Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Br Maroon inspection saloon, but out of the box it is missing a hand rail knob!

Not a huge job to replace, but not sure at £53 I should have too?

Anyway, how different, if at all is the inspection coach used By EWS from the Br maroon version.

I don't know if I should just re-paint this one or return it and see if Bachmann announce a EWS version in the next year or two?

And has anyone used the wheel picks up to power anything on the coach, lights / sound chip?

And has anyone used the wheel picks up to power anything on the coach, lights / sound chip?

Yes, having the pick-ups already fitted makes the fitting of lighting much easier. I fitted a strip of LEDs controlled by a decoder...

post-7247-0-70195400-1422014012_thumb.jpg

The results are definitely worthwhile, I think.

post-7247-0-93654100-1422014199_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-27570400-1422013963_thumb.jpg

Because of the large windows, you do really need to fit figures (and maybe paint the interior too). I didn't opt for a sound chip though, partly due to cost and partly because I didn't really think it was necessary.

post-7247-0-43846500-1422014384_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Guest spet0114

A slightly cheeky request, but here goes....

Does anyone have a detail pack for the LMS version (39-775) that they have no need for?  The one that came with mine was lacking in one of the additional pipes so I'd like to source a spare. 

I've contacted Bachmann (twice), but have had no response, so I'm not pinning my hopes on that route!

Thanks
Adrian

A slightly cheeky request, but here goes....

Does anyone have a detail pack for the LMS version (39-775) that they have no need for?  The one that came with mine was lacking in one of the additional pipes so I'd like to source a spare. 

I've contacted Bachmann (twice), but have had no response, so I'm not pinning my hopes on that route!

Thanks

Adrian

How have you tried to contact them? I've always had a pretty speedy response from them via the contact form on their website.

Cheers

Dave

Guest spet0114

How have you tried to contact them? I've always had a pretty speedy response from them via the contact form on their website.

Cheers

Dave

I've used the website form twice with no response to date.  If my latest attempt has no better luck I'll probably phone them up...

45045 Help with details in 1974ish

Does anyone have photos of 45045 in the early 1970s. Was it in plain blue? I do have one myself but it is a lot later in life (1989).

I haven't followed all of the details of Bachmanns releases so assume this one hasn't been produced.

I am asking because one of the Ebor members worked on this as the 'attendant' at that time. It is time in his modelling career to give him a gift from our Group and this would seem to be appropriate.

In return, he has supplied some official notices on working of this, York based, saloon and when I get some time I'll put some of the info on line somewhere. I haven't looked at the details but one I did see was haulage by a DMU!

Thanks for any help

Paul Bartlett

• Like 3

I'll have a look at the warm white ones you can get in maplin, but yours look to have a better more even spacing between the led's

As you say it makes all the difference, next question, what figures did you use?

There are some Bachmann businessmen in there, along with some figures from the Preiser range if I remember rightly.

Yes, having the pick-ups already fitted makes the fitting of lighting much easier. I fitted a strip of LEDs controlled by a decoder...

attachicon.gifInspection saloon 11.jpg

The results are definitely worthwhile, I think.

attachicon.gifInspection saloon 7.jpg

attachicon.gifInspection saloon 6 very closeup.jpg

Because of the large windows, you do really need to fit figures (and maybe paint the interior too). I didn't opt for a sound chip though, partly due to cost and partly because I didn't really think it was necessary.

attachicon.gifInspection saloon 10.jpg

Dave

Great job on your inspection saloon, liking the painted water pipes on the front, adds to the illusion, opening out the fronts of those prominent roof air horns with some small drill bits would also be worthwhile - need to get some of those figures for my own model.

Regards

Ken

I'll have a look at the warm white ones you can get in maplin, but yours look to have a better more even spacing between the led's

As you say it makes all the difference, next question, what figures did you use?

Jim just had a thought have you looked at Express models for the lighting strip.

Anyway, how different, if at all is the inspection coach used By EWS from the Br maroon version.

I don't know if I should just re-paint this one or return it and see if Bachmann announce a EWS version in the next year or two?

Hi Simon

Probably better to return it especially with the missing knob, an EWS version should come eventually, possibly a special or limited edition.

Comparing the photo below, the square box ? on the centre front would require removing, air horns added to the roof, the "vents" ? at the top of the doors would also have to go, there may well be changes to some of the windows also..... suitable EWS brandings may also be hard to find, as most transfer manu have stopped producing them

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60854097@N06/7049952393/in/photolist-bJYRek-85c2dZ-jHtfVc-cuyBcW-9GRPg7-7Hoa64-dama9B-damapt-9sHJf8-dambiN-dam9Yn-cuytmL-8gJvoW-5LscNi-a6vbsS-oy2iyn-dzghZL-cT6uhj-dzaNEx-4R4aqm-dzgixW-9W6Rj9

HTH

Ken

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking of the maplin strips if i made my own or traintech, not thought of express models, do they do short enough strips though?

Jim, have you thought of trying the Train Tec lighting strips? They are battery powered so you don't need any wiring and use motion sensors to turn on and off. I've got one to fit in my 153 when I get a break from work.

ColinK

Does anyone have photos of 45045 in the early 1970s. Was it in plain blue? I do have one myself but it is a lot later in life (1989).

Hello Paul,

Have you thought about contacting the Mid Hants?  They might have an idea of what it would have looked like c1974.  That said, I note that according to the VCT survey, the coach is for sale and it isn't shown on the Mid Hants on line stock list.  However, I cannot find any reference to 45045 having moved.

I'm sure you're ahead of me, but just in case.

Alun

• RMweb Premium

I haven't followed all of the details of Bachmanns releases so assume this one hasn't been produced.

I am asking because one of the Ebor members worked on this as the 'attendant' at that time. It is time in his modelling career to give him a gift from our Group and this would seem to be appropriate.

In return, he has supplied some official notices on working of this, York based, saloon and when I get some time I'll put some of the info on line somewhere. I haven't looked at the details but one I did see was haulage by a DMU!

Thanks for any help

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

Only three version released so far of the Inspection Saloon as:-

• 39-775 LMS Lined Maroon
  • 39-776 BR Maroon
  • 39-777 BR Blue/Grey

Not seen any other liveries announced as yet by Bachmann.

A college friends Father was involved with painting one at York Wagon Works in 1991/2 (i think), into I think LMS Maroon & Crimson, and as a result had a trip on it from York - York via Selby, Beverley, Brid, Scarborough, Malton.

I quite fancy one, but was wondering if the Blue/grey was appropriate for the 1980s to privatisation (1994ish) period?

Although I suspect the chance of picking on up due to their popularity is somewhat slim!

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Gold

Jim, have you thought of trying the Train Tec lighting strips? They are battery powered so you don't need any wiring and use motion sensors to turn on and off. I've got one to fit in my 153 when I get a break from work.

ColinK

just bought one of them from trident trains, also some Bachmann businessmen to populate the coach

as its going to be a 'modern image' coach im going to add an orange cant rail stripe, modern ohle flashes and do some touching up of detail parts such as electrical boxes etc, i'm also going to paint hi-viz vests on some of the figures, should look good behind my london underground 20!

Hi Paul,

I quite fancy one, but was wondering if the Blue/grey was appropriate for the 1980s to privatisation (1994ish) period?

My photo of 45045 in 1989 is in blue grey. I was a bit concerned that 15 years earlier it may have been plain blue. There was a general tendency to be restrictive with b/g early on, and BR  lightened up as someone realised all blue was horrible (apologies but I lived through it! Anyone whom wasn't there cannot imagine how awful everything in blue was - especially at a time when we suddenly had colour everywhere, from my orange trousers to colour TV :sungum: )

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2