Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

• 4 weeks later...

I appear to have missed out on the BR Maroon version, this model was on pre-order from TTC Diecast formerly known as the Loughborough Model Centre, it appears that there were quality control issues with this item, I have been told that there are more to be released, can anyone confirm whether Bachmann will release any more of this variant in the near future ???  

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but did the inspection saloons have a drivers position in them for when they were being propelled? If the driver was just in the loco behind then they must have had a very restricted view of signals and the line ahead. Was radio communication used between an observer in the saloon and the driver in the loco

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but did the inspection saloons have a drivers position in them for when they were being propelled? If the driver was just in the loco behind then they must have had a very restricted view of signals and the line ahead. Was radio communication used between an observer in the saloon and the driver in the loco

The LMS saloons only had a horn and a vacuum brake handle:

See penultimate entry here: http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22517

See second entry here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=7482.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

When propelled, these coaches were used for track (and sometimes signalling) inspections and necessarily these were done at slow speed so that the engineering staff in the saloon could actually look at what they were inspecting. Special signalling arrangements, or an engineering possession, would be in force as the saloon might need to stop in section if something problematic was spotted. When being pulled by the loco to or from the section of line to be inspected, normal speeds were achieved. The saloons were also used as mobile meeting rooms from time to time so finding one, with loco attached, in a siding for a few hours wasn't unknown if a major civil engineering project was being planned.

Special signalling arrangements, or an engineering possession, would be in force as the saloon might need to stop in section if something problematic was spotted.

Not necessarily. Until 1994 at least for routine inspections they were simply signalled on the block as a Class 9 train (Class 1 if not requiring to stop) and the time they needed to be clear of the section was agreed with the signalman. A lookout might be provided but that was as far as it went.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif45025 on Inspection saloon duties. (2).jpgThought another prototype photo would not come ammis, so here is 45025 at Preston around 1968.

David

Funnily enough I might well be tempted by a plain blue one. Had you thought of sending the photo to Bachmann as evidence to support that livery version?

Hi all,

I think that the saloon being propelled by 45025 is in fact one of the BR late 1950s build Diag (1/550?) as it appears to have the three identical windows with radius corners as opposed to the LMS Diag D2046 centre droplight square framing and therefore it would not be correct to apply the plain blue livery to a Bachmann model. I have only seen the plain blue livery on the non D2046 versions - as per Paul Bartlett's website.

cheers

Mike

Glad these have finally landed, I've just ordered one.  I'm sure I've seen photos of the one that was used in passenger trains on the Kyle Line (ADM 45028) with Highland Rail stags on the sides?  I can't find one now though!  Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,

Rick

Rick

I wonder if this may be the coach you've seen, the early Blue/Grey version of the 101 with White Stags on the front and sides ?  It only ran like this during 1987 prior to being re-painted Hebridean Green/Cream.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5732873995/in/photolist-9JAtH6-9JAtMn-9JAtCi

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5732874243/in/photolist-9JAtH6-9JAtMn-9JAtCi

Superb phots courtsey John Turner (53A Models)

HTH

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260