Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

As I said, I never thought to look closely at the LMS bogies on the various Inspection Saloons I saw, but they can only be riveted or welded. I don't know whose bogies to recommend because I have made my own bogie patters since the 1980's. If sticking a pin in a map, I suppose I would look at the MJT range.

MJT seem to only do the riveted variety. Comet do both, Wizard do neither, are there any other potential suppliers?

Regards

Allocation of the LMR District Inspection Saloon

REF: Bachmann D2046, does anyone have a list of the locations allocated, I believe there were 13 (in the range 45020-48 (not all numbers used) to the diagram 2046, the 999xxx are similar but built by BR.

Edited by creweboy

The excellent article by Steve Banks in the July 2006 issue of Model Rail lists the initial allocation as follows:

45043 Watford

45044. Walsall

45045 Manchester

45046. Leeds

45047. Lancaster

45048. Derby South

45020. Glasgow

45021 Derby North

45026. London (Watford)

45028. Liverpool

45029 Crewe

45030. Barrow

45035. PW Chief Engineer

45036. Perth.

The article is well worth tracking down as it gives details of the building and use of the LMS saloons. Photos show the ubiquitous Ivatt 2 2-6-0 in use but in BR blue a Class 26 is seen with a saloon.

David

• Like 1

Re the livery of the Saloons, if post 1961 then overhead warning flashes need to be added to the ends, M45047 was photographed with 2 warning flashes Above the 2 outer windows at one end in 1961.

45030 was also seen in 1977 with a single warning flash above one of the end windows.

Re the interiors I have 2 photos showing that the chairs were covered in a material that had very visible stripes.

David

The excellent article by Steve Banks in the July 2006 issue of Model Rail lists the initial allocation as follows:

45043 Watford

45044. Walsall

45045 Manchester

45046. Leeds

45047. Lancaster

45048. Derby South

45020. Glasgow

45021 Derby North

45026. London (Watford)

45028. Liverpool

45029 Crewe

45030. Barrow

45035. PW Chief Engineer

45036. Perth.

The article is well worth tracking down as it gives details of the building and use of the LMS saloons. Photos show the ubiquitous Ivatt 2 2-6-0 in use but in BR blue a Class 26 is seen with a saloon.

David

David,

Thanks excellent info, shows good spread across the LMR and ScR.

Mike 

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as everyone else has posted pictures of theirs, here is mine lurking deep in the heart (unprototypicaly I suspect!) of rural Sussex being pushed along by a Class 33:

post-6910-0-96833900-1409655846_thumb.jpg

I used the guide earlier in this thread to attach the end parts only to discover something not pointed out so far, the blue and grey version has more bits (ETH presumably) than the BR Maroon and I presume the LMS Maroon version as well.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as everyone else has posted pictures of theirs, here is mine lurking deep in the heart (unprototypicaly I suspect!) in the heart of rural Sussex being pushed along by a Class 33:

attachicon.gifP1050032a.JPG

I used the guide earlier in this thread to attach the end parts only to discover something not pointed out so far, the blue and grey version has more bits (ETH presumably) than the BR Maroon and I presume the LMS Maroon version as well.

My excuse is that the Southern Region's own inspection saloon has been damaged and that an LMR one is on loan while it is being repaired.

I think politicians and journalists call it Plausible Deniability but the L&Y tank pushing it will be harder to explain away!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

And I've decided to do the funny shaped one for the Lima bogie CCT/GUV thingy too.

Are you talking this type Dave?

post-508-0-75365500-1409682756.jpg

Excuse the quick drift OT.

Porcy

EDIT. I've just slapped myself round the face with a wet kipper. Realised your probably talking about the 42 footer. The word bogie didn't register!

Edited by Porcy Mane

So next question is, what's the difference? (Betwixt the LMS coach Buffer and the buffer used on the Lima thingy)

Maybe I need to swot up on LMS coaching stock buffers???

But:

post-508-0-81655000-1409684341_thumb.jpg

P

Edit: Wet Kipper time again. (It's still handy...) You're going to say clipped heads aren't you!

Edited by Porcy Mane

As a relative newby I asked questions regarding the ride height difference, the fitting of electrical contacts on the bogies and their use, access to the interior of the coach, exploded diagram/spares indentification. The answer from 'the horses mouth' was to tweak the axle mountings/contacts in which the axles are fitted to correct the ride height, that the contacts were not intended for any extra functions such as lighting, that the coach was not designed to be taken apart and that it wasn't policy to provide to provide exploded diagrams or spares for this model! One has to wonder if, despite the fact that railway modellers are buying this item, any consideration was given to detailing/upgrading of the model by purchasers during the design phase?

Many thanks for your response Coachman. As a newby having 'bitten the bullet' and decided to go for P4 I realise that I will have to do more work on a model than many who are happy with 'OO'. Having read and re read the posts on this thread much useful information has been obtained. My post was intended to highlight the conflicting and unhelpful response received to a customer enquiry. As an almost 'senior citizen' perhaps I am being a bit nieve in expecting a helpful response from a manufacturer in the 21st century.

So next question is, what's the difference? (Betwixt the LMS coach Buffer and the buffer used on the Lima thingy)

Maybe I need to swot up on LMS coaching stock buffers???

But:

attachicon.gifM37713M-42Parcels-SM.jpg

P

Edit: Wet Kipper time again. (It's still handy...) You're going to say clipped heads aren't you!

Hi Paul, the question came up on the Lima CCT improvement thread and this is what I said there :-

<Hi, Just looked through my books and had a look on Paul's photo site, The original buffer was an oval shape, not as big an oval as longer coaches like the twelve wheelers but definitely an oval, Essery/Jenkinson's first book shows the original buffer before the wee bit was cut along the top to better clear the dropflap, I can discern that the buffer face is quite curved but the angle of the photo makes the buffer look kinda round. Some vehicles on Paul's sight still have these buffers and one can see them on the drawing too. Later on vehicles received replacements which were a standard 18''LMS round coach buffer with a large cutaway at the top, again as seen in some of Paul's photos>

A few weeks ago I was able to measure up the original buffers on a CCT in question at SRPS Bo-ness and as of tonight I've got some in the next mould with the LMS coach buffers which should be available next week and at EXPO North.

One can also judge from your photo that the buffer heads were an usual shape compared to the buffer next to it.

Hope that helps and see you at EXPO.

Dave .

• Like 1

Many thanks for your response Coachman. As a newby having 'bitten the bullet' and decided to go for P4 I realise that I will have to do more work on a model than many who are happy with 'OO'. Having read and re read the posts on this thread much useful information has been obtained. My post was intended to highlight the conflicting and unhelpful response received to a customer enquiry. As an almost 'senior citizen' perhaps I am being a bit nieve in expecting a helpful response from a manufacturer in the 21st century.

Some useful information on P4ing the saloon is available here http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3836 including alternate arrangements and sprung bogies.

HTH

David

Just finished this O Gauge version of a Diag D2046 Inspection Saloon, again from a Sidelines kit + air horns & ETH, it is based on a photo on Flickr taken on 9th June 1983 at North Oxford.

Please note that I remembered that the solebars and buffer beams were painted blue!

regards

Mike

post-6951-0-77777800-1409733948.jpg

post-6951-0-77957200-1409733951.jpg

post-6951-0-16806400-1409733954.jpg

post-6951-0-12032900-1409733956.jpg

post-6951-0-89850300-1409733959.jpg

post-6951-0-44157400-1409733963.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Just finished this O Gauge version of a Diag D2046 Inspection Saloon, again from a Sidelines kit + air horns & ETH, it is based on a photo on Flickr taken on 9th June 1983 at North Oxford.

Please note that I remembered that the solebars and buffer beams were painted blue!

regards

Mike

Beautiful, just beautiful.

Are those 'plans' laid out on the table inside?

Kev.

Maroon with small yellow end , never seen it.  I'm sure the first sign of yellow was on the blue grey. By the time all diesel locos had to have yellow.

After all, propelling a coach with black ends was safer than hauling it with a dirty black loco as the speed was reduced and the driver had a good view.

IIRC (and I might not) the small yellow panel on locos was introduced c1962-3 but the corporate blue is a c1966 jobby. I haven't seen any photos of maroon saloons with a yellow panel but the brake tenders (something that was also intended to be pushed at first) certainly had them before the end of steam.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold

Further to my earlier post, regarding the poor construction and quality control resulting in bad running, here are a couple of photos detailing the problem.

post-12815-0-29985600-1409827073_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-11093100-1409827127_thumb.jpg

I've been in touch with the shop proprietor and am travelling there today to exchange the vehicle. (Plus a good perusal round resulting, no doubt, in some more released endorphins!)

Incidentally, whilst on the phone he was not only courteous, helpful and apologetic he was also concerned that this might be a 'batch problem'.

Kev.

I managed to buy my BG Inspection Saloon on Saturday.

What a lovely, lovely model of a much wanted prototype.

(I also bought 2 DPUs, and a couple of Departmental coaches too.)

I don’t have any track to run any models on yet but I can rustle up a couple of 6 inch lengths to sit a coach on. So that’s what I proceeded to do.

As I have wanted an Inspection Saloon for so long I opened this box first to ogle and admire.

First impressions were favorable of this splendid model - if a bit on the pricey side.

(A great price from the shop though: £50.00)

Placing it on the ~12” of track and things did not seem so good.

It did not sit right and looked ‘odd’, leaning and untrue.

Also, it did not free wheel and a rubbing noise could be heard when propelled back and forth along the 4” of ‘spare’ track.

Further inspection revealed the fault as a twisted chassis caused by a badly aligned and glued underframe.

This is (now) clearly visible and has twisted the body causing the inner two wheels on both bogies to rub against the Saloon’s floor. (This was exacerbated by the redundant pick-ups which at first misled me.)

The underframe can not be removed either – well not with my (lake of) modelling skills.

Further inspection shows significant use already!

All 8 wheels have dirt on the tires!

From this it is clear that this model has been run before and for quite some time too.

I’m gutted.

I know the shop will replace it BUT I am afraid that they may have already sold out. (They are closed today.) Also, getting to the shop is not easy for me.

Most disappointing, I’ll let you know how things proceed.

Kev.

Just bumping this so we can see what we're supposed to be looking for in Kev's pictures.