2mm thick card for Scalescenes

philsandy

I've just downloaded a Scalescenes kit, a small engine shed in 4mm.

For thick card it says use 2mm. I have plenty of decent brown 2mm thick card from some boxes, good surface finish but it's corrugated. Would this type of card be suitable or would it be better using 2mm card that is "all one piece" so to speak?

For thin card  200 gsm is recommeded, would corn flake boxes do for this?

My advice Phil, is get thee to an art shop.  They'll have all sorts of good quality card and, if you haven't been to one before, loads of other interesting things.

Someone, elsewhere in forumland, pointed out that cereal boxes are designed to be biodegradable so are not suitable.

Given the amount of work that goes into these models, it would be a shame to compromise it for a few pence worth of decent card.

John

Most art shops will sell mounting board or greyboard. Both are suitable. Most greyboard is also produced from a consumer waste product (recycled) so is better for the environment.

Someone, elsewhere in forumland, pointed out that cereal boxes are designed to be biodegradable so are not suitable.

I thought all card was biodegradeable.

Small word of caution - most mounting board is 1.5mm thick - it's ideal if you are scratch building, but for Scalescene kits thicknesses of 2mm and 1mm really are crucial. E-bay is a pretty good source for particular sizes, and cereal packet for thin card is just right... (ask Chubber - he's the expert on cornflakes!)

I disagree with the thickness being crucial. As they are designed,  for printing on card - Yes. But as I have stated on this forum many times, because I model in the garage, I need damp-proof buildings, so I use plasticard. The Scalescenes download is printed on to a single sheet per page of A4 self adhesive labels (Rymans or Staples). These labels are then pressed down on to .0030 plastikard sheet before cutting out. Assembly is like an Airfix kit from then on, with a final coat of matt varnish (Iuse B&Q). However, in some places, such as window reveals or corners, I need to peel back the labell to wrap it round. Easily done, accomodating the places where a different thickness of card would have been preferred.

Try it, it works!

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

There is a degree of tolerance in the card, but not much. My first attempt at the footbridge steps went badly wrong (and I discovered this after I had left them weighted down overnight) as if the card is the wrong thickness the rise on the steps is wrong.  My card was too thin and so the angle of the stairs was too shallow.

I also managed to mess something up with the signal box:

Box%2520Penultimate%2520Stage.jpg

As you can see not only was the texture paper for the chimney stack too short to wrap all the way round, the far end bowed out as well.

• 1 month later...

When I design and build the models for railwayscenics kits the whole design process is set around using a certain thickness of card, so thickness is very important. If you use either thinner or thicker card, then the dimensions will alter, and some parts will not fit as designed, thus creating complaints that bits do not fit.

I think this was one of yours, Steve:

RS%2520Lockup.jpg

The only thing I found was that to model this with the doors open I had to make the walls single rather than double skinned, otherwise it would have made a good bomb shelter:

RS%2520Lockup%2520WIP.jpg

Nice kits, though, I had fun building this & have some more stashed away for when I have the building bug but restricted time.  Poor pictures as this is a phone camera, and any fault with the textures is my printer's fault not a problem with the lovely Railwayscenics prints!

• RMweb Gold

I've found Dalerboard (1.5mm thickness) perfectly fine for Scalescenes kits. Whatever you're doing and whatever kind of card you're using, there's no substitute for measuring everything as you go along and - should you find that the printed sheet doesn't quite cover the card - make appropriate adjustments in the build (usually far more preferable than throwing the work away and starting again!). If you need to, and if you're careful, you can print off some spare printed sheet (eg. bricks) and match them to the existing areas (if particularly worried, arrange the joint in the papers behind a drain pipe or similar).

I found 2mm thick greyboard at my local Hobbycraft store:

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-2-mm-greyboard-32x22/566217-1000

And the size is inches not centimetres!

Ebay is also good for 1mm stuff cut into A4 sizes but do shop around as prices vary widely. And for 2mm you can always laminate 2 sheets of 1mm, dependant on the area (size, not geographical location!)

1mm styrene would probably be rigid enough, but is a sod to cut.  Break-off knives are useful and readily sacrificial. I took a Stanley knife blade and use 2 3mm screws   to mount it on a piece of 3/8" square brass. It gives me enough leverage to cut through the 1mm styrene.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Steve! Should get round to ordering from you again, I was very pleased with the poster sets which look lovely inside & out my buildings.

Sadly not doing much modelling or train driving at the moment as my layout is 45 minutes away, work busy & I need to save up for a shed for a railway at our new home. May well be online Christmas day after your generous offer!

• RMweb Premium

I've just downloaded a Scalescenes kit, a small engine shed in 4mm.

For thick card it says use 2mm. I have plenty of decent brown 2mm thick card from some boxes, good surface finish but it's corrugated. Would this type of card be suitable or would it be better using 2mm card that is "all one piece" so to speak?

For thin card  200 gsm is recommeded, would corn flake boxes do for this?

If you ever fancy a trip out to Trident Trains ( very comprehensive range of all the railway brands) at Dagfields just south of Nantwich Cheshire you can combine it with a browse around the art shop which carries all different thickness of card and much much cheaper than Hobbycraft

Terry

1mm styrene would probably be rigid enough, but is a sod to cut.  Break-off knives are useful and readily sacrificial. I took a Stanley knife blade and use 2 3mm screws   to mount it on a piece of 3/8" square brass. It gives me enough leverage to cut through the 1mm styrene.

Dennis

Hi Dennis

No need to cut ,right through styrene,just score and snap,ive done even with a square hole cut out in a 2mm thick piece.

Tel 

• 1 month later...

I use Finnboard which I have found to be great for Scalescenes type kits.

Available in 0.9mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, and 3.0mm thickness and large sheets.

I get mine from here: http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/Finnboard/ITM6531

Seems to be cheaper than mount board that I have seen, unless you can scrounge off cuts for free of course.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Full details are listed within the kit instructions, however basically thicknesses are as follows:

For OO:

Light = approx. 200gsm (approx .35mm thick)

Medium = approx. 1mm thick (1000 microns)

Heavy = approx. 2mm thick (2000 Microns)

For N:

Light = approx. 80gsm (standard copier paper)

Medium = approx. 200gsm (approx .35mm thick)

Heavy = approx. 1mm thick (1000 microns)

Your best bet is to try your local art or office supply shop. If you don't have a supplier nearby, suitable card can be obtained from online suppliers such as the 4D modelshop  (located near Aldgate East in London) or Artesaver.com .

Alexander Paper Supplies and Papercutz.co.uk even offer A4 packs of 1mm and 2mm card. 

You could also try your local picture framers, they often have A4 size off cuts of mount board at a reasonable price!

Most card types are fine, 'mountboard' or 'pasteboard' are good, though I use cheaper 'grey board' for all my models. 

As long as the card you use is close to the recommended thickness, a certain amount of variation has been factored into the kits.

John 

• 1 month later...

My advice Phil, is get thee to an art shop. They'll have all sorts of good quality card and, if you haven't been to one before, loads of other interesting things.

Given the amount of work that goes into these models, it would be a shame to compromise it for a few pence worth of decent card.

John

I buy my 1mm & 2mm mounting card from Hobbycraft, it's £1.70 for an A3 sheet

Archived