of dignity even when people have more or less held him personally responsible for Hornby's mistakes/misfortunes. 

So a happy Xmas and New Year to RMweb members and a happy Xmas and New Year to Hornby, May all your models be super detailed!

............... and it would be good to see Simon Kohler with  something happy to report, he has borne the brunt of our frustrations with broad shoulders and a fair amount of dignity even when people have more or less held him personally responsible for Hornby's mistakes/misfortunes. 

You are being less than fair to right-minded people on this forum........... We are not numpties by any stretch of the imagination. Simon Kohler told modellers at an exhibition the 12-spoke wheels on the 'Star' were correct.  I read somewhere on RMweb that Hornby is offering to exchange the bogie wheels for 10-spoke wheels............ that doesn't say much for Simon's outburst does it! He gets paid to be the personal link between Hornby and buyer. When PR men start bullsh*tting knowledgeable railway modellers, they do their company no favours.

Archived