Warley Show - RMWeb meetings? - 23 & 24 November 2013 - Thread closed

bbishop

• RMweb Premium

I asked that this be unlocked again to add the evidence of crimes against beer...

These were taken at the Sunday meet up, nice to meet a couple of new faces that I didn't previously know, and to catch up with some old friends.

attachicon.gifP1040486.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040487.JPG

Andi

May I ask who's who or am I not allowed to ask that?

I'm the one at the end of the table with folded arms and an almost empty glass.  On my left, your right, is iL Dottore.  Front left is bbishop, next to him in the yellow shirt is Richard Brown, then comes Charles [a friend of iD] and after him MarkSG.

I'm wondering whether something more like a show of force is a good idea for future occasions.  A small but marauding band of RMwebbers could tour the show, picking up other inmates from behind their layouts in the manner of the Pied Piper of Hamelin but without the tin whistle and marching not into the side of a mountain but the nearest liquid refreshment outlet.  This would have nothing on the press gangs of Nelson's navy!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Nothing; great meet on Sunday, other than the ale being sour.  However the thread was started in order to keep the meets away from discussing the show itself.  Now that the meets are history, I can't see any point in continuing with the thread.

I asked that this be unlocked again to add the evidence of crimes against beer...

I know. When I was there, I couldn't find a pint of Hoegaarden anywhere.

Still, judging by some comments about draught beer, I think bottled is probably better. Speaking personally though, I'd much prefer the NEC Wetherspoons to what I'd expect to find inside an exhibition hall.

Looks like a jolly good time being had by all........I assume the 'Spoons floor staff had been very swift taking away all the empties? :D

They certainly were on Saturday - they also seemed to be kept rather busy, as often happens when there are a number of shows on at the same time at the NEC.

I got to Wetherspoons a few minutes before some RMweb members - which I didn't mind, as this gave me chance to compare notes with a few of the people visiting the motorbike show (they seemed like decent people, too). Amongst other things, they were commenting about the admission prices to their show - prices which quite a few of us would be very reluctant to pay.

I also enjoyed meeting with those RMweb members who were able to get to Saturday's meeting.

Unfortunately, I can't remember who everyone was, as I've always found it difficult to remember names. This wasn't helped by me being tired - with there only being one (awkwardly timed) coach a day between my part of the world and Birmingham / NEC, Saturday was effectively a 24 hour day for me. I was glad of the chance to sit down - and the chance to get to meet a number of really decent people (many of whom just happen to be RMweb members) was a bonus.

I'm the one with long hair that's only in one of the pics, Andy York is the chap with no hair who's only in the other one...

I'm the one at the end of the table with folded arms and an almost empty glass ...

... I'm wondering whether something more like a show of force is a good idea for future occasions. A small but marauding band of RMwebbers could tour the show, picking up other inmates from behind their layouts in the manner of the Pied Piper of Hamelin but without the tin whistle and marching not into the side of a mountain but the nearest liquid refreshment outlet.

If that photo had been taken on Saturday, I would have been very easy to spot - I'd have been the bearded, 40-something, guy with glasses, behind the camera.

No offence intended to anyone - I've never liked having my photo taken.

Being the correct side of a camera is far more my thing - especially if the camera is an "old school" 35 mm SLR - loads of technical fun to be had experimenting with different lenses, aperture, shutter and depth of field settings. However, before anyone cries foul at me avoiding going in front of cameras, I should add that I've never enjoyed taking "people" pictures either - technology, transport, buildings and landscapes are what interest me.

I must admit to slight reservations about any "gentle persuasion" stuff. The way things are, we might miss out on the company of a few RMweb members who just happen to be at a show - it's a pity, because I'm sure most would be every bit as decent as those who made it to the meet-up - but I'd rather that than also have even one person there who'd rather be elsewhere.

One of the things that that I really like about lunchtime meet-ups for members of RMweb (or any other forum sites) is the fact that everyone who's there actively wants to be there - and they've made an effort to get there (ie leaving the exhibition hall for a few minutes and getting their hand stamped). As they've gone to this trouble, it's probably fair to assume that they want to meet other members - and that they want the forum site to stay a success.

I'm sure that some RMweb members can't make these meetings - this is unfortunate - but going round reminding them about meetings they can't make won't necessarily do much for them. Anyway, there's nothing to stop other members making themselves known when visiting their layouts or stands - I've done this loads of times myself.

maybe have some sort of uniform?

Probably not for me - I'm not sure my wax cotton jacket would fit over a suit.

Anyway, with me being left handed, I wouldn't need to look like a gangster for some people to describe me as sinister.

Huw.

Archived