Where are the Hornby models?

• RMweb Premium

Modelfair are saying that all Hornby items are now delayed until 2014 except a list of 7 model engines 1 train pack and a fish van which 'could' be this month or Jan 2014.

Modelfair's website is today showing the Fish vans (individual and triple pack) plus the newspaper version as 'Just In' and available to 'buy now'.

I trust I'm reading their web listing correctly, but thats what I'm seeing and I'm surprised no one has posted this info earlier.

Regards,

John

Edit to add:

I see that posts in the thread specific to these models were in fact advising availability at other stockists around mid November.

Given the immense trouble that Hornby have with their manufacturing in China, why is our dear leader David Cameron currently in China, trying to increase still further UK business involvement with the People's Republic?

He probably just trying to smooth over the upset caused by this thread!!!!!!!!   :O  

Or he's a closet modeller who has given up waiting for the Great Gathering A4s to arrive and is picking them up in person? :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Given the immense trouble that Hornby have with their manufacturing in China, why is our dear leader David Cameron currently in China, trying to increase still further UK business involvement with the People's Republic?

But you don't know what's on his Christmas list - maybe he's cutting out the Margate middle man?

Hi

I believe that we will not see any of the new models this year and even early next year, even the older range has stopped coming out from Hornby.

The list of back orders items is huge and I think that most of it will not be out next year and will be put back again.

I think, and this is just me there is a lot more to this than we know, the next six month will tell use what state Hornby are in financially .

I would be very surprised if anything hit the shops this year,something is very wrong at Hornby towers.

My local shop is dyeing on it feet and he looks like he may not be in Business next year , he has had no orders come in from Hornby for the last few month.

I feel very sorry for anyone running a model railway shop, and it just not Hornby who are not getting anything to the shops.

This has to be the worst year ever for the trade.

Darren01

Hi

I believe that we will not see any of the new models this year and even early next year, even the older range has stopped coming out from Hornby.

The list of back orders items is huge and I think that most of it will not be out next year and will be put back again.

I think, and this is just me there is a lot more to this than we know, the next six month will tell use what state Hornby are in financially .

I would be very surprised if anything hit the shops this year,something is very wrong at Hornby towers.

My local shop is dyeing on it feet and he looks like he may not be in Business next year , he has had no orders come in from Hornby for the last few month.

I feel very sorry for anyone running a model railway shop, and it just not Hornby who are not getting anything to the shops.

This has to be the worst year ever for the trade.

Darren01

So no red boxes or blue boxes under the Chrissie tree then?

Maybe we've all been too naughty and are getting a lump of coal!  :cry:

So no red boxes or blue boxes under the Chrissie tree then?

Maybe we've all been too naughty and are getting a lump of coal!  :cry:

Agreed, because, despite this being a Hornby thread, the reality is that the delivery situation from Bachmann is little better. Take the Dukedog for example, now long past the much vaunted Bachmann 18 month cycle. It is a dire time for the independent dealers, they are relying more and more upon sales of used stock to make their livings.

The 2030 government will get it in the neck for the late delivery dates for the 12 inches to the foot scale model of the HS2 

Do I get the feeling there'll be a Fire Sale of remaining Hornby stock in the not too distant future?

Probably not. Turnover looks steady so they must be turning over a reasonable amount in other business areas and other product than model & toy trains.
The extended credit line from the bank may be an issue though and with no model or toy trains to sell during the peak season, that normally accounts for more than two thirds of the groups annual sales, the figures will only look worst next time round. Unless they can sell enough Airfix, slot cars, Corgi etc, etc. to make up the shortfall.

?

Agreed, because, despite this being a Hornby thread, the reality is that the delivery situation from Bachmann is little better. Take the Dukedog for example, now long past the much vaunted Bachmann 18 month cycle. It is a dire time for the independent dealers, they are relying more and more upon sales of used stock to make their livings.

And how long has the class 40 been in arriving!!!

Thankfully the delays does give me chance to catch up on some passed releases.  With online shopping having a huge presence, (especially for us overseas shoppers) It seems very unlikely that even if there are some products released they will not arrive in time to go under the tree. 

I also collect W Britain soldiers and they have been thin on the ground with missed release dates. 

Went to my local model shop last Friday to buy a new Hornby SPV, having seen that they were in stock at Hattons some days previously. Model shop had none, and I don't think had ever had any, and they are now also out of stock at Hattons. What did Hornby do, produce a handful and distribute them to a limited number of retailers ? Regardless, the period during which when I have spent precisely nothing on Hornby products has become even longer.

• RMweb Gold

I know there is a big delay in releases but I was in my local model shop this afternoon and the shelves and display cases were well filled with items in both red and blue boxes, including the more recent releases (Star, 2-8-0T, Mk1s).

David

• RMweb Gold

Not living in the UK, I grabbed the chance while holidaying in Blighty in September to bowse a couple of Model shops in the south, both were full of redboxes, although most of them seems to be faded by exposure to the sunlight! Obviously not a quick turnover there

I was able to pick up a three pack of fish vans at Monk Bar Models (York-usual disclaimer, satisfied customer, no connection etc) last Friday, they also had the singles and parcels versions in stock at the time so they have been out there, and not just at the big box-shifters.

Cheers

J

The 2030 government will get it in the neck for the late delivery dates for the 12 inches to the foot scale model of the HS2 

Don't forget that HS1 was on time and on budget (as far as I recall) and that the terminal at Waterloo was the only part of the infrastructure London-Paris-Brussels was ready to open on time (Nov '93). The service only started Nov 94...

If only we can get the d****d thing built we'll benifit (and the £32M is over 15years). One great thing about a self-contained project is that it doesn't have the opertunity to leak money at the interfaces of the existing railway as the West Coast Main Line did.

Someone get me a shovel!

Luke

• RMweb Gold

My 'local' still had some on the shelf ysterday, though I didn't see any 3-packs. Very nice but they're the same sort as my kit-built ones so I wasn't tempted.

He's expecting another delivery at the end of the week; I'm hoping that will contain at least one of the items I do have on order.

John

I was able to pick up a three pack of fish vans at Monk Bar Models (York-usual disclaimer, satisfied customer, no connection etc) last Friday, they also had the singles and parcels versions in stock at the time so they have been out there, and not just at the big box-shifters.

Cheers

J

There are some of the new Hornby Fish vans on Ebay at discounted prices. Just bought a three pack of white blue spots for £28.65p from Pufferwillies. (No connection).

Don't forget that HS1 was on time and on budget (as far as I recall)  ................

No where near.

HS1 was "built" in one half and 2 quarters - and originally intended (never promised) to be ready for the millenium.

The First "half" was the half-hearted adaptation of the third rail system in Kent to send Euro Star trains to Waterloo.  Late and over budget.

The second was "CTRL" ( Channel Tunnel Rail Link ) which was in two parts.  "Section 1" :- Folkestone to (basically ) M 25 and "Section 2" complete through to St Pancras.

"Secion 1" was so late and over budget that "Section 2" was suspended and the government refused to fund it.  After discussions/negotiations/whatever there was a private venture finance deal with an elongated progamme and almost doubled budget.

It is fair to say that "Section 2" achieved the revised programme and JUST within the revised budget  -  it is certainly NOT fair to say that the final costs and budget were anywhere near the original figures.

There is a vast majority (of realists/cynics) in construction who believe that since the late 90s almost all announced budgets and programmes have been so inflated that it is difficult to fail to achieve them, but CTRL managed it.  ( Likewise the budget for the Olympics swallowed its original budget and get perillously near its revised one. )

• RMweb Gold

Just bought a three pack of white blue spots for £28.65p from Pufferwillies. (No connection).

It is inconceivable that any thinking person would admit to a connection with an organisation called Pufferwillies. Where did they get such a name from?

Archived